Rabbits easier to hit with rock than bow?

TheKnightIsDark

Your bow skill is built like fire building, cooking, mending, etc. It can take a long time depending on how many shots you take, how many new arrows and bows you craft, and how many of the manuals you read. And the random number generator can always step in and pop your balloon. I never use arrows on rabbits, always rocks or snares.  Every time you use an arrow, it takes damage.

I would say hitting rabbits with a rock is easier than the bow but I get so dang frustrated going to pick the stunned rabbit up. I miss about 60% of the time and it runs away. If I wasn't so flustered I would do better LOL . I find hitting the rabbit with the bow not so bad but only if I can align myself with the rabbit as it coming straight toward me. I sometimes use bow hunting rabbits as a way to build up my archery skill. I'm always trying in Interloper to get to level 5 as quickly as possible. So when arrows get on low condition it's not so bad in fact I like to have a couple arrows with low arrow condition for wolves. I like to hit hit wolves and the arrow breaking so they don't run off with the arrow. 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, stirfoo said:

Also, there is a target set up in Pleasant Valley near the big barn in the middle of the map. If you clear the wolves and bear out there, you can practice all day. Depending on the level, you may find an arrow or two already stuck in the target.

And there is no damage to the arrows? It could be cool if the game gave you one full level for practicing on the board with 50-100 shots

Arrows seem like such a waste for a bunny. There are plenty of them in the game, but they do lose condition. And what you get out of a bunny doesn't seem worth it

And there is no damage to the arrows? 

There is. But on low difficulties you get a free bow and a few arrows. So you can shoot them and then reload and start back at the barn door

On 2/15/2021 at 5:11 AM, Serenity said:

Arrows seem like such a waste for a bunny. There are plenty of them in the game, but they do lose condition. And what you get out of a bunny doesn't seem worth it

Yes, but if you harvest them before they break, you get all the materials except the shaft back.  1 bunny = 1 wildlife hit. This is my past-time when I'm lvl 3 or higher. I shoot every damn bunny I see. Much easier than breaking down carcasses and hauling meat back all day.

On 2/14/2021 at 12:31 PM, stirfoo said:

Your bow skill is built like fire building, cooking, mending, etc. It can take a long time depending on how many shots you take, how many new arrows and bows you craft, and how many of the manuals you read. And the random number generator can always step in and pop your balloon. I never use arrows on rabbits, always rocks or snares.  Every time you use an arrow, it takes damage.

I recommend crafting as many arrows as you can before you even use the bow. I generally carry 12-15 on me if staying in the same region. Every arrow you make is points to your archery skill. 
The RNG doesn't really kick in unless an arrow is, or lands in, under 20% condition.

My advice, never try to hit a rabbit with an arrow unless it's traveling from left to right. It's harder to get the timing when you can't see the target.

Edited by wilsonaka
clarification

I just don't see the need for grinding any of the skills. Especially at higher levels where it takes longer. Crouching while shooting is nice, but hardly needed. Archery level 3 is enough to reliably kill wolves and eventually I shoot so many wolves that I'll get higher.

Edited by Serenity

4 hours ago, Serenity said:

I just don't see the need for grinding any of the skills. Especially at higher levels where it takes longer. Crouching while shooting is nice, but hardly needed. Archery level 3 is enough to reliably kill wolves and eventually I shoot so many wolves that I'll get higher.

I've been grinding archery only for the achievement where you need all skills level 5

I have also noticed that if I am standing still very close to the deer, it notices my presence way sooner than if I was and crouched and still 

11 hours ago, Ahatch said:

You can hunt wolves as well better from a rockface or tree. 

For wolves that's really not necessary. At that level just about any hit when they are charging will kill them. Plus there is absolutely no need to stalk wolves.

It's most useful for deer hunting. There I actually enjoy long range shots. Much more satisfying when they hit

On 2/16/2021 at 11:28 PM, hozz1235 said:

I don't think I've ever hunted rabbit with the bow.  Guess I'm worried about preserving those precious arrows.

Technically, arrows are "renewable". So is the bow. You can rarely find the saplings as a part of beachcombing spawn. So is metal, i believe. And since fire can be built outside with the mag glass, hammer can be repaired with tools and iron, tools themselves can be repaired with iron, and iron spawns in beachcoming too (I think, I dont do a lot of beachcoming) they are technically infinite. Course one needs to constantly run the run to grab the stuff from the water to keep it up. Not sure if rifle rounds can still be found in beachcombing... used to be but very rarely... 

--------

Back on topic - yea, hunting rabbits with arrows is a waste of arrows. Even for the skill. If you wanna skill up bow, crafting arrows is one way to go about it, if one doesnt have the neccesary amount of books to read to get up to level 5. If you wanna practise with it - I would say Story mode is probably the best way to go about it, as you can reload into a previous save. Either way, shooting at rabbits is a waste. Since they are so small, chances are you will miss them even as a skilled bowman. Throwing a stone is better for two reasons. First of all, stones are everywhere and are readily available. Second of all, when stone hits the ground, it bounces off and keeps going. This makes sound and scares the rabbits, but the stone carries so fast that is rarely the issue. Even a bounced off stone can still hit the rabbit and stun it. So even if you miss and hit the ground with a stone right before the rabbit, it will still stun it after the bounce. This is not the case with arrows, you need to be right-on-point. 

