Night time snow particle changes

Satouthedeusmusco

@ManicManiac

Thanks for the effort. I really appreciate it.

My opinion remains unchanged however. As of the way it is implemented in the game right now the snow just seems to glow much too bright for it to be realistic. That combined with accibility problems and the snow just looking ugly to me still has me believe that the way the snow is implemented right now needs a change.

16 minutes ago, Old Hermit said:

Manic, if i may, i think u should not analyze the particles from screenshot, since there are other factores that can influence output

This was part of my point.  OP had asserted that the snow do not take the day/night lighting effects into account... the fact that the luminosity of the flakes also changes between the day screenshot and the night screenshot; it's reasonable to surmise that they are not just separate elements that are overlaid onto the game world and don't interact with environment.

If the flakes ignored the rest of the game world... then they would still be the same regardless of the time of day.  Here we see this is not the case.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac

10 minutes ago, Satouthedeusmusco said:

My opinion remains unchanged however

And I completely respect your opinion.  :)

I wasn't out to change your mind, I was only trying to convey my thoughts and my observations as well.
I appreciate you taking the time to discuss it with me.

Edited by ManicManiac

Yes, i'd dare to say that the snow flakes takes the day/night ligting into account, BUT yet keeps a high level of self-illumination for texture, and that's why it glows in any environment state. And it perhaps is causing discomfort on OP and other players.

I personally think it could be adjusted properly, but for artistic purposes, as well as some other particles and textures on the game, but is just MY opinion as concept artist.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Old Hermit said:

I personally think it could be adjusted properly, but for artistic purposes, as well as some other particles and textures on the game, but is just MY opinion as concept artist.

And I respect your opinion too...  However, I tend to think that it is the way it is because of artistic purposes, game design, and intended function.  If it wasn't what Hinterland intended, then I would bet they already would have changed it.

Also, I'd posit that: "properly" is a rather subjective term... so what one person might consider the "proper" way, my not seem so to other folks.

As I mentioned before:
I can respect that you feel that the snow is too bright during the night; but I don't agree with those assertions.

I think that night time snowfall is fine as it is.  I think that the snow particles at night achieve the intended effect, so I'd say there is no need to change it.

Edited by ManicManiac

7 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

If it wasn't what Hinterland intended, then I would bet they already would have changed it.

Are you sure about that? Not everything that ends up in a game or any piece of media is fully thought out and intentionally. It could very well be that the developers never thought about this too deeply, or never heard or anyone experiencing this problem before.

13 minutes ago, Satouthedeusmusco said:

Are you sure about that?

I wasn't trying to speak for them, I used phrasing that I think made it clear I was being speculative... (that's why I said "I'd bet").

As I said before:  it's Hinterland's game, and if they see fit to change things... then fine.  It's there's to make how they want to.  All I was trying to get at was, if they felt that it wasn't how they intended it... then they'd likely change it.  :)

I think it's fair to say that Hinterland likely thinks deeply about their game design.
I think that the word "problem" in this context it very subjective.  What one person considers a problem, may not seems so to others.

I for example have no issue with the snow fall at night.  I don't think it's a problem, and I don't think it needs to be changed.

We don't agree, and that's okay.  :)

Edited by ManicManiac

Hinterland did think very deeply around the design. That’s why there is the option to customize weather to make it easier which is exactly what the OP needs to do. 
  The issue is the OP doesn’t know the map well enough to travel at night during snow because he says he gets too disoriented. The solution is not to make it easier to see at night in snow but to make the game match his level of play by making more clear weather.   Think about it- an inexperienced person is going into the wilderness at night during snow and complains about becoming disoriented. yep- I’d say the developers succeeded perfectly!! Only an extremely experienced person would ever even attempt that and even then the fact they are experienced means they wouldn’t do it unless absolutely necessary. 
Just play the game with weather settings to fit a novice play level. There,  Problem solved. 

Edited by Schrodingers Box

Personally I don't think it matters to me either way so if someone can enjoy the game more by lowering the brightness of the LED lights that fall then make it an accessability option, or have a mod available for them to change it so they don't get a headache trying to play the game. Seems simple to have it both ways. I would probably try both and pick whichever looked better to me so I guess I do want this option available.

