A few item suggestions from a seasoned backpacker

Cranky

Just a few simple items I think would be greatly helpful and add some more realism. I’ve only played survival (the only true way to play) and I’m sure all of these have been suggested before.  

1. Compass (we’re already mapping with charcoal and know our sunrise and sunset).

2. Binoculars or small telescope (again, helps with mapping but also scouting)

3. Ability to craft a spear (how is this not already part of survival? If we can forge a knife or hatchet why not be able to make a simple spear.)  Once a player finds a knife he should be able to make a spear on the fly and a metal tipped spear on a work bench. Makes perfect sense both defensively and hunting. If it’s timed right, the defensive action could kill a wolf, bear or charging moose.

4. Snow shoes and skis with or without poles (why would these not be in the Canadian outback?).

5. Bear spray ( the guns only piss them off in my limited experience).

6. Zippo lighter or similar (like the lamp, fuel required).

7. Small folding saw.

8. Slingshot (either craftable or as a found item).

9. Lighter hammer (4kg is heavy, small one handed sledgehammers generally weigh 2-6 lbs or 1-3kg). Framing hammers or roofing hammers which have a hatchet on the back side (I carry one when backpacking instead of a hatchet) usually weigh around half a kilo and would also be very useful (defensively, crafting, harvesting).

10. Ice axe (we’re in mountain country and climbing ropes are already in the game). Another versatile tool which could be used for harvesting, crafting, and defensively. 

11. Another kind of pack or satchel (taking down a moose ain’t easy and we find small green backpacks throughout). Even if it only carried 2 additional kg’s. 

12. Scope for the rifle .

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

1. The compass has an in-lore reason as to why it doesn't exist, being the whole geo-magnetic storm that messed up most tech. Sorry, mate.

2. Might be a tad much, depending on how it can be used.

3. This one is a pretty hotly contested point around these forums. You'd be surprised at how many folks think the game isn't "hard enough" as it stands without spears.

4. Once again, complaints of "making the game too easy" would probably abound. Which, admittedly, I can see in this case, if you're able to fend off a bear attack with a relatively lightweight item.

5. This one's been tossed around the forums a few times, could be neat, I'd suggest looking at some of the other threads about it.

6. Actually, that'd be pretty neat. Frick, now I want it, pfft.

7. The big question is how would it work, exactly? What sort of role or purpose would it fill?

8. Could make rabbit hunting a far easier task. It'd be nigh useless for most everything else.

9. So, just a lighter hammer? Would it be somehow worse than the heavy hammer, or be unable to do certain things, or is there something to make up for the lighter weight?

10. Refer to number seven above.

11. There was the Technical Backpack added recently, which functions similarly to the Moosehide Satchel without taking up an Accessory slot and the carry bonus stacks with the Satchel, although that requires hiking all the way out through Timberwolf Mountain, to Ash Canyon, and reaching the absolute top corner of the map to get ahold of it. I'd suggest trying to get the Well Fed status if you can, might help with your weight carrying woes. Takes a while, but it's worth the trouble.

12. Could be neat. Might be some sort of super high maintenance thing, or maybe having the scope equipped makes aiming the rifle a dangerous task as your field of view becomes limited, as easy as it is to take out deer with.

Binoculars! Seriously that would be a very fun item to have. Even the rifle scope (which I think should be fairly inaccurate and only useful for surveys) would be very cool. They'd further incentivize getting a good vantage point and help you better take advantage of clear days. I also think there should be a tangible 'highlight on the map' feature with these tools but I understand if they made it purely visual. 

Slingshots would be fun (simple stick and cured gut) and could do some? damage to wolves or actually kill rabbits (good for post-exhaustion)

Ice axe - I haven't heard of this one before. I think it would be integrated seamlessly although during a climb that means you only shimmy up with one hand on the rope and your dominant hand ice picks into the wall? I like the idea that there is a tool for breaking ice although that means I have literally nothing to do with the prybars.