On 2/14/2021 at 11:58 PM, Sherlock Holmes 18 said:

Could rabbits be shot with arrows? 

I just found out something else. Since arrows are such a big thing for such a small animal, I thought it couldn't be shot, that the meat would be shattered. 

Please don't tell me you were shot with a rifle. 

Sure, you may shoot them with arrows, rifle even with a distress pistol...

I think rabbits are actually really good way to upgrade one's bow and arrow skills. Sneak behind them and shoot. But after Lvl 5 is reached with bow, I usually use only stones to kill them. Arrow shafts are too valuable to be vasted in that way.

EDIT; After posting, I read Mroz4k answer, and must say,  He is right, arrows are too valuable for bunnies. But there is a good, yet old YouTube video, of bow and arrow hunting.

Edited by Niskavuori
Read a better answer

3 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

I don't have very good luck with this so choose not to do it.  Sure, I could run out of arrows by not beach-combing, but choose to preserve them so I don't have to.

Same. Ever since the decoy trick stopped working, I dont really use arrows needlessly anymore. Since killing wolves now poses a higher risk, I usually use stones to distract wolves and predators in general to sneak past them. I mostly only use arrows for the actual hunting, and for self-defense against the wolves that I cannot pass or that have noticed me. I have very few bow shots by the time Im already at lvl 3 just from reading books and crafting arrows. Hunting animals is (ironically) not the best way to go about leveling the skill. And, if its gonna be used that way, its best to use it on proper hunting.

In a way, I would suggest hunting moose with the arrows for skill. If you are smart about it and have campfire close to run to since moose are scared of it, using a bow is a good way to hunt a moose since they dont bleed out. Therefore you are quaranteed to get several shots in before it flops over dead - and its much bigger target, and much better reward for taking it down then using the arrows on bunnies.

That said, to each their own. I know some people hunt the rabbits to get their skill up, I dont particularly see a problem with that. It is just pretty difficult to hit them with an arrow from afar, and going too close makes them run away. 

I suppose there is also a pretty good way to level up bow hunting on deer. And you can use stones here to aid you as well. I hunt deer by using stones and bow in the following fashion: Step one is to throw a rock somewhere behind the deer, and instantly switch to a bow using the radial menu. Then I instantly start drawing the bow if the stone happens to work the way I intended, and the deer is scared by the rock sound to run towards me. By the time bow is drawn, the deer should be somewhere right before me. Bow is best used at very short distances. That is the way people usually hunt with a bow in real life, too. 

On 2/18/2021 at 12:55 PM, Mroz4k said:

Same. Ever since the decoy trick stopped working, I dont really use arrows needlessly anymore. Since killing wolves now poses a higher risk, I usually use stones to distract wolves and predators in general to sneak past them. I mostly only use arrows for the actual hunting, and for self-defense against the wolves that I cannot pass or that have noticed me. I have very few bow shots by the time Im already at lvl 3 just from reading books and crafting arrows. Hunting animals is (ironically) not the best way to go about leveling the skill. And, if its gonna be used that way, its best to use it on proper hunting.

In a way, I would suggest hunting moose with the arrows for skill. If you are smart about it and have campfire close to run to since moose are scared of it, using a bow is a good way to hunt a moose since they dont bleed out. Therefore you are quaranteed to get several shots in before it flops over dead - and its much bigger target, and much better reward for taking it down then using the arrows on bunnies.

That said, to each their own. I know some people hunt the rabbits to get their skill up, I dont particularly see a problem with that. It is just pretty difficult to hit them with an arrow from afar, and going too close makes them run away. 

I suppose there is also a pretty good way to level up bow hunting on deer. And you can use stones here to aid you as well. I hunt deer by using stones and bow in the following fashion: Step one is to throw a rock somewhere behind the deer, and instantly switch to a bow using the radial menu. Then I instantly start drawing the bow if the stone happens to work the way I intended, and the deer is scared by the rock sound to run towards me. By the time bow is drawn, the deer should be somewhere right before me. Bow is best used at very short distances. That is the way people usually hunt with a bow in real life, too. 

I've had very good luck (and do this with all my runs) levelling it by simply making arrows.  Not gonna max it this way, but I think you can get pretty close.

47 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

You can't sneak with the bow until that coveted lvl5.

Oh, sorry!
I'm not a native English speaker, so...
In Finnish word "Hiipiä" means both 1) sneaking crouched and 2)walking carefully without making noise. My bad! I meant the latter one. Going behind a bunny and aproaching from there.
And to be precise, one still can sneak with the bow but can not shoot an arrow from crouched position.