Currently I am on Day 357 on my Voyager run and I am running out of ideas of what I should work on/what to do next. I'm trying to get the 500 day achievement (The Will to Live) and get all skills to level 5 achievement (Skilled Survivor). As I am getting those achievements (In the background), I'm not sure what I should work towards. So far, these are the regions I have fully explored, partially explored, and never explored:

Fully explored (Areas where all loot has been taken):

Broken Railroad, Forlorn Muskeg, Mountain Town (Milton), Mystery Lake (Homebase), Ravine, Costal Highway, Crumbling Highway, Desolation Point, Winding River, and Pleasant Valley.

Partially explored (Areas where some loot has been collected but there is still a good amount of loot left):

Timberwolf Mountain and Ash Canyon.

Never explored (Areas where no loot has been collected):

Bleak Inlet (I plan to go here once I used a bunch of my ammo) and Hushed River Valley.

I plan to go to Timberwolf Mountain next for a trip to get the rest of the loot at the Summit. After that, I plan to go to Ash Canyon to get the rest of the loot that I left at the Gold Mine. However, once I do those two things, I got no idea what to do. I plan to go to Bleak Inlet at the very end, once all my skills (besides Gunsmithing) are at level 5 and I used a lot of my ammo. During the time between exploring Ash Canyon and going to Bleak Inlet, however, I got no idea what to do.

I was going to ask if anyone has ideas of what to work on during the "End Stage" of the game, as I am low on ideas. This might also help other people who are at the "End Stage" of the game but are stumped on what to do next.

I am also on the same quest as you and have spent my time collecting all the notes, collecting all the polaroids and am currently collecting all the buffer memories.  I have been the last ~40 days at BR and have 5/9 of the buffer memories there.  I have 2/3 from FM where I intend to move to next.  I am on day 439 and The will to live is the last achievement for me but collecting has been passing time.  I will say the buffer memories are the most painful, RNG go screw yourself thing to collect.  Once you fully explore and scavenge a map it's just a boring waiting game.  I really hope they revamp the buffer memories for future players into something more attainable.  Needless to say when I get the achievement then I will not continue collecting the buffer memories because it's just painful.

That said I did have a lot of fun with the notes/polaroids collecting aside from the various missing locations on the wiki that have been updated.

• Like 1

I've never been to HRW. 

I remember I went once. And it looked like everywhere, and I almost died because I got lost. That's why I never went there again. If I don't feel like dying, I'm never going back there. Even Ash Canyon is easier. 

I want to get rid of it right now. I wonder if I should go there when I'm done. 

And there's smoke that won't stop there? I saw something like that somewhere, but I don't remember where. 

I suggest you plan yourself a hunting trip in your game. Collect the skins you collect from different regions in one place and make yourself a set. If you have a set, first fix them, then prepare a new set and put the pieces on top of them in the different regions you use the most and leave them. It might come in handy the next time you come. 

But remember, don't pick all the animals from one area. You can set an equal hunting limit for each type of animal in a region or for each region. As a base, you can also specify the hibernia whaling station. Because it's at one end of the map and it's got one entrance. 

Good luck with that. 

• Upvote 1

Interesting. Here's my path..

TLD_regions.thumb.jpg.56eebe997e6fb354a5e81c15ab31b321.jpg

started out at coastal highway almost at ravine and immediately went to ravine and began going in a long loop to the left getting all important stuff. Get clothes, guns, tools and then got to pleasant valley. There I spent a decent chunk of my time and actually started hunting to get craft able items. After that, went to coastal highway and settled there for a while. When I needed to craft arrowheads, went to desolation point. Made a base in lighthouse and went back to coastal again. Not very long after, crafted bear bed and went to TWM through pleasant valley. Made base there, and did another shuttle trip back to coastal and back to grab more supplies. Then went to ash canyon and back to get backpack and crampons. No detours whatsoever. There and back to TwM. Settled again and went to get acquainted with summit. Then back again. Then went to pleasant valley again to get metal and cloth. Then settled again to hunt some more and build up bow skill. Just few days ago and today more exploration of places in TWM. Also mapper both caves for easy directions.(painted arrows).

Now I'm planning to go probably back to coastal highway and perhaps go to bleak inlet because I will need at some point to go and fix my tools(one day). And since I haven't been there, it'll be a good opportunity to go feed timberwolves and die(not.) 

I have satellite bases set up everywhere after first entering pleasant valley, which I should have started from the beginning, but I didn't have enough weapons and clothes and tools. Wanted to stock up first. 

