Tips for Stalker Newbies

Catlover

I've recently gotten somewhat bored of Voyager. My longest survival time is only 20 days, though I keep getting fed up of how quickly it gets easy and hoped that a harder difficulty would glue me to a save file for longer than a week. Although I enjoy just throwing myself into the deep end, I wonderedif some veterans and other TLD players might have a bit of helpful information about how to last longer in it. I know next to nothing about this game-mode, aside for the abundance of wolves, so even a simple tip would help me out a great deal. 

Thank you all in advance!

I don't play on voyager, only on stalker, so I don't know the big differences between the two, but I will explain what I know here.

Cabin Fever, is a thing, don't stay inside 24/7, try to go outside often.

Intestinal Parasites', Eating wolf or bear meat will give you an afflictions called "Risk of Intestinal Parasites", the % of that bar that is filled is the % chance of getting intestinal parasites from wolf or bear meat. Not eating wolf or bear meat for about 24-48hr (idk the exact time) will get rid of the risk (making is 0% for your next meat)

The Wolves, wolf AI is much less forgiving, wolves can now hear you moving, and will walk over to investigate the sound, even though they don't actually see you. And if they're close enough, they can even hear you while crouch walking before they see you. This action of hearing but not seeing you is similar to a wolf investigating a stone that has been thrown. The wolves also can see/hear/smell you from a mile a way making it hard to avoid them in confined areas.

Food, There is less food in the world, and Will/Astrid will need a lot more calories to stay above starving. If you do try to go for Well Fed, it is almost impossible to maintain it with only food you find, you will need to hunt most of it.

Loot availably, Loot is not nearly as common, but the loot you do find is sufficient to meet your needs (ie basic tools, some starting food, cloth ) But you will have the most difficulty finding the important tools, such as the hatchet and knife, and you may need to forge your own. 

Guns, they are about the same as voyager, ammo for the rifle is somewhat hard to come by, and revolver ammo is plentiful, I was able to find 50 revolver bullets in just 2 zones. 

Clothing, it is hard to find good clothing early on, stuff like the good coats, snow pants, or mukluks will be very rare to find. I recommend you look into getting animal fur clothing when you are able to hunt.

Weather/temperature, blizzards and cold temperatures are much more likely in stalker, although it is quite manageable early game. late game stalker weather becomes much less bearable without good clothing, so if you do stay interested 'till late game, make sure you have fur clothing.

Going to Interloper, if you plan on going to interloper, I myself don't play it, but found that the few times I did, I had a strong reliance on guns. The bow takes a while to get, so the only way to avoid wolf attacks early on (without shelter) is a campfire, which isn't always possible with the weather. If you do want to go up, try to avoid using guns in stalker as much as possible, and make a bow and get good with it.

Good luck on your stalker adventures!

-SpanishMoss

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Pretty good tips above.

One major thing that will be different from voyager is that fires don't warm you up as soon as it is lit. You need to overcome the current air temperature.

For example if your feels like temp is -10°C you will need 10x sticks (which add 1°C each) to get your temps above freezing.

So my advice is to carry more fuel than you are used to.

Personally I always carry 1xcedar, at least 5x sticks and 2x coal for emergency. (Coal adds +20°C each)

Oh and you cannot sleep when fully rested. I'm not sure if that is the case on voyager but iirc you can sleep even when fully rested on pilgrim mode.

Not the case on Stalker. 

Hope these tips help and let us know how you get on.

• Like 1

Thank you @sierra 117 and @SpanishMoss for the help!

I am on Day 6 of my first stalker attempt and things have been..difficult, to say the least. I started in ML, since I know that region best.

I started on an aurora night on the lake and narrowly avoided an aurora wolf to get to a cabin. Thankfully it wasn't lurking by daylight.

I've also been trapped in one of those rail-buses with three wolves outside and waiting. Then I went on a frantic search for old mans beard after I got attacked. 

It's far more enjoyable than Voyager, and I hope to stick with this difficulty for some time. I'm aiming for ten days, though currently I'm leaving my base, the forestry lookout, for food as night is coming and I have nothing. Wish me luck, haha

On 2/13/2021 at 3:48 PM, Catlover said:

Thank you @sierra 117 and @SpanishMoss for the help!

I am on Day 6 of my first stalker attempt and things have been..difficult, to say the least. I started in ML, since I know that region best.

I started on an aurora night on the lake and narrowly avoided an aurora wolf to get to a cabin. Thankfully it wasn't lurking by daylight.

I've also been trapped in one of those rail-buses with three wolves outside and waiting. Then I went on a frantic search for old mans beard after I got attacked. 

It's far more enjoyable than Voyager, and I hope to stick with this difficulty for some time. I'm aiming for ten days, though currently I'm leaving my base, the forestry lookout, for food as night is coming and I have nothing. Wish me luck, haha

I to just made the jump from Voyager to Stalker and I am at day 128 I think. A few things I have learned along the way.

1 The weather changes quickly. Really think before leaving your base, you may not make it back that day.

2 Things can go from great to I am screwed real quick. Always have a flare or two on hand. They will save your life.

3 Try to get your fire starting and cooking skills up as quickly as possible. At 5 cooking you can eat any cooked meat without risk of parasites. You can also eat any condition (even zero condition) packaged food or soda with no consequences. 

4 Try to leave stashes as you leave an area, they may be needed later on if/ when you return. 

5 If you have less than half stamina try to avoid a wolf struggle. (see flare tip above)No shame in running away and taking them out tomorrow when you are rested.

6 The ravine between Mistery lake and Coastal highway is a godsend, always a great place to relax and harvest a deer or two. Some rabbits as well. There is enough there to be able to craft rabbit gloves and hat (I THINK) as well deerskin boots or pants.

7 You can never have to many matches!

8 Pleasant Valley is not so pleasant.

Hope this helps in some way.

Edited by metlman72
  • Like 1