2 hours ago, The Orange Birb said:

Don't waste your sewing kits.

Nice tip about making full use of fishing hooks' durability. I figure once you have a few fishing hooks at a low enough % to use for fishing. It would be fine to use a sewing kit?

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, TheKnightIsDark said:

Nice tip about making full use of fishing hooks' durability. I figure once you have a few fishing hooks at a low enough % to use for fishing. It would be fine to use a sewing kit?

For me personally, I only use sewing kits for two reasons: 1. An emergency situation where the item/clothes is about to break (Very Low durability items/clothes) and 2. for items/clothes that require a very long time to repair (Ex: Wolfskin coat, Bearskin coat, etc.).

Also, if you don't have enough supplies to create more fishing tackle and you need to repair something right away, then ya, the sewing kit is your only choice. However, each scrap metal gives you 3 hooks and each cured gut gives you 2 line, so you can create 6 fishing tackle with 2 scrap metal and 3 cured guts. Each fishing tackle will last for a good amount of repairs (And it will increase how many times you can use it depending on your sewing level) and with the low durability fishing tackle, you can use them for fishing at the same efficiency as a 100% condition fishing tackle.

Also, make sure you stop using the fishing tackle (for repairing) once it is a very low durability (Around 10% is the lowest). If a fishing tackle is at around 10% durability and you use it again for repairing, the fishing tackle will break/become broken, so it won't be usable again for either repairing or fishing.

Edited by The Orange Birb
Typo
  • Upvote 3

Some good tips folks! I've actually learned a thing or two from reading them, especially for playing Interloper (which, IMO, is almost like playing a whole other game). I'm going to have to compile these somewhere.

Here's a couple more of my own:

Don't read this thread if you want a challenging survival experience. There's so much good advice here that you'll be gaining epic achievements in no time flat if you read the responses to this thread. (OK, just kidding!)

Don't use the rifle for defense. It's heavy, ammo is scarce, you can't shoot without aiming (which will always cause wolves to charge) and it sways a lot, especially if you're tired. If you're adept at using it, the bow is excellent for defending yourself. If you're not that great a shot with the bow, the revolver works well for protection against wolves and timberwolves.

Don't walk into Scruffy's cave unprepared. That cave in the northern part of Desolation Point seems inviting, but a careless adventurer will likely fade into the long dark soon after entry, for Scruffy the wolf does not appreciate intruders. Killing Scruffy can be challenging due to the cave being dark; one strategy is to enter with a torch and some fuel, light a fire inside the cave, and throw a lot of torches around to light the cave. When Scruffy's visible, use the bow or revolver to take a shot. He won't respawn once slain (spoiler alert!), so you'll be safe from that point onwards.

Don't hunt wolves for food without level 5 cooking [Stalker, Interloper]. It's simply not worth the risk of getting intestinal parasites, and wolves don't have that much meat on them anyways. Deer, fish, and rabbits are plentiful and don't carry the risk of intestinal parasites.

Don't fix the moosehide cloak. Moose hides are a pain to obtain and take a long time to cure. A simpler solution is to harvest the cloak and re-craft it. This does take a long time and requires gut, but guts are easy to obtain from rabbits or deer.

Don't explore a new region for the first time on Interloper with a new survivor. Interloper is hard enough if you know the maps like the back of your hand, but is much more difficult if you're in a region you're not familiar with. This is especially true if your survivor doesn't yet have top-quality clothing. Either explore the map thoroughly on Voyageur or Stalker (which are better for exploration anyways, IMO), or make sure your survivor is well equipped before exploring a new region on Interloper.

• Upvote 1
9 hours ago, The Orange Birb said:

Don't use matches to directly start a fire.

Don't go for the Well-fed bonus in the beginning of the game.

