Recommended Posts

Time to share IDEAS, hello there forums, A bear here, just got here, Im new to this. I'll start by sayin that I'm hella bored and I've some ideas that I want to write. Feel free to discuss and provide Your ideas here. I've been playin The Long Dark for few a months now and BY NO MEANS AM I A GOD at it. But, lately, I've thought about an idea that sn't in the game, Bone Needles, much as the name says, It be a needle made from bone!

 

DISCUSS

Link to post
Share on other sites

It may be practical in some sense. There is no need for such an addition to the game since you can already craft a fishing hook from scrap metal and line from cured guts to make fishing tackle, which serves as a makeshift sewing kit.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd make it larger - a bone sewing awl and use it as an alternative tool to the knife or hatchet when making the coats and bear bedroll that currently can't be crafted with either the sewing kits or the fishing tackle.

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I'd make it larger - a bone sewing awl and use it as an alternative tool to the knife or hatchet when making the coats and bear bedroll that currently can't be crafted with either the sewing kits or the fishing tackle.

In fact, the tools for leatherworking are a little different from those used for sewing cloth. Maybe it would be interesting if the leather coats would NEED a specialized tool to be crafted (bone needle, leather punch awl, whatever), instead a knife or hatchet as it is now. Although it would require a knife on inventory to work perhaps.

But it would clash with the "minimalism" idea of TLD i guess. People already argue a lot about not being redundant etc

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Old Hermit said:

In fact, the tools for leatherworking are a little different from those used for sewing cloth. Maybe it would be interesting if the leather coats would NEED a specialized tool to be crafted (bone needle, leather punch awl, whatever), instead a knife or hatchet as it is now. Although it would require a knife on inventory to work perhaps.

But it would clash with the "minimalism" idea of TLD i guess. People already argue a lot about not being redundant etc

Sure, I like the "minimalism" idea of TLD and get your "dig" and some of my other comments.  (The space blanket is merely another piece of loot...  Care to devise a way to craft a space blanket in game?).  I can agree, it would perhaps be better if Hinterland did make a bone awl and crafted leather punch necessary in addition to the current knife or hatchet... as opposed to my original idea of making it an alternative.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a player generally in favor of the implement of as many options as possible in survival games. This is not a challenge regulator at all (or shouldnt be).

Give us every all options of resources, and tune up the difficulty through environmental harshness, wildlife behavior, shorteness of food or clothing, et cetera. By the way, most of the ideas that i have would serves to make the player's life HARDER. Someday maybe i share them here along the forums (wolves sniffing our footprints and tracking us down, one single rifle and revolver per save, etc)

 

But i had to surrender to the "less is more" atmosphere of TLD. With some exceptions of course.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Old Hermit said:

I'm a player generally in favor of the implement of as many options as possible in survival games. This is not a challenge regulator at all (or shouldnt be).

Give us every all options of resources, and tune up the difficulty through environmental harshness, wildlife behavior, shorteness of food or clothing, et cetera. By the way, most of the ideas that i have would serves to make the player's life HARDER. Someday maybe i share them here along the forums (wolves sniffing our footprints and tracking us down, one single rifle and revolver per save, etc)

 

But i had to surrender to the "less is more" atmosphere of TLD. With some exceptions of course.

Add zombies... like other survival games, eh?.  TLD opted to go a more realistic route with the harshness of the environment and the behaviors of the animals and minimize the modern conveniences avaialble to the player.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Diğer hayatta kalma oyunları gibi zombi ekleyin, ha? TLD, çevrenin sertliği ve hayvanların davranışlarıyla daha gerçekçi bir rotaya gitmeyi ve oyuncuya sunulan modern kolaylıkları en aza indirmeyi seçti. zombiler ... diğer hayatta kalma oyunları gibi, ha? TLD, çevrenin sertliği ve hayvanların davranışlarıyla daha gerçekçi bir rotaya gitmeyi ve oyuncuya sunulan modern kolaylıkları en aza indirmeyi seçti. oyuncu. .

Hey, you misunderstood. He gave me the idea to make a variation of the same device as the different things in the environment. 

For example, now that it's about the bone. 

We don't have an axe, and the only place to do it is a backgammon stove. "Old Hermit" thought we could make a temporary axe here with this bone. Or we don't have a knife, and he argued that the same device should be made in several way, like we could sharpn the bone and make a knife, which I agree with. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Add zombies... like other survival games, eh?.  TLD opted to go a more realistic route with the harshness of the environment and the behaviors of the animals and minimize the modern conveniences avaialble to the player.

I think i didn't understand what you mean.

Anyways, i dislike zombies and other magical/sci-fi elements inserted in a "realistic" environment.

