Returning to the Crossroads...

ManicManiac

After spending more than a year on a Personal Challenge survival run... I decided I wanted to come back to Crossroads Elegy and catch up on Astrid's story.

(...um, spoilers I guess?... but I mean, this episode has been out since Oct, 2019...)

Rather than trying to pick up where I'd left off, I just decided go back to my save right before the end of Episode 2 (and start fresh so-to-speak).  This time however, I wanted to take the extra time to complete all the side objectives before going to investigate the Community Hall.  I figured that was probably the best time to go wandering (before completing chapter 1... when things start going sideways in Pleasant Valley :D).

After I got acquainted with Molly and her... issues, and weathering the first whiteout blizzard; I struck out to start exploring as much of Pleasant Valley as I could before heading to the Community Hall.

I found a prison guard dead on the the road near Heartbreak Bridge.  I started tracking down more clues about what Mathis, Hobbs, and some of the other inmates have been up to since the breakout.  The more I followed the trail, the more I suspect that Molly has been out "hunting" convicts.   Once I was finished following the trail of the inmates, I decided I wanted to stop by the Pleasant Valley Outbuildings (the Big Red Barn and the surrounding structures).  I found some info and supplies left cached there by the Forest Talkers environmental activist group.  I ended up spending the night near the fire barrel inside of the Old Red Barn, and the next morning I decided to head over to see what I could find in Thomson's Crossing.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Like 1

I made it over to Thomson's Crossing as quickly as I could (I'm beginning to realize how spoiled I'd gotten with all my warm clothes in my last Survival run :D).

I decided to get myself set up in the first house nearest the road.  I spent the next few days searching through The Church, the Rural Store, and all the vehicles & houses in Thomson's Crossing.  In the Rural Store I found a Forest Talker note (Joplin's Bunker Raid), a note from the locals (re. Forest Talkers) as well as an interesting book (Tall Tales: The Lost Cave).  In the church found the note from Father Thomas (re. Church Artifact).  This already opened up a lot of areas for me to check out and investigate.  After I'd gathered up everything else from Thomson's Crossing I decided to head into the Community Hall.  I searched through the front office and the bathroom without triggering the next chapter (I remembered this from my previously abandoned playthrough :D).  This yielded another note from the locals (re. Forest Talkers), and another interesting book (Tall Tales: Sasquatch).

I took several trips to get over to the Sasquatch Cave, Three Strikes Homestead, Draft Dodger's Cabin, Skeeter's Ridge, The Abandoned Prepper Cache, The Lost Cave, and the Derelict Cabin near Point of Disagreement.  I ended up having to find another route up to the upper shelf (since the foot path up to Skeeter's Ridge was missing the log bridge - from Survival Mode).

I still need to get to the second bunker for Joplin's Bunker Raid, and I have yet to visit Signal Hill... so I'll likely make some more trips to get those areas explored tomorrow.  I've been eating up a lot of my found food supply (to keep my well fed buff), which I know will likely make mean I will need to start focusing on hunting for food when I get to the rest of the main story.  However, I'm kind of looking forward to that.  I already have a respectable supply of ammo, so hunting shouldn't be too much trouble.  :)

It looks like I've got a good shot at wrapping up nearly all the side objectives before I continue on with chapter 2.

Early the next morning, I left behind most of the food I had (in order to free up more room in my pack) and went to go visit the second bunker.  After gathering up the food and supplies there, I went back to my main encampment to offload it.  From there I saw that it was a short trip to the third bunker, and I manged to get there and back before nightfall.

After visiting both bunkers, I'm now flush with food again and have significantly more ammo.  :D

The next day, I made the trek up to Signal Hill... but I found it was locked up tight (I suppose that means I'll have to wait until later in the episode to visit there).  On the way back I visit a few more of the areas nearby, just to check for more notes and whatever else I could find... though I didn't find much.  I also stopped over at Pensive Pond and spent two days there fishing.  I lost more fishing tackle than I would have liked, but I managed to catch a lot of fish (including the giant bass... but I opted to release it).  I did have to endure two blizzards, but I had enough coal with me to keep warm inside the fishing hut (as well as cooking up fish and preparing water as needed).

I was able to get one load of fish with me back to my main encampment.  Tomorrow, I'll make a few more trips to haul the rest of my catch back with me.  I have a (so far) very safe route between Pensive Pond and Thomson's Crossing, so I can carry them without having to worry too much about attracting wolves.  :D

At this point, I've completed all of the side-objectives that I can.  I still have to find one more note from the locals (re. Forest Talkers), but I suspect that's likely inside the locked building at Signal Hill.  Assuming that's the case, I suppose I will have to continue on with the main story now.

