No Warmth from Campfire

Nevermore_VII

Descrip: I was in Pleasant Valley and forgot that the bear I was carving up had ruined my wolf jacket. After carving some meat, I was freezing. Immediately I started a campfire on flat ground using only a torch as fuel (as I had no wood). The fire started, but I was not receiving any warmth from it. I pulled out a lantern and noticed that my freezing meter was moving down with the lantern out, but not from the campfire. I ended up dying, so I wasn't able to replicate the bug. Not sure if it is Pleasant Valley that is the problem, or the specific area I was in (about 2 minutes run directly south of the Pleasant Valley Farmstead) or if it's because I used a torch as fuel.

I'll try to replicate the bug again when I start a new file and can craft torches. My initial thinking though is that campfires started with torches as fuel aren't giving heat.

Fires do indeed take a good while before they give of their maximum heat, so that could be it.

But I had a strange experience with a fire myself yesterday. I had killed a deer close to the PV farmstead, but I wasn't wearing good clothes so I started a fire. After 20 min (in game) the air temperature hadn't gone up at all. I was almost freezing now, so I ran back to the house and slept for an hour. I went outside again and the air temp still was as cold right next to the fire as it was in the middle of the field. (I know there used to be a bug that fires wouldn't give off any heat after going inside, but that seems to have been fixed as I've done this several times in v.200 and it has always worked.)

I let the fire burn out and started a new one and this time the temp started climbing immediately (albeit slowly as always).

• 3 weeks later...

I had this issue as well. I survived a bear attack, but my clothing and bedroll were destroyed. A white out snow storm began immediately after the attack. I found an overhanging rock and built a fire to try to warm up. The fire didn't have an effect, though, and I froze to death. I was also in Pleasant Valley.

I'll Look into this again, might be every 5th fire or something does this maybe?

Jeremy

Probably much less than that. I've started many fires and it only happened to me the one time. Like the original poster, it happened to me after a bear attack. Maybe there's some monstrous glitch that makes this happen only when the player is in mortal peril. Haha

Many of my attempt to make a fire outside because of freezing has ended with me burn my self to death because of lag of heat generated from the fire.

Also while sitting in a car freezing with a condition near zero trying to warm a bit from the Lantern or flare but no heat come out of it.

Archived