New food with bear interaction

EternityTide

+1 for this nice idea! :)

I guess honey could either be found

a) in houses (e.g. a jar of honey at the kitchen table/in cabinets) or

b) in beehives (wooden boxes placed by apiarists) at the orchards in Pleasant valley. Bees and fruit trees just belong together. :)

As it's winter, the bees shouldn't trouble you while harvesting.

Option A is probably easier to implement than option B, so I'd be very happy about option A as well.

Agreed, Scyzara, your second option would be difficult to implement since you require a whole array of different tools to extract the honey from honeycomb, and then you have to separate out grubs and wax, then you have to refine it, etc etc.

It's a nice idea though.

I thought it would be in a jar, like peanut butter.

I didnt see many flowers around, even thought I like bees, between these conditions they must wear a coat.

I never saw a bee in a coat, probably because it is just too heavy to fly in it.

Consequence: no fly, no honeycomb

über this :D

Bees live in N Canada I know I've been stung by them :) They stay in their hives in the winter and the drones vibrate their wings to keep the hive and the queen warm. However they ARE pretty docile in the winter and it's pretty easy to take out a comb.

As for processing the honey all you really need to do is chew on the comb. The grubs are good protein, the honey is good energy and when tired of chewing it you can use the wax for a TON of things, Candles, waterproofing, repairs, fire starting, etc.

Bees live in N Canada I know I've been stung by them :) They stay in their hives in the winter and the drones vibrate their wings to keep the hive and the queen warm. However they ARE pretty docile in the winter and it's pretty easy to take out a comb.

As for processing the honey all you really need to do is chew on the comb. The grubs are good protein, the honey is good energy and when tired of chewing it you can use the wax for a TON of things, Candles, waterproofing, repairs, fire starting, etc.

You're mostly right, but drones (male bees) don't overwinter.. they get kicked out of the hive to starve or freeze-- it's a hard life! :) The worker bees form a cluster around the queen and shiver/vibrate to keep the temperature warm enough.

• 1 month later...

+1

Although I'm late to the party, I would still like to support this idea. A jar of honey to be found as a fairly rare item. You can just eat it away, but it would strongly attract bears over large distances. Thoughtlessly carrying it around in PV could get you into serious trouble. On the other hand, you could place it somewhere on the floor, enter a nearby hunting blind and just wait. Would be cool if it became foggy and the bear would steal it unseen... ;)

I especially like the idea of honey attracting bears since there is a similar mechanism already in the game with raw meat and wolves. An item attracting bears would be something new.

Maybe the item decription should include a little warning, eg: Sweet and delicious, but may attract dangerous animals which also like it.

I think it would be cool to find honey and be able to use it for more than just food. It would come in handy..

They could use these in game for it..

It's really hard to get the bears to stand still long enough to fill them with enough honey until they turn yellow (well, except for Winnie The Pooh, who is also Canadian)... and they especially get mad having to wear the pointy spout hat :D

Yes honey found in jars is good idea. Pieces of honeycomb could be used to bait leg hold trap for bear. But can a strong trap such as this be set by the average person? Without setting tools? I can see smaller leg hold traps being used by average person maybe requiring skill level and chance to set with skill increasing rapidly.

• 7 months later...

I hope your considering this idea already, I just wanna add my thoughts too.

Bee hives could be abandoned, since bees are really sensitive about environmental change they could have extinct when the geomagnetic storm happened. Man made bee hives would be nice to find near the farmhouse and maybe in some other places too, natural bee hives could be found hanging on trees or other places.

If you want the bees to be alive and honey to slowly respawn it would be nice too, but then you should get stung by the bees if you harvest the honeycombs.

You can harvest honey easily without special tools, in a warm environment you can simply crush the whole honeycombs and filter the honey out or you can even squeeze the honeycombs by hand and the honey will drip out, those techniques might not be super efficient or good for commercial use because you might get wax into the honey but bee-wax is edible too.

I'm pretty sure in ancient times they simply squeezed the honey out of the combs too.

Maybe if you freeze the honey you can simply brake the wax off of it too, but that's just a guess and I don't know if that's actually possible.

And reading through the thread again I see its been mentioned that you can simply chew the honeycombs and use the wax for waterproofing, great point!

Right, bees are very weak in the winter stealing their food would kill them, I like the idea of them being kinda extinct better anyway, that feels more apocalyptic.

I would still like to find abandoned bee hives to harvest, man made and natural, I'd be really interested in the wax.

For example being able to rub your clothes and boots with wax in front of a fire to make them more water proof would be nice, since clothes don't get wet a slight temperature increase would be cool.

Wax has all kind of useful properties especially when you're trying to survive.

+1

Love the idea of honey as a high energy food and as a possible medicine

-1 for using it to attract bears.

Bears and honey is a cute idea thanks to Winnie the Poo. In real life though bears eat anything. Raw meat (or better yet smelly rotting meat) would be more effective :)

I agree, honey and bees and hives is a nifty idea but not essential for this iteration. Perhaps Hinterland will add these features in the future season releases so it's still a good idea to put them forward. Bees could make an interesting new creature addition to the game with risks and rewards.

As far as bait for the bear, you have plenty of it! Your player!! Luring a bear is not difficult nor is locating one.

Bear is also attracted by raw meat so carrying it seems to attract them too.

Bears can be attracted by scents in real life. For example, the formic acid from an anthill will draw a bear in; the foam cover on a hot tub can release formic acid and has been known to attract bears.

Archived