Open or Concealed Carry? :-)

straffin

I've recently gotten much better with the "2" and "H" keys to draw and holster my revolver, but I used to walk around all the time with my revolver drawn.

I shot a lot of wolves that way. And a lot of sticks. And some doors and vehicles... 🙄 I'll even admit to Alt-F4ing once or twice just to get that stupid ammo back. 🤣 I still get jump-scared by wolves too much to want to put the gun away, but those same jump-scares will cause me to shoot a snowbank, so it's better holstered, right?

What do you do? Walk with weapon-in-hand, or are you a quick draw killer? 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I stopping walking around with a pistol out after I accidentally shot it indoors and scared myself. I dislike wasting ammo, but I dislike reloading the game to get it back even more as it kills my excitement in the game.

I think when I was new and playing at voyager, my goto was a torch against wolves, but after I learned a single misclick wastes a match, I stopped doing that too. After ~200 hours in the game I didnt have anything out. I never need to react quickly to a wolf bark unless I'm very close to corners/hills, in which case I'll momentary have something ready. And if the wolf's far away, I let it stalk me for a long time and have a torch/weapon out ready to use for when/if it starts charging at me.

Edited by TheKnightIsDark
  • Upvote 2

I don't usually walk with the revolver drawn, it's too easy to get scared or something and shoot randomly. I hate the waste of ammo, so I prefer to keep it just in the inventory. I draw it just in case I ear wolves near-by. If I have with me the rifle though, I keep it drawn, it make it easy even when there are only deers around, cause if you need it's fast to use.

screen_3a924c7f-b17c-4a66-9ad4-d1c057221170_hi.png

• Upvote 1

Unlike everyone, I always walk around with a gun, except indoors. I rarely shoot by mistake. And when it happens, if I'm facing a wolf, they're always dying, and I can't do anything. When that happens, I stop the game and realize how long I'm standing over my computer and get up a little bit. Then I move on and leave the wolf alone with his bitter fate. 

• Upvote 1

I do both - walk around without revolver and with revolver in hands. But if I know I will be entering something or picking up a stick, I always holster it first. Think I only ever shot a stick once and since then, I am very careful of that happening. I also often walk around with a bow, since then you can just crouch and pick up the stick, at least till you get to level 5. But since that way you just "Draw" the arrow and can just put it back, its not a big deal there. 

The way to go is to just avoid wolves whenever possible. I found out that stones are very good for just that. They help a lot to redirect wolves to walk other way, that way you can just avoid the whole encounter altogether. And, if they do spot you, they wont just attack unless you show agression by targeting them first, - they will follow you and growl. In a way, you can walk with the wolf stalking you and just walk away. Or light a fire to scare them away. Or, drop a flaming torch and aim at the wolf so the wolf runs over the flaming torch - that is also a sureway to scare it away. 

But most of all, its best to just avoid them altogether. I hardly ever fire a gun in the game - I prefer to conserve ammo like a lunatic. Revolver is however very handy against Timberwolves.

Edit: almost forgot. I usually use radial menu to select a specific weapon. I use 2 just for when I know the weapon I want to take out is my first. But by using radial menu a lot, you get used to it, and that way, you can fairly quickly use it to draw the weapon you want. I do that a lot because I will throw a stone behind a deer to scare it and make it run (hopefully) towards me, and then instantly pull a bow out and draw it for a very close shot at the deer.

Edited by Mroz4k
  • Upvote 2

On 2/22/2021 at 9:28 AM, Bean said:

Depends on the console.  If I’m playing on the PS4, I can walk about with a revolver equipped without danger of it going off.  The Use and Fire buttons aren’t the same on that console as they are on the computer.  

What? Consoles have at least some advantage with controls?.......These are dark times indeed. How is could the devs possibly have let this happen?

In my experience pressing 2 is quick enough to get it out for regular wolves.
I also hate shooting objects, so after a few such fails decided for "concealed carry", unless I'm closing into an area where I particularly expect wolves.
In general I'm moving around rather carefully, listening all the way, so very rarely get ambushed... By listening to the howls you can have an idea in which direction and how many wolves are around. (good headphones are a must though...)
Also relinked the "put-away" key to F, as that is closer, and my left hand became (somehow... 😉 ) pretty good in taking it out and putting away very quickly.

For timberwolves I tried a different tactic in my current stalker: using the rifle and crouching I snipe them out from afar, before they can notice me. If I'm outside of their notice area, they won't run to me even after I hit one of them, so can comfortably clean the way ahead...
With the revolver they start running the moment I try to aim at them, so found that to be "rather dangerous"...

Other than the above, I'm only using the rifle against bear (1 shot + waiting for them to bleed out) and moose (trying to shoot it from a safe/non-routable location). In these cases I have it out, crouching around until I find the best place and moment to shoot.

btw, I do not always aggro regular wolves, even if they start to follow me, I found I can simply keep walking away from them, in 80% (?) of the cases they just give up after a while (provided that I'm not tired and can walk with a reasonable speed).

Edited by AdamvR
  • Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, AdamvR said:

For timberwolves I tried a different tactic in my current stalker: using the rifle and crouching I snipe them out from afar, before they can notice me.

I discovered this method as well and have been using it to clear them for a year now.  With rifle 4 or better, it’s pretty darn easy to take out a pack.