 

What i'm saying is that i don't mind with adding other survival items, since it widens the array of options for the player, and it not neccessarily makes the things easier, since there are several ways to turn the gameplay hellish harder by other ways. But not adding these things is also irrelevant to me, since the game is already well balanced and "coherent".

Sorry for any misunderstandings

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sherlock Holmes 18 said:

Hey, you misunderstood. He gave me the idea to make a variation of the same device as the different things in the environment. 

For example, now that it's about the bone. 

We don't have an axe, and the only place to do it is a backgammon stove. "Old Hermit" thought we could make a temporary axe here with this bone. Or we don't have a knife, and he argued that the same device should be made in several way, like we could sharpn the bone and make a knife, which I agree with. 

I see your point, but i think that bone weapons are not a good idea. Bone utensils, on the other hand, sounds better. I already see the improvised tools that we craft as rough enough. I'd prefer an option to spend 10x time and materials to craft a freaking scrap metal machete, instead that pointed metal that looks made by a caveman.

Link to post
Share on other sites
UpUpAway95 11 saat önce şunları söyledi:
8 hours ago, Old Hermit said:

Demek istediğini anlıyorum, ama bence kemikli silahlar iyi bir fikir değil. Öte yandan kemik kaplar daha iyi ses çıkarır. Yaptığımız doğaçlama aletleri zaten yeterince sert görüyorum. Bir mağara adamı tarafından yapılmış gibi görünen sivri uçlu metal yerine, acayip bir hurda metal pala yapmak için 10 kat zaman ve malzeme harcama seçeneğini tercih ederim.

 

I don't want the guns either. I just tried to make it look like it. 😉😉

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

Discussions are looking good, read something about adding zombies?, don't know why they would be added to a  'realistic' survival game, also the topic is a bone needle. Saw some references to other ideas besides zoms that seemed intresting, I didn't think about using large bones to make tools, a good idea, they would be Heavier than the improvised  tools I think, but if theres no other choice when the going gets tough. Much like the discussion of taking a long time to seperate the bone from an animal, it would take a while to make a tool, probs days. But adding that concept to making a bone needle would give it its own balance, I think, time is a resource in TLD and wasting a few hours to craft something that may help you get out of a pinch later on when you don't have similar tools for the job can be a game changer. For some clothing items, they take up an entire sewing kit if not mulitiple at 100% CON to craft something, a fishing tackle takes longer. At higher difficulties it's harder to find such tools unless you're a pro who knows where all guaranteed spawns are. As for using scrap metal to make a fishing tackle and using it as an alternative, I know it well, thats why I made this post. It just don't feel right ya know?

 

I wish to see that the bone needle serves as an alternative to it, while keeping the sewing time on par with that of the sewing kit. The cons to it would be that the crafting time of the kit itself would take longer than the fishing tackle. A span of multiple hour even, that's not counting the time to find the bone for it. At the same time it would be as efficient as the sewing kit. These ideas are still incomplete at this time, but YOU can help by expanding it, keep on discussin'.

 

Kinda feels that when I say bone needle many think of getting bones from large game, don't forget bout them wabbits now, though it would prove harder to aquire a good bone

 

Sorry for jumping off the ship for a month, wanted to let the stew simmer. Also didn't have time to add some of my ideas to the fire at the time of making the post so here I am, lookin good.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

At the risk of adding more on to a, perhaps belabored, point I can add my own 2 cents regarding this subject.

Bone needles seem like they'd be hard enough to take a sharp point and durable enough to withstand much use on the pointy end. For the eye, a knife could be competently used to carefully carve one, much like for a wooden needle so possibly not much of a resource expenditure there except time, light, and a fire to keep warm. I'd second the hours long crafting time, as that's what it took me my first time with a wooden needle IRL. Sharpening bone isn't all that hard, you really just need a rock, any reasonably flat rock with a pitted surface will do really.

I can see larger in-game animals at least needing more tools to break their bones down to manageable sizes for needles, bear, wolf or deer bones needing hacksaws for instance, but making more than one needle out of the crafting process, or, perhaps, a stronger one, in addition to what's needed to kill and butcher the animal in the first place.

Transitioning this into a refillable sewing kit might be tougher, but very doable. Perhaps if some of the existing Ace Mending Kits can come in metal tins and not just in plastic boxes. Line strong enough to hold fish can already be made from cured gut with the aid of a workbench, which seems like a reasonable compromise on work versus reward to refilling a sewing kit.

I don't know if these kits should be a longer term project, although I can see the balance aspect of needing the compilation of many different kinds of materials to make something self-contained, durable and protective of its contents. Bullet casings could be cut to work as the sides of thread spools, a credit card sized patch of cured rabbit hide with strips sewn through it could be glued to the inside of the lid to hold multiple needles.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now