Lanterns, keep and repair or harvest

What is the point of fixing them, then harvesting them? Wouldnt that techically be a waste of metal?

Personally, I usually just keep them in the place where I find them. I also end up keeping one lantern in all the connective caves - in case I wanna use it instead of torches which I usually use to cross caves. With the rest - sometimes I bring them to my homebase - to have about 4-5 of them in a base, I fix them up, but dont refuel them unless I plan to take them with me for some reason. 

I would reccomend keeping more then one. If you at some point  get mauled by a bear, your only lantern may be broken as a part of that attack. Or some glitch may misplace it. Better to have backups in case. 

Also, you can turn them on, place them to create a stationary light source for a while. If I ever feel overcomed by the darkness and just want to feel like I am back in the "civilized, electrical age" I turn the lanterns on and spread them around to provide light indoors despite there being no electricity. It gives you a very powerful feeling and boost to morale if you are deeply immersed into the game and its solitude.

But, who am I to say... I encourage you to try it out for yourself. Maybe post a picture too here if you do - would be very interested to see a lit-up room of your primary base if you have one :) 

• Like 1

I leave one in every satellite base fully fueled. Reason being fully fueled is I can always get more fuel by catching fish.

That way, if I plan to take a long trip, I don't need to carry it from my homebase, but can travel light, make final stop to resupply before finally departing region.

Often I forget what I left where though😜and I dont want to write it down in my journal.