Boiling Bandages

Willy Pete

Random idea I had driving to work: what if bandages were re-useable? 

One way it could work is like this: after applying a bandage to either stop bleeding or cure a sprain you have some amount of time where you remain in a "wounded" status and further attacks or falls can cause your wounds to re-open and destroy the bandage for good. If, however, you pass this "wounded" status' time requirement you are rewarded with a dirty bandage (this would also use some of the bandage's condition, maybe 25-35%). 

Dirty bandages can be used in place of regular bandages, but using them comes with an infection risk where you would have anywhere from 20-50% of getting an infection from using the bandage similar to how intestinal parasites work: after the "wounded" status is overcome the virtual dice are rolled and you do or not not get an infection.

Instead of using a dirty bandage, however, you can boil them instead to clean them into a regular bandage (this would not restore the bandage's condition loss). Bandages would still have a limited number of uses before they are ruined and cannot be repaired.

• Upvote 7

• 3 weeks later...

I think this is a fundamentally good idea, would help especially with the lack of bandages in the long game. Bandages used for sprains should be fine to reuse after maybe an hour. For and after bleeds though is a different story. Dirty bandages though shouldn't be useable in my opinion, you should have to boil them in potable water first before they could be used, granted with condition lost,. Plus considering all or at least most bleeding injuries in game come with infection risk anyway, a dirty bandage should just cause immediate infection.  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

You are right that they are usually cotton based.

In general, I try to limit my suggestions on the forum to using items already in the game so that devs already have the assets.

Perhaps Cattail plant heads could be used in conjuction with rabbit skins? They should be fibrous on the inside.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/21/2021 at 5:33 AM, Omnijack said:

You are right that they are usually cotton based.

In general, I try to limit my suggestions on the forum to using items already in the game so that devs already have the assets.

Perhaps Cattail plant heads could be used in conjuction with rabbit skins? They should be fibrous on the inside.

Cloth is common enough. I see no use for other types of bandages.

Guest jeffpeng

Unless you plan to make it to day 3652.5 .... there are probably enough ways to acquire cloth.

The entire premise of there being technically finite resources in the long dark is a little bit how the depletion of fossil fuel reserves is always 50 years away since the 1970s: It's technically true, but you are trying to solve a problem so far away that you don't even know if it will ever manifest.

Edited by jeffpeng

4 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

Unless you plan to make it to day 3652.5 .... there are probably enough ways to acquire cloth.

Way longer than that even. I don't have the numbers in front of me anymore but I had a run a couple years back where I harvested everything, including every piece of scrap cloth in the game. Curtains, towels, scarves hanging on hooks, chairs, etc. It was thousands, and I used on average one bandage per game month. So at that rate I would use approximately 6 pieces of cloth on bandages per year, meaning I would've had enough bandages for like 500 years worth of survival. And that's not including additional cloth acquired via beachcombing. Also this was before Ash Canyon and Bleak Inlet so that base number has only gone up.

• Upvote 1

I don't know how hard it woupd be to implement or how much it would really add to the game, but I'm all for it simply for the immersion. To me just as important or more is that perhaps you should have to boil the cloth before you use it in the first place. Who knows what is on those pieces of cloth.

There is another good survival game called Neo Scavenger that uses this mechanic.