The rest seem cool but I feel like already exist in the game to some degree. Things like Bear spray just aren't my cup of tea. Speaking of which I would SO much rather see new veg and the introduction of a thermos to store high quantities of tea than hunting tools. That's just my play preference though. 

When you say slingshot, if you are referring to the type used with some elastic material and can be used for a time until it’s condition is gone, okay.  If we are talking about crafting that same thing with catgut, not so much.  It’s not elastic.  If we are talking about crafting an old world “shepherd” sling (David and Goliath style), okay.  I make them with my kids out of 550 cord.  They are a lot of fun and more then capable of killing rabbit.  They were carried by shepherds to ward off predators so it’s not crazy to think it could be done in game.

A compass would be nice but like was already said there is a reason they don’t work in game.  However a realistic model of the sun, moon, and stars could cover much of this.  I know that we have sun, moon, and stars movement now but it doesn’t observe reality.

Edited by Derek0311
Additional thoughts
  • Like 1

Thanks for the response y’all, didn’t expect them to be so quick. 

My suggestions are not really intended to make the game easier so much as give players options. Some items just make sense considering the games setting. I know when I go camping thru backcountry I don’t necessarily pick the same tools as my friends. 

Why is there no jump button? There are run and crouch. 

Why are there only a few animals?  Beaver, fox, coyotes, otters, lynx, mountain lions, seals, big horn, salmon, geese, elk, caribou and mountain goats are also very prevalent in Canada 

I realized this morning that a spade or small shovel could be a great addition as well. For instance it would allow players to make more trap options (small spike pit to lure wolves). But the player would have to already have a knife or axe to make the spikes and meat to bait it.  It could also be used as an additional pry tool, breaking small branches or for digging a shelter.  

Additional traps would be nice: trip snares, dead falls, pits, foot grabs. Perhaps if the player finds and reads a trap book more trapping options could be available. 

In terms of the sling shot, I was thinking a found would could be modern but a crafted would be old school. Perfect for hunting rabbits, but much like throwing the rocks it would take getting use to the aim/accuracy/range. And perhaps helpful in fending off wolves but not killing them. 

In terms of the spear I understand that a sharp stick shouldn’t be  easily able to kill a bear but absolutely a charging wolf if perhaps timed correctly (so not to make it too easy).  They can be one time use and only made of cured birch or maple. People had been spear hunting for millennia prior to the gun. Heck tribes today still hunt that way. 

I did not think of the obstacle for the compass (duh). 

Ice axe could be used for a lot of applications (climbing, harvesting, defense). Just makes sense in a survival game set in the Canadian snowy mountains. Same with snow shoes, skies and poles. They do not  have to make the game easier necessarily just would help traveling at a faster rate or would slow down energy/food consumption. For anyone who’s gone snowshoeing or cross country skiing, they know it keeps you warm as well. 

Rifle scope could be applied in a few different ways. I was thinking it would have to be found separately and put onto and taken off the rifle using a work bench and simple tools.  When using it the players field of vision would change from wide to narrow (which adds additional challenges) and would really only be useful for longer range shots on deer, bear, and moose. I know I wouldn’t waste those shots on wolves (unless dire) 

Folding saw would just be an optional tool of choice, perhaps lighter than a hatchet. Could additionally be used for quartering a kill but not skinning or gutting.  

And the hammer just weighs way to much in my opinion. A small one handed sledgehammer (which I use on construction sites every week) only weighs 2 to 4 lbs (1 to 2 kgs). A 20oz framing hammer (about 1.5lbs) does nearly as good as a small sledge and can be used to shape forge heated metal.

Overall I just think it would be nice to have additional tools so players have options.  Not everyone would like to go into the wilderness with the exact same tools, yes some are but not all.  Having a good machete for instance can take the place of a hatchet and hunting knife.  Having a ice axe and folding saw could be used in lieu of a hatchet and hunting knife.  I’m suggesting options, so we’re not all bound to play in the same style. And simple range weapons (spear, slingshot, bow) are somethings ppl have been using and making since biblical times.

I too would love to see additional vegetation and even some that are poisonous. 