I wouldn't say that those are big don'ts in Voyageur or Stalker, but they are probably the number one and number two rules of survival in Interloper.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Re: 10-30% fishing tackle to be used for fishing after cloths repairs/crafting. Both 10 and 30% lines broke shortly after starting to fish. I am level3 fisherman. Not sure if it is my luck that day or those tackles dont have much life in them.

I'm probably going to keep using them until they completely wear vs going fishing with them when almost depleted.

But still, using fishing tackle for crafting if not in a hurry is great. I did a moose satchel just using fishing line. It actually showed shorter time with hook vs sewing kit. Not sure whyūü§Ē

• Like 2
59 minutes ago, Stinky socks said:

Re: 10-30% fishing tackle to be used for fishing after cloths repairs/crafting. Both 10 and 30% lines broke shortly after starting to fish. I am level3 fisherman. Not sure if it is my luck that day or those tackles dont have much life in them.

Before having the level 5 fishing skill, your line will break pretty often. Before I got the level 5 fishing skill, I tested using both 100% condition and 10% condition fishing tackle for fishing and I got pretty much the same rate (Catch some fish, the line breaks, catch some more fish, etc.). It was most likely that your luck wasn't on your side on that day :/

59 minutes ago, Stinky socks said:

I did a moose satchel just using fishing line. It actually showed shorter time with hook vs sewing kit. Not sure whyūü§Ē

Ya I completely forgot to talk about that point. While crafting/sewing new clothing (Wolfskin coat, moose-hide satchel, etc.), the fishing tackle is actually faster than the sewing kit. Also, when you craft new gear, it pretty much will shred through one whole sewing kit (It will also shred through fishing tackle but it's a lot better to lose durability on fishing tackle instead of a sewing kit), so it is pretty much a total advantage to just use fishing tackle to craft new gear instead of sewing kits.

Edited by The Orange Birb
More Info
  • Upvote 1

(Stalker difficulty or below) Don't forget to pick up your shell casings from firing a weapon (Rifle/Revolver casings).

This works differently for the rifle and revolver. For the rifle, whenever you fire the weapon, a rifle shell casing will be dropped on the ground. For the revolver, once you reload your weapon, then (between 1-6) shell casings will be dropped to the ground. Make sure you pick these up, as you can craft ammo using those shell casings (You will also need gunpowder and bullets, which bullets can be crafted from scrap lead from hacksawing car batteries) at the ammunition workbench at Bleak Inlet.

Don't forget to bring a stone or two in your inventory.

I'm not sure how effective stones are in Interloper, but on lower difficulties, you can use stones to make wolves walk towards a certain direction. For example, you can throw a stone away from a path so the wolf will stop blocking the path (So you can continue to walk on that path, while crouching, without having to deal with an encounter with a wolf). You can also use stones to hunt rabbits with, which they have a small amount of calories on them but are more important for their hide and guts (For crafting items like the rabbitskin mittens and hat).

• Upvote 2

Die. Sandbox is that easy. I don't see what the problem. I mean the game literally only has one failure state, so don't die and you'll alway not fail. How do does one do that? Easy don't play the game. If you want to have fun playing the game though, then that's a different story.

Don't forget to crouch while harvesting an animal.

Just recently in my run, I was harvesting a deer while crouched, which out of no where a wolf appeared. Thankfully I had all of the meat dropped on the ground beforehand (Like I mentioned on a previous tip) and I was crouched, as if I didn't do that, I would most likely have an encounter with the wolf. However, I just threw a rock (To make it walk towards a certain direction) and I got some free wolf meat with the deer meat I had.

Don't forget that you can refill jerry cans while cooking fish.

If you don't have a jerry can and you pick up a cooked fish, you will get a small container of lamp oil. However, if you have a jerry can in your inventory when you pick up the cooked fish, it will actually add that lamp oil to the jerry can. I did not know this until recently when I had a jerry can accidentally in my inventory (When I was organizing my home base) while cooking fish, which I found out that tip.

