More Opportunity to Climb w/o rope

UTC-10

There is currently a mechanic for climbing a defined location by hand without a rope.  Those locations are not very high (which means it is not difficult to skyrim down, level by level) and the act of climbing is a continuous act once started (whether going up or down) for each level.  I would call this "free" climbing.

Suggest that, from time to time, as time allows, the devs consider putting in more such locations, even climbs with many more steps that players could use to access specific (dev selected) spots for reasons such as "I did it", "Wow what a vista", "I always wondered what was up here", etc. There is no particular reason why it has to be present in a region when the region is introduced.  Nor does it have to be particularly significant in any way.  Maybe Mystery Lake or Desolation Point or Pleasant Valley might occasionally have some new spot become accessible on occasion or just as an alternative to climbing a rope.  

I am under no illusions about the difficulty or labor required to make something like this go in a particular location.  I would expect that the [Free] Climb mechanic might need some modification and adjustments.  Can it handle the player having to do much like with rope climbing, press forward to go up or reverse to go down? Can the climb be made substantially longer?  How will that affect the character?  Can a burdened character still climb up or down though perhaps at comparable speed to how he might move if he was walking? Can the character use a revolver while on the climb i.e. one-handed?

I was in Ash Canyon and thought it would be nice to be able to get on top of some places which can't be mapped because there is no access  or no place high enough and near enough to substitute for being there.  Obviously some places might be inaccessible for a reason known only to the devs but other places?

Edited by UTC-10
tags.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Sherlock Holmes 18 said:

I'd like to see the development of the places we came out of holding on to the little roots in Milton. Anyway, on a note at the TWM, he says, "I'm going to do a free climb to hang a rope up there." If the people who came before could do it, why shouldn't we? Maybe we should read a book to learn how. 

I've made a suggestion about Climbing to have a skill progression, but i meant to do it using rope climbing. Add free climbing to it, and we would have a even more complex and interesting system.

I like it :D 

I'm going to agree with PeteLoud and say that I can't see it coming into the current game, but I've seen Raph muse about how rock climbing is a natural fit for the milieu and I would not be surprised if it showed up as a game mechanic in TLD 2: The TLDening.

One thing that would be cool would be if crampons allowed climbing much steeper terrain, so you could like put on crampons and skinny up a tree. However, I think that's a lot more likely to be a next gen feature of the game.

• Upvote 1

I fervently hope something like this would still make it to classic TLD -- along with an equally passionate wish for a sequel. :)

I've done a fair bit of climbing and am super surprised how intricately and in how positive light the activity is represented, both Storymode and Survival. For example the Climber's notes betray a deeper understanding of the activity on the part of Hinterland. This has me hoping there would be more of it, and this suggestion that a free climbing spot would be a rare Easter Eggish (hopefully randomly placed just like e.g. the bunkers and signal fires!) offering a Wow! experience is top!

• Upvote 1

On 2/24/2021 at 12:56 AM, Stoutlander said:

Recreational climbing vs trying to scale a large rock surface with a pack and bedroll (with possibly a rifle or bow) on are two very different things. Maybe they would have to also add a light weight rope so our guy can pull his gear up after he /she climbs?

Rope-hauling a bag up less-than-vertical terrain is tricky.
More often than not the load gets stuck, especially if the bag is not a purpose-built technical haul bag with e.g. a torpedo shape. Perhaps this could be an incentive in a possible free climbing zone for the player to do a risky free climb: to retrieve an old technical bag and the contents? Most such kit stores well,  for example the US/CAN Nanga Parbat 1988 expedition was saved by ropes (and snacks) they found stashed in a bag left on the wall for years, at over 7 km!

Edited by Nordique
  • Like 1