2 minutes ago, Schrodingers Box said:

Hinterland did think very deeply around the design. That’s why there is the option to customize weather to make it easier which is exactly what the OP needs to do. 
  The issue is the OP doesn’t know the map well enough to travel at night during snow because he says he gets too disoriented. The solution is not to make it easier to see at night in snow but to make the game match his level of play by making more clear weather. 
 Problem solved. 

To me the problem is the headaches not being disoriented. I certainly wouldn't want to play something that made me feel physically bad. I am just lucky that I don't have that issue.

@odizzido

That user has been consistently rude and seems to have it out for me.

I have over 200 hours in this game and know how to navigate in every part of the map. I can even navigate the cabin in mystery lake, both building broken railroad and many other indoors locations in complete darkness using only contextual cues from window lights.

My problem with snowfall at night is exactly that it's disorienting for the wrong reasons, as well as being uncomfortable to look at.

200 hours?? that’s exactly what I said- you don’t know the maps well enough yet to travel at night in snow. 
  complaining that night and snow are disorienting is like complaining interloper is too hard because it’s too cold and there is no food. 
   Please- adjust the game to easier weather until you get good enough to play harder scenarios. We all had to to do it. 

1 hour ago, MarrowStone said:

They want the snow particles to still exist but be darker  at night, only lighting up when theres a lantern affecting them. 

That sounds cool. If nights were darker and the lantern more useful I think that would look really cool. Right now I don't think there is a case where I would use the lantern and also be out in the snow.

18 hours ago, Schrodingers Box said:

The issue is the OP doesn’t know the map well enough to travel at night during snow because he says he gets too disoriented. The solution is not to make it easier to see at night in snow but to make the game match his level of play by making more clear weather.   Think about it- an inexperienced person is going into the wilderness at night during snow and complains about becoming disoriented. yep- I’d say the developers succeeded perfectly!! Only an extremely experienced person would ever even attempt that and even then the fact they are experienced means they wouldn’t do it unless absolutely necessary. 
Just play the game with weather settings to fit a novice play level. There,  Problem solved. 

That's a ridiculous stance.  It's like saying they should eliminate the Brightness adjustment and put it into the Custom menu instead.  Some things are about personal comfort... not about being a "novice" or "expert" player.  This issue is merely about lack of a contrast adjustment... which many games have in addition to a brightness adjustment, but TLD does not.  If they would allow players to adjust brightness and contrast separately, then everyone could have the "snowflakes" illuminated within their visual comfort zone regardless of their personal visual sensitivities.  What is so darn objectionable about allowing people to play a game comfortably?

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Upvote 2
  • Like 2

On 2/8/2021 at 12:53 PM, Satouthedeusmusco said:

@Schrodingers Box

I have. Snow doesn't glow during the night.

Did you see the image I posted with my OP. There are no lightsources there yet the snow still glows. That is not how actual snow works.

Sure if you had a torch or latern out THEN the snow should be visibly white again. But without a lightsource snow doesn't appear white.

I'm not saying they should up the visibility at night. The falling snow should still block your vision. It just shouldn't literally glow an uncomfortably bright white.

I have no issue with the point, I don't know why so many people are calling you out for it. You are simply correct; on a dark night, snowflakes aren't bright white. Though, it does not bother me personally, and I do not think it needs to be changed, but maybe it is worth addressing.

Edited by Megaloceros
  • Like 1

@Megaloceros

Many people on forums get incredibly defensive for the game in question. And sure, it's ok to defend something you like, but even the things we like have flaws. The developers at Hinterland sometimes make mistakes. They're humans too. They might not have thought of something, or they might simply want our input. Hell, this entire Wishlist subforum wouldn't exist if they didn't believe our input to the valuable.

Basically people on forums need to chill. Snowflakes being realistically black at night won't ruin the game for anyone, but will drastically improve it for the visually impaired or for those who like playing on endless night mode.

• Like 1