• Like 1

No jump because, well, this:  Why you can't jump

Animals: It's an isolated island. The only ones I would recommend adding are sea life, particularly winter varieties.

Spade or shovel would be useful in building and maintaining shelters, but it's needless in the game since it's not required to construct a snow shelter.

More traps mean easier play. You're going to need to work for your food, not have it come to you. You're not a homesteader, you're a survivor, and you don't have the skills to be a trapper. Astrid is a doctor, Will is a day-drinking pilot.

I have always been a proponent of a sling-shot.

Spears MAY be released. The devs have said it could be a possibility.

Ice-Axe would just be too OP. You're talking more about a survival axe. I think the Crampons are OP already for ice-climbing, but we're looking at an island that had been deserted BEFORE the entire Aurora happened. I think it's important to think about that.

.303 do not need scopes in this game for hunting wildlife since you're so very close before they run, and they are very accurate rifles. There is a limited distance of effective hits, and if you hone your skills, you'd never need one.

I like the idea of a folding saw, but I don't see it's application since we already have a hacksaw that can be repaired.

A smaller hammer is just your hands. You can already break down things without a hammer, or just use a hatchet, which is quite similar to a small hammer on the blunt end.  The heavy hammer weighs so much because you are not "melting" the scrap metal, you just are just making it malleable. I am pretty sure that striking force is required. Also, it kills wolves on the spot quite nicely when you least expect it.

Vegetation:  What poisonous plants survive the winter that you know of that would still be available for harvest? I don't personally know, and I live in a very close to Arctic region.  The closest we get are some berries that the birds usually take care of, since they're immune.

This is not criticism of your ideas, rather than shared ideas and I want to share my take on your ideas. I am not denouncing yours, just stating the reasons I would rather not have them in the game that I enjoy so thoroughly.

Please have a great day and year!

Edited by wilsonaka

There are few animals because the dev team is small and making new animals takes time.

All of the weights in the game are much higher than they should be, minus water. This includes carry weight though. Just imagine all weights are in pounds, not kg, I guess? (I know that's a terrible answer, but that's all we have)

And yes spears and bear spray would be obvious additions.

However, the game is not about intentionally going backpacking, it's about having crashed unexpectedly in a plane and then having to "make do" with whatever you find around the world in order to survive... and survive in a landscape where, before you crashed, the inhabitants vacated the area taking as many of their own belongings with them as they themselves could pack and carry.  What you find is what those inhabitants left behind.  I think they would have definitely used their own elite backpacking gear when they left the area, so the absence of such choice items, in a way, is what adds realism for me.

• Like 1

Spear - It would be the very first thought for anyone caught in a real survival situation, being unarmed and when hearing a howl on surroundings (except for firearms ofc). Does it makes the wolf struggles somehow easier or negated? Then, make the wolves work as a team to gang up the player. That should be the expected wolves behavior, after all.

Snow shoes - i think it's not neccessary, since there is not a slowing effect, or the player getting really stuck by heavy thick snow. As is it now, the player walks directly on the snow's surface, maybe as a hardened snow (idk if it exists).

Sling shot - a step above using stones with bare hands. I like it. Furthermore, we should be able to craft arrows without metal arrowheads, to hunt rabbits.

Our character minmaxed too much. We can mill out rifle parts to repair one that is at 1% condition, regenerate to peak condition from the brink of death in a single day, and survive on 500 calories a day indefinitely. But we can't tie a knife to a stick or step over a twig. That's actually a pretty good build, when you look at it.

On 1/11/2021 at 12:52 AM, odizzido said:

There are few animals because the dev team is small and making new animals takes time.

All of the weights in the game are much higher than they should be, minus water. This includes carry weight though. Just imagine all weights are in pounds, not kg, I guess? (I know that's a terrible answer, but that's all we have)

And yes spears and bear spray would be obvious additions.

