Stephen King is driving me crazy

TarjaS

This is related to the game, I swear. Well, loosely related. I went to the library, partly to see the new library building as I hadn't visited there yet and partly to check the Finnish translation of The Stand to get the quotation used in the game. I have the unabridged version of The Stand in English in my Kindle, so it was easy to check where in the book to find it.

However, it seems that the Kindle version is yet another edit of the book as the translation of the "complete and unabridged edition" from 1990 does not contain that passage. Actually, there is an entire long paragraph in the Kindle version that cannot be found in the translation. AAARRRGGGHH! He did it again! I wonder how many versions we're going to still get, each longer than the previous one.

I'm happy to tell that I also found "I am legend," which I'm currently reading as it is totally fascinating (I have seen the movie with Vincent Price in it) and Thoreau's "Walden" (Walden Reader helped in locating the quotation in the book).

In case you're wondering why all this, the explanation is that when a text to be translated contains quotations from other published works, the preferable way to handle those is to check the existing translation, use it, and add an attribution to the translator of that work. I know I could just as well translate the quotations myself, but I'm sort of a stickler with stuff like this. Besides, the new library looks really nice inside.

Hi Tarja! Sounds like for Stephen King, that quote may be best served as a translation rather than finding it in a published FInnish version. If you need any help with technical translation issues with regards to getting it into the game, please feel free to let the translation team know with an email to info at hinterlandgames dot com.

Thanks!

No technical problems now that all the CSV export and character set problems are solved. Mostly I just needed to vent on the infuriating habit of Stephen King to "improve" his works, specifically The Stand, by releasing new, longer versions. As if the original wasn't long enough.

Archived