(not)Funny stories..

Stinky socks

I didn't see a thread with them, so I am starting one.

Here's mine. >> I am in coastal highway on one of the islands and decided to finally visit abandoned lookout. Fast forward, I passed a few hits right behind "me" on the map as I spotted a bear heading straight for me! I turned around and that sprint function never felt so dear to my Astrid life; I ran towards the huts I just passed like mad!

Excited from all this adrenaline rush, I decided to turn around and go back and see the bear again. Slowly making my way up the passage, I see nothing and then realize he is heading straight for me, but his silhouette blended with black rocks behind him. This time I heard a growl! Wragh!! I turned around again and sprinted towards the huts and locked myself in. What a rush!😬😂

I think my trip is over for now. Blizzard is whistling outside and the evening is slowly heading towards the long dark.

Tomorrow(in-game) I continue my climb. Here is the map of the scene:

20210210_190852.thumb.jpg.556d9ebac727ca7d9743e50fcfc33d40.jpg

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes 18 said:

I wonder what conditional learning would do in the game.

I imagine that it would evolve wolves and bears into four legged terminators... (that is to say, they'd likely start getting sneaky and preternaturally efficient at killing our survivors).

:coffee::fire::coffee:
After all at the moment, nothing really "exists" to them outside their "detection radius."  (that's probably for the best :D)

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Like 1

What would be scary if animals became self aware and knew how to trick us next time they see us do the same thing.

Speaking of... [funny story coming up]  last time I dropped bait, wolf lost scent of me and went onto his business as usual, leaving me and meat alone. This time however, I dropped meat and slowly backed away. He walked to the bait and bait disappeared!! He ate it I think!! Sacrificial offering for my life(or the revolver bullet)😏

Before ending the day today, I decided to head to one spot i know where deer, bear and wolves patrol to see maybe I shoot some targets and get some skill up. Turned out I cleared the whole area with 2 rifle bullets and 2 arrows! Some were fairly long distance. Here's how it went:

Wolf killed deer, I killed that wolf(1 bullet) while he was digesting deer. Then i shot a bear(1 bullet) He died few game hours later. Then I killed a deer(1 arrow). Then I shot another wolf(1 arrow), but wounded. He died later. I found him later.

Never had such success before! That area after I left is desolate place now. Only corpses and crow.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a story that I hope you won't mind me sharing.

So, to set the scene, I am on a week-10 day survival (Voyager, because I was trying to learn the maps without getting wolf-mauled) and I had been cosily residing in the Hunters Lodge in BR (Or whatever that cabin's called) I had managed to break down everything so it was a neat and tidy, albeit empty, little base. The wolves had long since been vanquished and I was living comfortable. Too comfortably. 

I began to grow bored of the simple rabbit-hunting and just aimless wandering and decided to pay a visit to Spence's Family Homestead. The wind was picking up and it was beginning to snow lightly, though my spoiled survivor didn't take note of the warning signs, hoping to reach FM before nightfall. It was around late afternoon when I set off. 

The journey towards the tunnel was pretty quick, though my condition had dropped to between 50-75%. The snow was picking up but still, I stupidly pushed onward. 

I reached the land across the ice where the homestead is, and got confronted by a wolf. After a struggle that left me with around 30% health, I shot it dead with a revolver as it was fleeing. Thinking that there was only one wolf, I began going again when I got jumpscared by a second with the homestead taunting me. By now it was only a bit away from being a whiteout and I was annoyed by the seemingly wolf-infested location. (I had narrowly avoided another few before these). I fought it off and was now in the red. One problem, I had no bandages or antiseptic, having used the last on the former wolf. I died just as the wolf was coming back around for round 2. 