I disagree with your assessment about weights in the game.  In Canada, I buy 100g chocolate bars all the time and the weight in game is 0.10kg.  My tin of beans contains 398mL of food, which means it must weight something over 0.398g.  A can of beans in game weight 0.25kg.  The calories are what seem to be off to me.  The label on that can of beans says it contains 170 cal/125mL serving.  That means there are about 400 calories in the can, but TLD gives us 600 cal in a tin of beans.

The weight of the rifle is fairly accurate.

The weights of clothing can vary greatly, but my ski jackets actually weighs about the same as the weight given in the game (1 kg).

The hatchet weighs more than my little one, but there are hatchets advertized online that weigh even more than the 1.5 kg stated in the game.  I believe it's a fairly accurate weight to the sort of hatchet my father had kicking around the house for many years.

On average, I would say more of the weights in game are understated than those that are overstated.

Again, the equipment we find in game is not the top of the line camping gear available today... It's what the inhabitants left behind... old, heavy, nearly broken... not worth taking with them when they left.

Edited by UpUpAway95

I've given this post time to breath... I'm going to weigh in on it now.

I've written many post about each one of these items several times in the past, I urge folks to use the search function because there has been a lot of really good discussion about all of these things in many many previous threads.

I will very briefly summarize what I've written about each of the proposed items (or similar items) in the past:
I'm not in favor of any of these suggestions.  (the reasons why are thoroughly explained in those aforementioned previous threads/posts).

:coffee::fire::coffee:

**Note for all those who apparently can't tolerate other people's opinions...
I'm not going to argue with people about it.  I am stating my opinion because I have a right to.  I don't care if folks don't like my opinion, I am still expressing it.  If certain people don't care for my opinion, feel free to ignore it... because I'm not going to be drawn into more of those people's hostilities; only for them to then try and blame me for their poor conduct in the face of a differing opinion.  :)

On 1/11/2021 at 2:10 AM, wilsonaka said:

Vegetation:  What poisonous plants survive the winter that you know of that would still be available for harvest? I don't personally know, and I live in a very close to Arctic region.  The closest we get are some berries that the birds usually take care of, since they're immune.

On 1/10/2021 at 11:54 PM, Cranky said:

I would love to see additional vegetation and even some that are poisonous. 

There are a bunch of mushrooms species to draw from. The problem is most are only around in late summer and fall but there's no reason that they can't include some rare species. For a lot of mushrooms, being poisonous depends on the soil so the devs could really play fast and loose with the details. I think poison mushrooms would be very cool. Stuff em inside fish and suddenly decoys kill predators. or make tea that could just have a higher chance of making you sick. Either way it should be a rare find. Possibly illuminate during the aurora?

Other veg- This is more likely to be included: Pine nuts or pine needles. Pine trees are very edible and make a great tea. There doesn't even need to be any medicinal benefits, just another sapling that provides a few green nibs and possibly bark. I don't think they need to add too much to be honest. I'd like to see long term food harvesting with maple syrup but thats only a dream.

One thing that I specifically do with harvested plants is make little collages on the work benches. With that in mind any plants with deeper orange, red, green, violet, tones would be very well received by me. 

Edited by philthechamp

Posts removed.

We're trying to encourage people to share their views without overwhelming or drowning out the views of others. Not everyone will get it right each time, so please be patient with each other. If someone doesn't give as much details as you'd like and you're interested in their view politely ask them to expand on it. 

Thank you.

Derek,

I like the idea of a zippo for a couple of reasons. Matches and lamp oil can’t be combined, so often times my inventory has 6 to 10 different match boxes/books with anywhere from 1 to 20 matches in each of them (which I find annoying). I have the same issue with the lamp oil, especially when I’m doing a lot of ice fishing. I don’t understand why this is since water can be combined. 

Yes the fuel could/would evaporate but not significantly enough compared to the amount of fires that need be lit. Since the game already has refueling with the lamp, it just makes sense to me to add a refuelable lighter using the same fuel as the lamp. Repair costs could be similar to the lamp as well. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Cranky said:

Derek,

I like the idea of a zippo for a couple of reasons. Matches and lamp oil can’t be combined, so often times my inventory has 6 to 10 different match boxes/books with anywhere from 1 to 20 matches in each of them (which I find annoying). I have the same issue with the lamp oil, especially when I’m doing a lot of ice fishing. I don’t understand why this is since water can be combined. 