Edited by ManicManiac

Over the weekend I was able to finish Episode 3.
I was right... the last note for the Forest Talkers was indeed up at Signal Hill.

My habit for keeping well stocked encampments meant that when it came time to help Father Thomas prepare for the Coming Storm, I already had everything I need to fill their pantry.

I loved the search and rescue missions.

I found that if I avoided main roads and paths, that I was able to spot and avoid several Timber Wolf ambushes. :D  This came in handy a lot, as the my journey through Pleasant Valley continued.

Once the big storm hit.  I kept to the same plan (try to stay off the beaten path).  I figured it was going to a lot rougher to try and fend off Timber Wolves while trying to navigate through a whiteout blizzard.  The path I took, only resulted in two attacks (of course the one at Signal Hill was unavoidable).  I took coal and a hand full of sticks with me to so I could warm up along the route.  Here's the path I followed:

• Started from the Community Hall
  • Traveled behind the Rural Store and made my way to the Sasquatch Cave
  • Traveled to Pensive Pond (but I got off the road as soon as it crested the hill, I skirted past the Picnic Area to get there)
  • Traveled to Hilltop Cave (initially crossed the frozen river before having to cross the back-road again, where I was ambushed by 2 timber wolves - made quick work of them though and pushed ahead to Hilltop Cave)
  • Traveled to Signal Hill (though I kept my distance from the road until my path converged on it right before getting ambushed by a pack of 4-5 Timber Wolves)

For the trip back down, I managed to dodge all the Timber Wolf packs.  :)

• I made my way down the steep lope and stopped to warm up at the Second Joplin Bunker.
  • Crossed the Frozen River just a little further past the falls (I heard a pack milling around and slaughtering rabbits so I went a little farther down river before making my way across.
  • I kept to the deeper parts of the forest until I got all the way to the back-road on the other side of Contemplation Bridge (as I quickly crossed the road I spotted two packs... one prowling at the main road/back-road's junction and the other prowling at the food of the slope that would lead back up towards pensive pond).  I was able to thread that needle and make it back to Thomson's crossing without incident. :D

I really did love having to struggle though the harsh blizzard and find my way along such a hazardous path.  Needless to say, I'd never opt for such a perilous journey in a Survival Sandbox, but being put up against it in Story Mode was a pretty thrilling little challenge.

After I got back from Signal Hill... I spent an extra day just getting all of my supplies reorganized to get ready for the mine.  I hauled all my extra food, water, medicine, clothing and other supplies over to the Community Hall and got them even more stocked up.  I figured they could all use more stuff to stay warm and fed... and it was doubtful I would ever use it all.  I even had four extra bed rolls... so I donated all my stuff to the Father Thomas and left for the mine.

Since it had been working nicely for me so far, I kept off the road.  I took the route across the river at the base of the falls to get up to the Mining Road.  Once I felt the earth quake I knew another ambush was likely unavoidable.  Sure enough, as I got to the slope and started to make my way up, I was beset by a pack of four.  It took me one reload to break that pack's morale.  It was hard for me to get a bead on them (so far I'd managed to fend off all the Timber Wolf attacks with out getting nipped).  Fortunately I was able to get my reload in fast enough while they were scattered... though one did get uncomfortably close. :D

I found I'd over packed for my journey though the mine.  I had several MREs, boxes of crackers, energy bars, and packs of beef jerky (these having the best Calorie-to-Weight ratios).  I also brought with me nearly 2 liters of lantern fuel (in addition to my full lantern).  I also brought three flares (though I ended up with 11 - using up 3).  There was a surprising amount of stuff in that mine, and I love exploring it to figure out what I was supposed to do in order to get the elevator working.

All-in-all, this was a really great episode.  The story is getting better and better as each episode unfolds... and I can hardly wait to see what's coming in episode 4.

• Like 1

@Stinky socks

I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

With this adventure completed, I've been contemplating what to do next:

• I have yet to attempt As the Dead Sleep (it's the last challenge I need to collect a badge for).
  • I was also thinking about possibly inventing another Personal Challenge, and starting a fresh Stalker run.
  • I was also considering a slightly different version of The Hunted pt. 1 challenge.  ...I say different version only because I would be ignoring the final goal of racing to get to the Trapper's Cabin.  Rather than ending the challenge quickly, I'd be trying to see how long I can live on Great Bear Island while the Demon Bear is relentlessly hunting me.

I'm not sure which I'll settle on... but I look forward to each of them.  I have a feeling if I make another Personal Challenge, it's possible I might be at it for another year (so perhaps I'll save that for last :D).  I suppose I'll have to think on it some more.  Either way, as long as folks seem interested... I'll keep journaling my adventures on Great Bear Island. :)