Ironic how I went on Voyager to avoid wolves, though still ended up dying to them.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Day 222 voyageur run. Working on the Faithful Cartographer achievement  (about 95% done at this time) and the live 500 days in survival mode achievement.
After a day of surveying and hunting in Bleak Inlet I headed back to my cave in a blizzard. On the way I fell through the ice... twice. I made it back to the cave, dropped all my clothes beside the fire and warmed up as my clothes dried. All my clothes were dried except my mitts and I put all my clothes on except the mitts which I left to dry. I cooked some food and water, sewed some torn clothing and saw that my mitts were dry so I picked them up. I finished what I was doing and went to sleep in my bedroll. I woke up in the morning refreshed and ready to go only to discover that I had picked up my mitts but had forgot to put them on. I had frostbite on my hand and a permanent 15% reduction in health. (insert swearing here). Such a stupid mistake.

Ah well, I'm now on about day 270 and got my FC achievement, made a ton of ammo and am working on living 500 days. Having the 15% reduction of health hurts but I think that I will make this, just have to be careful.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Stinky sockskind of like your adrenaline rush, stalker run, walking out the back of Quonset Garage after just getting into CH and settling in, face to face with a moose. Well about 10 meters away. Never seen him in any run before. Pulled my rifle quick and got a head shot in just as his head was coming up to charge. Lucky find! I was set for food already!

Walked up to build a fire and start cutting him up when I hear a growl... that same stupid bear had wandered down the road already and was looking right at me. He got up on his back legs and while growling at me I popped a shot off and got him enough to send him running. 

Stunned from the shock of the last 30 seconds I paused. Regained my senses and followed the blood trail. Found the big guy by the trailer.

Was probably the most intense and scary moment I have had to date playing.

• Upvote 1

Early on when I first started The Long Dark, I got lost in a blizzard heading from Camp Office to Trapper’s Cabin.

I had a vague memory of where to go and watched my health plummet due to exposure.

I sprinted all over the place, looking for what I thought was the cabin, to find nothing but the freezing cold ... health, stamina and food all on red. I injected myself with a stim and ran some more, I spotted a structure and was sure I was saved 🙏🏽

Pleased with myself I walked over to to realise it was a shed of some sorts with a deer carcass, not the cabin 😱 I had no idea where I was.

Luckily a bit more headless 🐔 chicken sprinting and I stumbled into Trapper’s with 10% health left‼️

Now, whenever I stand at the cabin’s ledge and look across to the barn, it makes me smile to remember the terror of that night and how close I had been! 😁

Edited by IamSameer
  • Upvote 1

I've been stalking a bear in HRV and after long time, decided to shoot him with revolver. Yeah, genius🙄 anyways, he ran past, but then decided to charge! I hid around the corner and figured I'll jump down if he gets close.

Well, it's been few hours by now probably. Around this corner is a bear that's growling and behind me is a cliff I will fall off if need be.😉

Screenshot_20210327-204827_Gallery.thumb.jpg.7d9310bb9e5219bd3989783dd517ee1f.jpg

Not sure what to dooo. When will he die?!!😫

Lol. So the bear finally died, but turns out I am stuck on the hill. No wonder he couldn't grab me!! Had to goat down. Sprained and then had to use bandages to heal up to go up rope on other side of the river😫😫😫 it's in the middle of the map roughly, you'll notice there's rope climb from river valley in the middle. 

Garr. There's so much meat and nice bear skin rotting away while I need to do my stupid detour!!

Edit: I found a way faster. Not optimal as I really got hurt gloating down. Anyways, I fell back into the river valley...because I saw that downed tree all the way on the right of the photo, that looked like I could get back up. Almost got eaten by a wolf in the process too!

Wish i saw that tree before i had to climb a rope and goat back down🙄🙄

2.thumb.jpg.1fd79d333adfc692d545f50dc7cc1b01.jpg

Edited by Stinky socks

@IamSameerthose moments kill me. When you’re so close but just can’t find the right way. I got stuck just north of there looking for the little cabin. Somehow circled around so many times I ended up back at the hunters blind I can’t say how many times. Mystery Lake seems to always do that to me. So many areas of little hills and tree spots.

I always do the same thing going from trappers to the office. I aim a little more left every time but somehow always end up at the tunnel to FM lol

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2