I shot a bear...

UpUpAway95

15 hours ago, GamingTilTheEnd said:

"If you can't go around, Go Under." Go Above and Over in this case XD.

I've seen bears climb trees IRL, but this is the first time I ever saw one climb a tree inTLD.  I love how the tree itself actually responds by swaying as the bear got to the top... makes me think it's possibly not a bug.

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes 18 said:

3 merkarşına geçip tek bir kafa vuruşuyla mermi israfı yapmayabilirdiniz ama garip bir durum. 

Use Turkish translation 

He was already bleeding out when I shot him before I started the video capture.  I knew I should not have had to shoot him again at all as he would have died eventually anyways. 

I did not waste the shots.  My point in taking the video and the 3 shots you saw was to show that he was not scaring off... nor was he attacking me even though I was extremely close.  He was locked into the eating animation, and I eventually had to exit and reload the file since nothing I did was going to stop him from forever eating the rabbit.

Also, I don't mind using a translator.  However, you should be aware that this is the English section of these forums, and there is a separate section for posts in Turkish (and several other languages) listed farther down the page.  I speak only English, so you'll have to use a translator to read my replies.

Edited by UpUpAway95

14 hours ago, Sherlock Holmes 18 said:

There is very little writing in the Turkish section and translating in English makes a very different meaning. That's why I was doing this so you could understand me better. 

As I said, I don't mind using a translator, but understand that the meaning gets skewed regardless of whether I use the translator or you do. 

From what I understood, you said that I wasted three shots trying to kill the wolf by not taking head shots.  I am explaining that I wasn't trying to kill the wolf when I decided to take those three shots on the video.  I was trying to show that he would not stop eating the rabbit.  He wouldn't attack and he wouldn't run away.  He was bugged... locked into the animation of eating. 

My first shot (taken before I started the video) had effectively killed him since there was a clear blood trail in the snow and he was limping before he spotted the rabbit.  In TLD, any animal that is leaving a blood trail will eventually bleed out and die.  People never have to take a second shot at all.  Critical hits are assigned by a percentage chance dependent on where the animal is hit.  A head shot has the highest percentage chance of scoring a critical hit, but I don't believe that percentage chance is ever 100%.  I have had moose stay standing even after hitting them right in the face and I've had moose go down in one shot after hitting them in the chest.  Criticial hit chance increases as you level up your skills... it's right in the description of the rifle skill.

Edited by UpUpAway95

1 hour ago, Stinky socks said:

Re:bear, so if they can climb like that, does it mean they may be able to ambush you at some point from the top?

Re:rabbit, that begs the question, are they so tasty, not worth to pass up as the last meal before fading into the long dark?

Re bear - that's the million dollar question, isn't it?  Another thought that crossed my mind was that, perhaps, they're prepping the AI for the introduction of cougars down the road... who would most likely be able to climb trees in order to attack the character from above.

• Like 2

Since the tree swaying animation is already built into the game, and animals can climb the trees, this sets the stage for the best addition to the game ever: COUGARS!

Wild cougars often climb a tree to lie in wait for unwary prey.  Imagine plodding along with your survivor, trekking a pile of moose meat to your cabin.  You pause for a small break near a stand of trees and suddenly a ravening giant cat pounces like death from above!  

or, a wary survivor might see a tree swaying slightly out of sync with the other trees and look up to see the big cat, draw a bead, and let that rifle shell take away all its nine lives!  

Whoops!  I didn’t read your post Upupandaway before writing my own on the same exact subject.  I do like that we are on the same page!  The game needs more challenge and cougars would make it just that much more intense!  I’ve been lobbying Hinterland for their addition to the game for half a year or so.  Maybe they’re listening?