Ignoring wolves

Old Hermit

Someone there already tried to ignore the stalking wolves and just go ahead? I did it some times and it is even funny.

At some moment, when i noticed it barking on me, i started a 2 seconds sprint, only to keep a safe distance, then i simply followed my way, ignoring the wolf, and i noticed that the distance between us rarely changed. So, i walked up all the way from the gas station garage in Costal Highway to the upper mine, with a doggy on my heels. This was the first time i noticed that behaviour.

the second try ended in a struggle, because i was pushing it to the limits, to see how it works, and i stopped to browse inventory.

I tried several other times, checking if they would follow me inside caves, or through different areas, etc.

We can even walk through rabbit areas, and at some moment the rabbits will run towards the wolf, taking their attention, and giving us the opportunity to go away or easily fire back.

(using google translator)

• Upvote 2

Yeah, that's pretty much standard procedure when you're unarmed. Just gotta make sure the wolves do not close the distance and you can even walk close to trees and natural obstacles to make their pathing more difficult. As long as you're not super fatigued or massively overencumbered you can easily outwalk them. 

What I usually do is throw rocks to draw the wolves away from my path and put myself into favorable angles so if they detect me I can just keep going on my merry way. I also need to do some test runs to see how well can I throw rocks at charging wolves and hit 'em, that would be very useful in single region challenges where you have no weapons to defend yourself, I'm pretty sure there are players who can do that pretty easily.

It is a valid strategy. It is not always a good idea - especialy when carrying a lot of gear. Also this really is only possible in a place where you have a lot of space to work with. Personally I prefer to distract wolves with stones, as this strategy also works with bears. You cant just "walk away" from a bear, at least I would not reccomend it. Sometimes they stalk you too, but if they decide to charge, things go badly. 

Another way to handle the wolves is with a fire, and lit torch thrown on the ground. But yes, simply minding your own business and walking away is a valid strategy.

I think there's an RNG for a wolf to give up a chase vs keep stalking you and closing the gap. And even if you can sprint to get some distance, the wolf will do the same until they catch up to where they were. If this continues for long enough, the wolf will eventually attack

So I personally always let a wolf stalk me and I walk away, but with a torch/flare/gun in my hand. That way I can make the most of the stalking phase, and increase my chances it gives up without me needing to waste any resources. And in case the wolf decides to attack, I can prevent it (or if high condition/stats, be prepared for a struggle)

Edited by TheKnightIsDark

This is what I always do, just walk away, maybe the odd little sprint to maintain distance. Walk in a way that puts obstacles in their path. It's extremely rare that I end up having to defend myself; there's always some sort of shelter I can easily make it to first.