Will the game ever run on Mac without using gl?

Criptic

Since Halloween the only way to get the game working is to use the gl core command on a Mac. However, this has often been found to  slow the game down, bring up weird glitches and errors and some report poor saves. Considering this ‘fix’ brings in so many errors that can make you not want to invest the hours the game needs - will Hinterland be looking at resolving them so we can go back to playing without using this method? Feels like Mac gamers are being made to put up with second best.

• Upvote 2

I have the same question. I reported this as a bug after the Hesitant Prospect update and so far only received a response indicating they are aware of the problem. 

I don't have any more standing than any other customer, though I backed this game in the original Kickstarter and have got well more value out of it that I have ever paid into it. However, if macOS is going to become unsupported or a tertiary platform, please let the community of users know earlier rather than later. 

love,

shmoo

I really don't understand why devs use directX when wanting to support multiple OSs. I wish directX would just die, honestly. Worthless proprietary garbage.

edit-----

GL works on windows, mac, and linux and is fine when used properly. Obviously. Just look at all the games that use it and have it running great. If hinterland dropped directX and just got the GL version working well surely it would make it easier to keep everything supported?

Edited by odizzido

• 2 months later...
On 2/3/2021 at 7:56 PM, Criptic said:

Since Halloween the only way to get the game working is to use the gl core command on a Mac. However, this has often been found to  slow the game down, bring up weird glitches and errors and some report poor saves. Considering this ‘fix’ brings in so many errors that can make you not want to invest the hours the game needs - will Hinterland be looking at resolving them so we can go back to playing without using this method? Feels like Mac gamers are being made to put up with second best.

Could you tell me the command?

• 4 months later...

I've been waiting since October 2020 for this to get fixed. Forcing OpenGL brings about more bugs than it fixes and frame rates inside buildings just comes to a halt no matter how low the graphics settings, so its unplayable in either mode. Funnily enough when 'outside' the frame rates are fine. I did get an email response back in February saying that they are 'no longer supporting Vulkan at this time' and it's still not fixed today! I only came here today to see what the score is regarding this. I haven't played properly since October. Shame because this is probably the best game ive ever played!

• 7 months later...
On 4/6/2022 at 11:13 AM, Nazario said:

FYI The latest Unity upgrade patch still has not fixed this issue and I've now given up any hope of playing this game again. 

We're sorry to hear you're experiencing this issue. We have heard that things have improved for some Players following the Update, but we know there are different variables that contribute to the situation. 

Forcing OpenGL is a temporary workaround, and we will continue to work on solutions to this ongoing issue. Thank you for your patience. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Admin said:

We're sorry to hear you're experiencing this issue. We have heard that things have improved for some Players following the Update, but we know there are different variables that contribute to the situation. 

Forcing OpenGL is a temporary workaround, and we will continue to work on solutions to this ongoing issue. Thank you for your patience. 

The OpenGL workaround causes huge lag when inside buildings or caves no matter how low the graphics settings (if you go outside everything is buttery smooth) so for me at least the game has been unplayable in either version since Darkwalker update.

Edited by Nazario

• 3 weeks later...
Guest jeffpeng

What exactly does -force-glcore fix on Mac? I'm running TLD on MacOS, on the M1 processors no less, without such option and it works flawlessly, at least afaict.

• 5 months later...

With the influx in new development dollars and the expansion, is there any intent or desire by Hinterland to resolve the need for `-force-glcore` on INTEL Mac systems to avoid the "clown bubbles" phenomenon and get back to a "default works" configuration?