How many hours in TLD

Stinky socks

Real life hours playing The Long Dark  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Sorry about previous one, I butchered it. Low poll crafting skill☺️

Anyways, v2.0! How many hours have you spent in real life, traversing the great and desolate world of Great Bear?

Poll will not show your name in case you would like to keep your adventure time invisible, but if you'd like to, you can share in a post!

My time spent behind the keyboard and mouse is 137 hours. This is total time combined, wintermute and survival.

Please vote! Thank you!

@Stinky socks you made me smile...  137 hours!  

I hate to say it, but I averaged almost 200 hours a month during the covid-19 lock downs of 2020.  
Being laid off and otherwise characterized "nonessential" left me with a lot of free time...
thank god for video games and YouTube!  I ended up spending a disproportionate amount of my time playing a game dealing with isolation and no other human contact during an actual time of isolation and extremely limited human contact.  There's the definition of Irony for ya!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Sherlock Holmes 18 said:

No, I bought the game, but why would I go to my Internet for a non-online game😉

many of us bought via Steam, so whenever we play, we also log into steam which tracks player usage.  Steam also keeps your game titles updated whenever there is an official update released.  I'm able to play TLD offline as well and generally only do so when my local ISP is having trouble.

• Like 1

I'm using it through epic launcher and you need to start epic to be able to start TLD. After the game launched, epic can be closed. Now that I think about it, I am unsure whether or not epic tracks game usage when offline or closed.

When I launch the game, I usually turn off internet and sometimes epic launcher too, although it's impotent without internet. 

Could I maybe have 6,000 hours instead of 137 that epic logged while only being active? I do not know..

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Stinky socks said:

I'm using it through epic launcher and you need to start epic to be able to start TLD. After the game launched, epic can be closed. Now that I think about it, I am unsure whether or not epic tracks game usage when offline or closed.

When I launch the game, I usually turn off internet and sometimes epic launcher too, although it's impotent without internet. 

Could I maybe have 6,000 hours instead of 137 that epic logged while only being active? I do not know..

we could do some quick dirty math... when did you start playing the game and assuming you play daily, how many hours do you average per day?  
I personally was shocked when I checked my hours via steam!  I mean I know I play a lot, but damn... !

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Luca Loquax said:

4,946.7 hours.  I have no life.

I think that is officially the most hours I seen anyone report on this forum!  What is your secret that keeps you playing in the sandbox?
Up until now, I was under the impression that @peteloudwas leading the  pack with over 3500 hours played...
This post made me go check and according to steam I have officially clocked in 2770 hours.  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I can't find the exact date I bought TLD as a 'early access' user when it was new to STEAM.   What I do remember was at the time the whole game was the sandbox and it was just Mystery Lake.  The game would start you at a random point with the captions "A geomagnetic storm caused your plane to crash in the frozen Canadian wilderness.  How long can you survive?".  It was love at first sight.

All these years of development I have witnessed make me feel like it is kinda my game too and I have truck loads of respect for Raph and Devs. 

It has been said: "Receipts or it never happened".

Lo

TLD.steam.profile.png

• Upvote 3

When out in 'the world' and you pick something up, do you find yourself saying "I hope nobody needs this"?

Do you have a huge pile of sticks in the middle of your living room floor because you can't stop collecting them?

Does the sight of the sun getting low in the sky make you immediately seek the nearest shelter?

Do barking dogs in the distance make you reach for a flare?

Do you refuse to start a walk anywhere when it is past high-noon?

Well, I've been playing for so long I probably need some professional help... but I am REALLY good at TLD!  :)

Mmmm, prosac....

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, peteloud said:

Luca Loquax,

Kaldığım hemen hemen her yerde, odun, biraz yiyecek ve düzgün barınaklarda, mağaralarda vs. bir kar fırtınasında yakalanan bir yolcunun ihtiyaç duyabileceği her şeyin bir stoğunu bırakıyorum. Bunu yaptığımda, kendimi değil, soğuk aç bir gezgini düşünüyorum. Sanırım deliriyor olabilirim.

You leave supplies for someone else when you know there's no one else in the game? 

• Like 1

I have no idea at all how the 'hours played' are monitored. I have never had any reason to think about it.  I am connected to internet 24/7  but I do not have Steam running in the background when playing. Does that mean that I am playing in 'off-line' or 'on-line' mode?

I am tempted to go though my old pre-Steam saves, for which I have no record of the hours played, to try and get a more accurate figure for the pre-Steam hours played.   I could possible get a reasonable idea of the game days played, although I deleted many of my saves so it would be a significant under-estimate.

It doesn't bother me all that much.  I am an old retired guy, living alone.  I have lots of time and prefer TLD to housework, gardening or watching people playing with a ball on TV. (I don't have a TV.) 

Edited by peteloud
  • Like 1