After reading what @Sherlock Holmes 18 said about HRV, I am not sure if I even want to go there. Maybe later when I decide to travel to mystery lake..

I think the best way to stay out of boredom is to continue exploring because sitting in one spot when you're set for life with food and everything, gets boring. I tried a bunch of hunting and actually have my own thing to kill wolves with bow. You have to aim low and wait when he is nearly ready to jump because shooting further away he dodges left and right and by the time he is close, you're not ready with your bow. Or use shotgun from distance or revolver closer. I am still not very competent at estimating trajectory from moderate to far distances.🙄😫😂

Either way, there is still plenty to do I guess. Get some good screenings and post for us to see or try lighting up the huts or other buildings, but I can see 8t might be a problem with fuel and supplies and wildlife when playing harder dificulties😊

Thank you for reading:)

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, Stinky socks said:

I think the best way to stay out of boredom is to continue exploring because sitting in one spot when you're set for life with food and everything, gets boring.

Ya I think that's what my problem is. I'm pretty much just staying at my home base at the Camp Office (In Mystery Lake) and it's getting really boring. I'll take your advice and go for that trip (To Timberwolf Mountain) quicker than I was planning.

7 hours ago, Sherlock Holmes 18 said:

I suggest you plan yourself a hunting trip in your game.

Along with that I can level up my rifle/revolver skills (To get them to level 5), so I will most likely do that after my trip to TWM and AC.

5 hours ago, peteloud said:

Have you fully mapped each region?

I don't plan to go for that achievement, as it's going to take way too long in my opinion. I went for some of the polaroids/vistas to get a good chunk of the map revealed in some of the regions but I haven't fully mapped each region.

On 2/23/2021 at 5:06 PM, The Orange Birb said:

I don't plan to go for that achievement, as it's going to take way too long in my opinion. I went for some of the polaroids/vistas to get a good chunk of the map revealed in some of the regions but I haven't fully mapped each region.

I thought that before aiming for it. Yet it took me only 40 or so ingame days to get it. Now I am sitting at ~210 days and don't know what else to do. 500 seems crazy.

I just started a stalker run in HRV and it was good fun trying to survive in a map I did not know - I made it to 20 odd days before moving on out fairly well equipped and having a blast, the highlight was killing a moose with a flare gun (had nothing else).

Suggest you head on over there and enjoy yourself without using a map!

• Like 1

You could spice things up by restricting the supplies you take to the next region, especially regions you're  unfamiliar with. This can give you a bit of that excitement from early game. The struggle to find that one item that'll help you survive. For instance...

take some ammo, but not the gun. Will you find the rifle in that zone?! Oh the drama!

take just one fire starting method ( 1 striker, 1 box of matches, or 1 magnifying glass) This will force you to be careful of starting fires needlessly while you hunt for my supplies.

pick either the knife or the hatchet but not both

don't bring any food with you! That'll really get that anxiety going! Hunt and scavenge along the way, you're over 300 hours so you're an ANIMAL!

Not kidding really either, I'm nearly at 400 and this is some of the choices I've made to get my heart back into the game. 500 seems forever away, but we can do it!

• Upvote 1

It took two headshots, the flares sit on his forehead - he ran around a lot on the first one with a head glow and then dropped soon after the second shot!

I was sure I would be crushed, but just had to try it 😜

Super tense experience & why I love this game 👍🏽

Edited by IamSameer
  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, Gracia_WolfSlayer said:

don't bring any food with you! That'll really get that anxiety going! Hunt and scavenge along the way, you're over 300 hours so you're an ANIMAL!

Sounds like an interesting idea. I'll probably give it a shot after the trip to TWM and AC.

Only problem is: If a blizzard comes out of no where or all of the animals just decide to not show up for some odd reason, then that can lead to some problems. However, it is a challenging/fun idea.

6 hours ago, Gracia_WolfSlayer said:

500 seems forever away, but we can do it!

You can say that again lol. Currently I'm at around Day 360 and going from Day 350 to 400 seems like a while. However, Day 500 will come eventually.

• Like 1

HRV is a beautiful zone and quite fun to play!  The loot is top tier as well.  Just be careful about goating there as many of the cliffs are not goatable and you will fall to your death.  