• Upvote 3

I'd like to add something. If you have like 5 partially filled lantern fuel cans on the shelf, pick them up before starting cooking. That way, you won't have like additional 20 partially filled lantern fuel cans.

Here's what happens, when you have those partially filled lantern cans, they all get topped off when you cook fish, so instead of having 0.06gal 0.03gal 0.08gal cans, you get them all like 0.13gal 0.13gal 0.13gal. Just like jerry can, they get filled up.

• Like 2

Don't just wait when waiting for food/water to be cooked (Unless if you have absolutely nothing to do).

While food/water is cooking, you can do other tasks instead of just doing nothing/waiting it out. For example, you can repair your clothes, turn birch saplings into arrow shafts, craft arrows, repair your tools/weapons, etc. This will make sure that you use every minute effectively and having to not waste time on doing those tasks some other time when you can do those tasks while the food/water is cooking.

Don't carry a rope around (If you don't plan on going somewhere that requires you to attach a rope).

The climbing rope weighs at 11Ibs/5kg, so if you don't have any inventory upgrades (Moose-hide satchel, well-fed bonus, or the technical backpack), the rope itself will take up 17% of your inventory weight and when fully exhausted, it will take up 33% of your inventory. Unless if you are going somewhere that requires you to attach a rope (Which there aren't many areas that you will need to attach a rope, as most areas already have a rope attached to them), I would not just carry the rope around.

Don't forget to pick up coal when you are at mines.

Coal weighs at .66Ibs/.3kg, which it will burn for one hour (With level 1 fire-starting, which it will increase in burning time as you level your fire-starting skill up). In comparison, cedar wood weighs at 1.11Ibs/.5kg, which it will also burn for one hour. Coal will also give off a lot of heat when you burn it (+36F, +20C), which you can burn coal at a forge in order to have it hot enough to craft tools (Ex: Arrow tips, makeshift knifes/hatchets, etc.). I would say that coal is probably the best fuel for fires, as it not only weighs a small amount but it also will burn for the same time as cedar and it will give off a lot of heat, which can help in desperate situations where you are freezing.

• Upvote 1

Thank you on coal burn to weight ratio. For some reason I kept thinking it is the heaviest fuel. I shall make a trip to a local coal mine now just for that!

Edit: because tired collecting sticks and don't want to use up hatchet to break down fir and cedar.(and pallets on fishing village)

Edited by Stinky socks
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
13 minutes ago, mfuegemann said:

So don't carry coal as the only fuel. Finding a stick in a blizzard can be demanding.

True, but that coal can help you survive a blizzard if you’re lost and can’t find anything but a windbreak.    A coal fire will keep you warm and dry while you’re lost in a blizzard that could otherwise kill you. 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

(TWM) Don't forget that there are two containers (to hacksaw) per cargo box.

When you go to a cargo box, there are two containers or "sides" to hacksaw for each of the cargo boxes. I almost forgot this when I went to the Summit, which I would've missed around 1/2 of the loot without even knowing so.

Don't forget that flare rounds (Not normal throwable flares) (VERY) slowly decay.

This won't be an issue if you only plan to play a save for 500 days or less. However, for those going beyond 500 days (Around 1000+ days), this will become an issue. In Voyager after 365 days, all of the flare rounds are at 80% condition. Assuming it takes 365 days for a flare round to lose 20% condition, flare rounds will last roughly for 1825 days before fully decaying. I'm not sure if they will become unusable once they hit 0% condition, but I'm assuming that they will become unusable. For those planning to go that far into a save, keep that in mind when using/saving flare rounds.

Don't wait a very long time to go to the Summit.

I made the mistake of going to the Summit after 370 days, which most of the food/medicine/clothes decayed there. And for those wondering, it is 100% worth going to the Summit, as there is VERY good loot. I won't spoil what's there but all I will say is that the trip is definitely worth it. Also, make sure you go to the Summit before a good chunk of the loot decays/becomes unusable.

• Upvote 1