Yes the fuel could/would evaporate but not significantly enough compared to the amount of fires that need be lit. Since the game already has refueling with the lamp, it just makes sense to me to add a refuelable lighter using the same fuel as the lamp. Repair costs could be similar to the lamp as well. 

I honestly don't see the point of adding a lighter and a separate fuel for those lighters when the firestriker does the exact same job and is already in the game.

Boxes of matches do combine when they are at the exact same condition.  I have 60 wooden matches in a single slot in my inventory as we speak.  To trigger the same condition ones to combine, you may have to transfer them all into a container and then back into your inventory.  This also applies to tins of coffee and packages of herbal tea.  Normally they are 5 to tin or box, but if you have tins or boxes at the same condition, they will combine when transferred into a container and out again.

The game has an intermittent bug that shows up from time to time for unknown reasons, where items that should combine just don't. 

For instance, one brings more cured hides to their materials storage locker and find that 99% (or whatever) condition hides do not combine with existing 99% (or whatever) condition hides already in the locker.  Pulling them out of the locker into inventory does not solve the problem.  It is necessary to take all those hides go to a DIFFERENT container and put them into it then they combine as they should have.  The now combined stack can be taken back to the previous container and they will form one stack in it.  

There is another irritating, intermittent bug regarding ammunition.   Occasionally, thankfully pretty rare, the game will decide that the ammunition being moved around is being moved as loose cartridges rather than the more customary box (even if only one round).  The loose cartridges then transfer as loose cartridges from storage to inventory and back again.  Once that happens, the game seems stuck.  So far the only solution that I use would be to unload the relevant firearm which produces a "box" of cartridges (at least so far) and then I can add the loose cartridges to the "box" of cartridges.  I can then split the "box" between inventory (to reload the firearm) and storage.  Problem solved, for now.   I have not tried (didn't dare) to just drop the cartridges on the floor/snow to see if that causes them to appear as a box of cartridges.  

One other thing.  Pain killers, antibiotics, water purification tablets, coffee and probably herbal tea (and maybe some other stuff) when they reach 0% condition can be picked up and if there is non-0% condition examples of these items in inventory, they will combine with them and thereby take on the condition of the item they combined with.   So if a tin of coffee has gone to 0% condition and one still has a tin of coffee of >0%, say 50% condition, the 0% tin will combine with the 50% one and *voila* one will have a tin of 50% coffee of their combined totals.  I have not tried to see if having several non-0% examples of the 0% item which one it would then combine with.  I suspect it would be the lower OR perhaps whichever one the game has first in inventory (which would be getting into the intricacies of how the inventory system actually works) so I would put down all but the highest condition example so then I get a combine total of the highest condition stuff. 

1 hour ago, UTC-10 said:

The game has an intermittent bug that shows up from time to time for unknown reasons, where items that should combine just don't. 

For instance, one brings more cured hides to their materials storage locker and find that 99% (or whatever) condition hides do not combine with existing 99% (or whatever) condition hides already in the locker.  Pulling them out of the locker into inventory does not solve the problem.  It is necessary to take all those hides go to a DIFFERENT container and put them into it then they combine as they should have.  The now combined stack can be taken back to the previous container and they will form one stack in it.  

There is another irritating, intermittent bug regarding ammunition.   Occasionally, thankfully pretty rare, the game will decide that the ammunition being moved around is being moved as loose cartridges rather than the more customary box (even if only one round).  The loose cartridges then transfer as loose cartridges from storage to inventory and back again.  Once that happens, the game seems stuck.  So far the only solution that I use would be to unload the relevant firearm which produces a "box" of cartridges (at least so far) and then I can add the loose cartridges to the "box" of cartridges.  I can then split the "box" between inventory (to reload the firearm) and storage.  Problem solved, for now.   I have not tried (didn't dare) to just drop the cartridges on the floor/snow to see if that causes them to appear as a box of cartridges.  

