When travelling, do not carry meat as "travelling food." Even cooked meat.

Even though there's no scent indicator for carrying one piece of cooked meat, you still give off a scent, which wolves will pick up on, and track you with. When travelling, carry only non-meat food. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok I’ll do one:  Don’t make a nighttime trek across Bleak Inlet during an aurora.  Them timberwolves are fierce!  I lost a 200+ day survivor like that...

Dont take antibiotics immediately after food poisoning. You can sneak in eating more ruined foods and your FP recovery time will still remain the same.

Most threads here are about what to do. This thread is for sharing tips about what not to do (generally) in Survival Mode. I'll start this off: Don't try to climb Timberwolf Mountain or explore t

Posted Images

Here, have some real wisdom:

Don't believe everything you read on the internet. (This one is actually originally from Abraham Lincoln, so kudos Abe!)

While most stuff here is pretty good advice, some ... well ... might be misleading. But hey, opinions, you know. So here are mine:

Don't play for day 100 (or 1000 or whatever). Play towards your next goal, try to improve your situation, not your wealth, use what you have to your advantage. There is no interest for riches you accumulate, and nobody will inherit them. You will die of something stupid or quit the game out of boredom before you run out of anything (unless you are playing like a single map challenge). Don't be that guy that dies with a stim in his hand.

Don't quit. Nature will do you in all on its own. You don't need to surrender - you will die when it's time. Many situations that may look hopeless are salvageable with a bit of work, a bit of luck and a bit of humility.

Don't have a plan. Have an objective. No plan survives contact with the enemy. Sure, you need an idea how to approach a problem, but you also need to factor in new variables as they become known to you. Planning to climb that mountain tomorrow might be a good plan. Sticking to that plan in a blizzard is not. Passing up an opportunity just because it doesn't fit in your schedule might be stupid - or not, depending on the importance of your schedule and the extend of the opportunity. Keep reevaluating your situation as often as possible.

Don't dillydally. Your most valuable resource is time. Need to wait an hour to do something? Find something to do until then. Sharpen your knife, clean your rifle, prepare some tea, read a book, run around gathering firewood, break up some torches, tear down some curtains, go kill something, map your surroundings, look for things in your inventory you don't need. Just don't waste your time waiting for some water to boil. That being said ....

Don't rush yourself. Haste makes waste. Spending 10 minutes to make sure something that almost never happens but kills you when it does doesn't happen are 10 minutes well spend. Waiting for better weather might get you where you want to go faster rather than setting out in deep fog and getting lost. The extra mile just before sunset might be the extra mile that makes the exhausted you meet the hungry wolf you didn't see.

Don't be a mule. Don't lug around 55 kilograms of garbage. Stash stuff you don't need somewhere and note where you left it. Chances are you will never come back to get it because you just don't need 6 toolboxes or 14 hatchets or 4 hammers or 9 pots or 7 rifles in the time you will in all likelihood play this particular save. Stay light.

And maybe the most important thing I came to realize:

Don't think you know. Yon don't know that there never is a wolf at this particular spot. Maybe there never was a wolf before here, but this time a wolf got scared by a bear - that was detoured by you carrying some smelly meat 4 hours ago - and so that wolf ended up ripping you a new one at a spot it shouldn't be. It's a cliché if there ever was any, but really do expect the unexpected - because it'll be the thing that kills you.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Got a couple simple ones:

Weight is mostly irrelevant, if you're not climbing any ropes anytime soon use it as a resource, load up on sticks as you travel and just drop them at a convenient location ( a cave, fire barrel, safe house, anywhere! ) , allow the amazing re-spawn mechanics to work, pick up the sticks and new ones will show in place of those in due time! Carry a buffer of sticks for emergency firewood and as some wise LongDarkians before me said: ABS -> Always be stickpicking! If you have to climb some ropes, drop enough sticks to make it and just carry on, you'll eventually have to travel through that spot again in the future, plus the stick pile at the bottom of the rope serves as an emergency cache, in a scenario where you have to get a few z's before climbing. Stickpicking it's TLD's dividend investing, it just keeps on giving. 

Your condition is also a resource, so you use it accordingly. You're settled in a nice safe house away from predators? You can stay  outside longer to fend off cabin fever and collect resources ( or even gawk at the amazing art this game has, this isn't about minmaxing, it's about enjoying the game while you freeze you nuts off), draining your condition below 50% is not a big deal then. Are you about to enter a wolf infested chokepoint with no means of self-defence? Top up that condition bar  and prepare for a possible struggle, you shouldn't really need to struggle if your aim is even moderately decent, but it's good to have 90%+ condition should you need to.

Explore! I've seen countless threads ( mostly on reddit ) of people questioning if they should take their survivor to Bleak Inlet, Ash Canyon or Hushed River Valley. Losing a survivor is a also an extremely cool rite of passage, I remember a couple losses that taught me lessons I still carry to this day ( one was a 430+ loper, before I had the 500 day achievement ) but that never precluded me from checking the new regions. I've explored BI with Tom McKenzie, Will's roughneck and frostbitten cousin, and he beat the ass of the Timberwolves with a bow in his hand. For Ash Canyon I took Will himself there, if he dies he dies. Historytelling and roleplaying are key to enjoy survival, but don't let the attachment from that dull out your willingness and resolve to go further and farther!

Last one: The best difficulty is the one you get most enjoyment out of. Simple as that, experiment with the difficulty levels and find your groove. No shame in playing any of the difficulty levels, because let's be honest, they all become easy with enough practice, but no less enjoyable. If you want even more suffering and freezing, the custom toolbox is always available and many forum members put together some codes for very interesting challenges. Replayability, that's the crown jewel in the treasure room of features this amazing game has.

EDIT: I suddenly realized the thread is about things NOT to do, and I just postulated the opposite here. Sorry OP! Just apply a negative to the wall of text above and the semantics should work with the thread. Sorry!

Edited by Dan_
I can't read titles, apparently.
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
11 hours ago, Dan_ said:

EDIT: I suddenly realized the thread is about things NOT to do, and I just postulated the opposite here. Sorry OP! Just apply a negative to the wall of text above and the semantics should work with the thread. Sorry!

Excellent advice in that post.  It works perfectly - what "not to do" is not paying attention to the great tips!