how many ways to stop bleed out?

Balthasar250

@Serenity, In certain regions, yes. I made a base at mountaineers hut and there isn't a lot of cloth there. If you get hurt by spraining your ankle and get bitten by a wolf on the way there, well there go your two bandages. Next abundant spot for bandages is the summit and it is a long and treacherous way there. It is that or you go back to pleasant valley to stock up.

I would hate to harvest my own clothes if I was in a pickle bleeding out. I have very good clothes! It is actually part of the reason why I have animal boots, pants(outer), jacket(outer) and hat!

• Upvote 1

Yes, only bandages. Although I think i read somewhere that it can also stop after a while, I never dared to testing it. And better to have bandages with you all the time, as once you are bleeding, the 20 minutes it takes to crafting them could easily be too much...
TWM is tricky as it has very few cloth, so might make sense to "import" some to make sure you have enough for bandages and occasional clothing repairs.
Sprains you can "sleep out" though. 2 hours for wrist and 4 for ankles, so unless in a very tricky situation where a ropeclimb is absolutely necessary, you can save bandages on that one.

With the Blood Loss affliction, the survivor will continue to "bleed" and loose condition until it's either treated with a bandage, or until they bleed out and die (a.k.a. condition reaches zero).

(as far as I can tell... only Food Poisoning, Sprains/Pains, Burns, and Headaches are the only afflictions that will go away if left untreated.  All the rest will persist until treated)

:coffee::fire::coffee:
I've had more than a few experiences where I had "bleeding wounds" and either failed to notice the indicator, or just forgot to bandage up... always ended up dying in my sleep due to Blood Loss.  :D

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Balthasar250 said:

this is one of those rule of three sort of things, where there should be more than one way to do something at least.

I think there is a thing IRL called bleeding out, and it is a very serious thing.
The only solution to avoid loosing too much blood and dying from it is to somehow suppress the flow, usually tying something above the wound on the affected limb (e.g, a belt), or pressing it down with something else when on the torso/head. So I do not think requiring to use bandages for the same is that far away from reality.
More serious wounds even need to be sewn together, IRL, which could technically be possible in TLD as well, but probably too complicated / could cause ratings issues... (leave it for the horror dlc...)

Edited by AdamvR
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AdamvR said:

More serious wounds even need to be sewn together, IRL, which could technically be possible in TLD as well, but probably too complicated / could cause ratings issues... (leave it for the horror dlc...)

Man, that'd be kind of cool though. Maybe only with bears, but a special type of wound affliction that requires a sewing kit or fishing tackle to cure. Then a status called "stitches" and if you climb or fall you have a RNG chance of ripping your stitches and having new bleed out and need to re-stitch yourself! It's take a few days to go away....

Just a fun "what if" I by no means think Hinterland needs that, but it would make things challenging 

• Upvote 1

If I remember it correctly the older game version allowed to treat bleeding by Old Man Beard Lichen wound dressing only. But it has been loong time. Now it is needed to treat the bleeding by bandage. I keep 3 of them on me at all times. 

• Upvote 1

Agreed on multiple bandages. Sometimes you have 3 separate wolves independently patrolling in close proximity and once wolf#1 finished chewing you, wolf#2 begins to growl and initiates his approach, so it is very likely to either die because of this or get 2 or more afflictions requiring a bandage.

This is, in a way, trickier because when you scare off Timberwolves, the whole pack runs away, but these work independently and can attack consecutively one after another.

On 2/17/2021 at 11:23 AM, Balthasar250 said:

this is one of those rule of three sort of things, where there should be more than one way to do something at least.

Not really necessary.  Like others have said, just always be prepared, like carrying food, water and a sleeping roll.

Bandages are the only way. But since you can turn cloth into bandages everywhere, even tear your own clothes to make cloth and then bandages, I dont think its really neccesary to add more ways to treat it. Cauterizing is popularized by movies, and while it could be an effective way to stop bloodloss immediately, it actually often causes more problems then it solves. You would survive in the immidiate sense but then you would get horrible infection and die to that. It also quite literally kills the cells in contact, causing a lot of damage which is prone to infection and decay, both things that can significantly hinder survival afterwards. Cauterizing is nowadays used in medical sense only in specific surgeries from what I know, under highly sterile environment. 

On 2/19/2021 at 7:46 PM, acada said:

If I remember it correctly the older game version allowed to treat bleeding by Old Man Beard Lichen wound dressing only. But it has been loong time. Now it is needed to treat the bleeding by bandage. I keep 3 of them on me at all times. 

You are partially correct. It was Old man´s beard binding, but back then, it required 3 linchens and 1 bandage. So, in effect, it was a bandage and the binding we have today but combined into one item. 

• Like 1

Old mans beard wound dressings weigh about the same as before but lack any bandage capability and that happened quite a while ago. 

The issue that arose was burn injuries could only be treated by using a bandage and wound dressings were deemed not applicable. Since wound dressings (at the time crafted with a bandage) were commonly the only "bandage" that most would carry in lieu of antiseptic and bandages as predator attacks were much more common than burns, this put players in a scramble for bandages when they burned themselves.  Until it happened, there was nothing to indicate that old man's beard wound dressings could not be used as plain bandages (an oversight in the game that was "remedied" by making wound dressing not need a bandage and could not function as one).