"TLD2" Idea

Vareta

This is just some food for thought, but imagine that after TLD, Will and Astrid leave great bear and go to the mainland. There they find a broken, frozen, urban landscape, where the effects of the flare are especially felt. People start to panic, essential resources run low, ellectricity goes down and fighting starts to happen. Now what is left are small groups of people who steal and kill each other in order to survive. While radically different from the original game, it would give room to certain systems that first game cannot include. Dont you think this would be cool ? Remember this just a discussion about a game that does not even exist.

Personally I would prefer a sequel to The Long Dark be themed around non-Winter seasons, and in a more urban environment. Get in on that "reclaimed by nature" aethstetic lots of people like.

I personally also don't envision Will/Astrid being in a hypothetical sequel as protagonists. Maybe other people feel differently, but IMO neither of them really feel like they'd be recurring characters in a sequel. [joke about Jennifer Hale's paycheck goes here] I think the Quiet Apocalypse itself is the main plot feature that should be expanded upon in a sequel, and that's probably best served via viewing it from a completely different perspective, such as someone else living in a different country altogether and several months afterwards instead of the immediate aftermath.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Lexilogo said:

Personally I would prefer a sequel to The Long Dark be themed around non-Winter seasons, and in a more urban environment. Get in on that "reclaimed by nature" aethstetic lots of people like.

I personally also don't envision Will/Astrid being in a hypothetical sequel as protagonists. Maybe other people feel differently, but IMO neither of them really feel like they'd be recurring characters in a sequel. [joke about Jennifer Hale's paycheck goes here] I think the Quiet Apocalypse itself is the main plot feature that should be expanded upon in a sequel, and that's probably best served via viewing it from a completely different perspective, such as someone else living in a different country altogether and several months afterwards instead of the immediate aftermath.

Well yes Will and Astrid do not have to be the protagonists, to be honest, I don’t care. What I really like is the idea of seeing the effects of the flare on a more...civilized setting. Though I believe it would be best to keep the permanent winter, I mean it’s kind of the main theme, also changing it would imply changing the art style which I absolutely adore.

I think that the game you are suggesting is the most likely outcome of the first game.  It’s a good discussion that is different from the zombies and cannibals.  That said, it’s not a game I would be interested in playing because the survival genre is already full of games that are post apocalyptic, dog eat dog scenarios.  Seeing a larger urban world effected by the aurora would be interesting but wouldn’t be different enough for me to care long term.  
I’m not trying to take anything away from the idea or attack it even, if you take my meaning.  Those type of games have large followings as well.  Just for me personally, I wouldn’t opt into it.

3 hours ago, Stinky socks said:

It will likely be so long ways away that it's even too early to start discussing #2 me thinks.

We haven't even seen the ending of the first game yet.

this is not a wish (although it is in the wish list...😅) its just a way to share a concept that to me is pretty cool.

• Like 1

Hello, I'm new to the forums and this is the first discussion I'll post on.

Personally I think the urban landscape would be quite interesting but at the same time it depends what kind of a landscape that would be. If it's a big city with tall buildings even if they'd be accessible I'm quite sure I'd get bored and find it tiresome real fast to explore these boxes. I guess we'd need smaller settlements. Let's disregard the tiresome and boresome aspects and let's say it's a fairly sized city with a big population. Sure, it might be fun to explore it and survive it but if there would be groups of survivors formed by all kinds of individuals fighting would start to happen as you've said. Which I think is probably the part I'd dislike a lot. A city would be different than Great Bear and one difference is the availability of firearms. Let's imagine that presumably quite a lot of people survived the first flare. And days after fights broke out in the city, killing, stealing and etc.. IMHO that would be a shooter more than a pure survival game because it wouldn't be very logical to roam in the city and pass-by trouble that would end in blood. Take a look at the convicts seen on Episode 1. Cities hold much more scum than one can imagine.

Basically this is how I'd not like the game to be realized 😄

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, V3NA said:

Hello, I'm new to the forums and this is the first discussion I'll post on.

Personally I think the urban landscape would be quite interesting but at the same time it depends what kind of a landscape that would be. If it's a big city with tall buildings even if they'd be accessible I'm quite sure I'd get bored and find it tiresome real fast to explore these boxes. I guess we'd need smaller settlements. Let's disregard the tiresome and boresome aspects and let's say it's a fairly sized city with a big population. Sure, it might be fun to explore it and survive it but if there would be groups of survivors formed by all kinds of individuals fighting would start to happen as you've said. Which I think is probably the part I'd dislike a lot. A city would be different than Great Bear and one difference is the availability of firearms. Let's imagine that presumably quite a lot of people survived the first flare. And days after fights broke out in the city, killing, stealing and etc.. IMHO that would be a shooter more than a pure survival game because it wouldn't be very logical to roam in the city and pass-by trouble that would end in blood. Take a look at the convicts seen on Episode 1. Cities hold much more scum than one can imagine.

Basically this is how I'd not like the game to be realized 😄

Well, now that I think about it, it would be kinda stupid for people to shoot each other instantly. In that scenario people would probably try to hudle together as much as possible, yeah sure there would be some struggles but I dont think anyone would resort to an outright shootout. So unlike TLD, this fictional game, could be about survival in a group instead of alone with rare occasions of agressions between humans.