My latest game I started in Ash Canyon, made a beeline for the gold mine and got the technical pack and crampons.  Then I went to TWM, directly to the summit and got epically geared.  Then I went on to PV, found some tools I was missing, found some arrows and a bow, and the ammo cache (score!).
From there it was a quick trip to ML, straight through to Mountain Town, and right to HRV.  There I found the Mysterious Signal Fire right where it was supposed to be, and got my free moosehide bag.  

and that’s how I ended up with all the best gear (minus cowichan sweater and crafted), 120 pistol rounds, 40 rifle rounds, and 9 arrows on day 9! 

after that I messed around in HRV exploring everywhere until I got bored.  Now I’m back in Mountain Town messing with the wolves and working on my archery.  I have 19 arrows without ever visiting a forge!  

• Like 2
2 hours ago, RegentRelic said:

This is off topic, but why is your text always orange.

As stated in my 'About Me' section:

"Orange is my favorite color, you probably didn't know that ;)"

Hopefully that answers your question, if my name didn't give it away...

1 hour ago, wilsonaka said:

It's "The Orange Birb". I think that answers your question. 😁

^^^

6 hours ago, Bean said:

HRV is a beautiful zone and quite fun to play!  The loot is top tier as well.

Besides the moose-hide satchel and birch/maple saplings, what loot does HRV offer? If there's a lot of bullets over there (Or some other good loot), I might explore that region next. :) 

Also to update my post:

Fully explored (Areas where all/most loot has been taken):

Broken Railroad, Forlorn Muskeg, Mountain Town (Milton), Mystery Lake (Homebase), Ravine, Costal Highway, Crumbling Highway, Desolation Point, Winding River, Pleasant Valley, Timberwolf Mountain, and Ash Canyon.

Bleak Inlet (I plan to go here once I used a bunch of my ammo) and Hushed River Valley.

• 1 month later...

To update my post again:

Fully explored (Areas where all/most loot has been taken):

Broken Railroad, Forlorn Muskeg, Mountain Town (Milton), Mystery Lake (Homebase), Ravine, Costal Highway, Crumbling Highway, Desolation Point, Winding River, Pleasant Valley, Timberwolf Mountain, Bleak Inlet, and Ash Canyon.

Hushed River Valley.

I got the "Skilled Survivor" achievement as well, which is great! :) 

I'm also on Day 440, so only 60 more days left! 

And anyone seeing this post, is it worth going to Hushed River Valley? I already have the moose-hide satchel, over 150 prepared reishi mushrooms, over 100 prepared rose hips, over 200-300 old man's beard lichen, 25 of reishi and rose hip teas, etc. I'm all good on "natural" loot, but is there loot like bullets over there?

There are some bullets in HRV, but not a lot.  You’ll have to find the hidden caches.  Average maybe 20 revolver shells and 10 rifle shells.  Other stuff that’s usually or always there: flare shells, fire striker, bow and arrows, matches, premium clothing (could get another cowichan).  Also birches for arrow shafts and maples for bows.  
Mostly it’s something to do.  Gets boring sitting in one place for a few hundred days

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Bean said:

There are some bullets in HRV, but not a lot.  You’ll have to find the hidden caches.  Average maybe 20 revolver shells and 10 rifle shells.  Other stuff that’s usually or always there: flare shells, fire striker, bow and arrows, matches, premium clothing (could get another cowichan).  Also birches for arrow shafts and maples for bows.  
Mostly it’s something to do.  Gets boring sitting in one place for a few hundred days

Huh, seems like there's a lot more loot there than I first thought. After I'm done cooking a ton of food, I will spend the rest of my days exploring HRV. Should be an interesting experience, as I have no clue how to navigate around that region. Thanks for the help! :) 

• Like 1

@The Orange Birb

Very well done.  :)

I too love making my own little personal challenges in the survival sandbox.
It seems you started this thread for a similar purpose; and your progress has been great.

I always have the urge to venture out... I tend to set up at least a couple of primary encampments in each region.  That alone can keep me busy for a few hundred days (just exploring and trying to build up reserve stocks at my chosen spots).  If I start feeling a little too comfortable... I tend to just set out again with nothing but my essentials kit, and get set up again in a different area.

So far, I've never been bored with anything on Great Bear Island... but then I'm the kind that does well in a sandbox (that is I am one of those who thrives in a "make your own fun" type of situation). :D

:coffee::fire::coffee:
I really love that once we get proficient with our survival tasks, that it's really up to us to find creative ways to just live in Great Bear on our own terms... and for how long.

[Addendum]
My current personal challenge is an interloper run where I refuse to go to a forge... it's taught me that with a bedroll and a few snares, I can live just about anywhere. :D

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2