What About Protection in Wolf Struggles?

Vince 49

I've read several posts providing information on the mechanics of wolf struggles.  From them I've seen that the heavy hammer will usually get the wolf off you the quickest, but it only scares the wolf who may come back to attack you again.  Also, that the hatched is usually a bit better than the knife as a bleed out weapon.  Relative to injury to the player, all the posts state that the player's condition is the most important factor.  However, none of the posts I've seen address the effect of protection on the amount of player damage.  With the Moose-Hide Cloak and the Gauntlets, it's possible to have a protection of 50% or more.  I would think that this would have a significant effect on the outcome of a wolf struggle.

Does anyone have any hard information on the effect of clothing protection on the outcome of wolf struggles?

Edited by Vince 49

I find the best method to protect against wolves is to evade them through stealth or distraction.

"What's that noise?"       "There's someone prowling there.."        "I think I heard something!".

Another very handy, but expensive method(if traveling) is to drop a decoy when you back away. The wolf will take the decoy and surprisingly isn't even interested in chasing you afterwards! I noticed it a few times; he just walks off happily🤔

If you are good with weapons, you can aim for the kill from distance or as he is closing in, but he will dodge your aim.

Problem with protection is, it slows you down or doesn't provide much warmth.(which makes sense).

1 hour ago, Vince 49 said:

Hi @wilsonaka, I did learn a lot from your posts with I originally saw them.  However, I can't find anywhere where different protection levels were compared to wolf struggle damage.  If I missed it, please do let me know.

Yes, in the original post, there is the spreadsheet/database info that portrays the damage per struggle dependent on protection. I.E. 2 thin wool sweaters as only protection. It just off-puts the chance of damage, and I'm pretty sure the damage is RNG at that point.

@wilsonaka, Thanks.  I missed that.  I'll go over the post again.

@Stinky socks, all the things you mentioned help, but don't prevent surprise attacks.  Less than an hour ago, while playing a Stalker game, I was walking through a usually wolf free area and a wolf came over a rise and attacked me without warning.  Things like not letting your condition get too low, wearing cloths with high protection*, and having your defensive weapon of choice as sharp as possible can make the difference between an inconvenient struggle and having to start a new game.

* My favorites items that combine good protection with reasonable warmth/wind bonuses are the Moose-Hide Cloak and the Gauntlets.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is a really late reply, I did compare protection and 3% vs 30% was not a factor. Sorry if I've missed some discussion. The whole point was to find the factors and protection wasn't one , or at least below third place. I think protection protects inner clothing and for taking a beating when suffering falls, not wolf attacks. Bear attacks not tested, but accessory slot focus and certain items. Without data, I would say moose attacks probably different and less overall for damage and protection.