One other thing.  Pain killers, antibiotics, water purification tablets, coffee and probably herbal tea (and maybe some other stuff) when they reach 0% condition can be picked up and if there is non-0% condition examples of these items in inventory, they will combine with them and thereby take on the condition of the item they combined with.   So if a tin of coffee has gone to 0% condition and one still has a tin of coffee of >0%, say 50% condition, the 0% tin will combine with the 50% one and *voila* one will have a tin of 50% coffee of their combined totals.  I have not tried to see if having several non-0% examples of the 0% item which one it would then combine with.  I suspect it would be the lower OR perhaps whichever one the game has first in inventory (which would be getting into the intricacies of how the inventory system actually works) so I would put down all but the highest condition example so then I get a combine total of the highest condition stuff. 

Great tips.  I've never tried the different container trick when items of the same condition won't combine.  I've been assuming that they just aren't at exactly the same condition and just leaving it at that.

I've tried dropping the group of single cartridges on the floor... to no avail.  What does seem to work is to transfer them into a container that has a box of cartridges in it.  Then take all into your inventory.  Then put all back into the container, and then take what you want (more than 6) back out of the container.  This often causes a box to appear in your inventory instead of the single cartridges.

I never tried the 0% condition thing with coffee and such... I will definitely remember it now though!

3 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I honestly don't see the point of adding a lighter and a separate fuel for those lighters when the firestriker does the exact same job and is already in the game.

Boxes of matches do combine when they are at the exact same condition.  I have 60 wooden matches in a single slot in my inventory as we speak.  To trigger the same condition ones to combine, you may have to transfer them all into a container and then back into your inventory.  This also applies to tins of coffee and packages of herbal tea.  Normally they are 5 to tin or box, but if you have tins or boxes at the same condition, they will combine when transferred into a container and out again.

I’ve not been able to combine any of the mentioned items (aside from bullets) regardless of condition or switching containers.  I seem to be a bit alone in that 😕. But thank y’all for letting me know it can be done, I now have a new personal mission lol. The amount of clutter (coffee tins, matches, tea, oil) gets excessive and annoying.  I’ll find a jerry can mostly empty, cook a boat load of fish and end up with multiple lamp fuel containers that I can’t combine.... frustrating. 

To clarify I was suggesting that a refillable lighter use the same fuel as the lamp. I’ve only ever come across 1 striker in about 200 days to survival. 

On a side note, are there candles in the game?

Candles have bee requested and so far has not been implemented.  Once, not so long ago, I think about the time of Crossroads Elergy (episode 3), Hinterland had asked how candles would add to the game experience (or something like that)?  If they were going to do the work to implement, they wanted a better reason to justify the effort than "we want candles". 

I do not oppose lighters, but one that can be fueled like lanterns would likely be thought of by the devs as too open-ended.  100% fire strikers are limited to about 50 uses and are basically the equivalent of matches (mostly) - there is a limited supply or usability and once used up that's it.  A basically forever lighter fueled by lamp oil (itself a stretch as a replacement for kerosene fuel) would affect the game balance in ways the devs likely do not favor at this time.  However nothing prohibits them from deciding to include one.  I did not expect to see ammunition reloading implemented the way it was (or at all) but there it is. 

10 hours ago, Cranky said:

I’ve not been able to combine any of the mentioned items (aside from bullets) regardless of condition or switching containers.  I seem to be a bit alone in that 😕. But thank y’all for letting me know it can be done, I now have a new personal mission lol. The amount of clutter (coffee tins, matches, tea, oil) gets excessive and annoying.  I’ll find a jerry can mostly empty, cook a boat load of fish and end up with multiple lamp fuel containers that I can’t combine.... frustrating. 

To clarify I was suggesting that a refillable lighter use the same fuel as the lamp. I’ve only ever come across 1 striker in about 200 days to survival. 

On a side note, are there candles in the game?

I feel your pain on the little bottles of lamp fuel issue... They do not  combine into the larger jerry can.  I tend to refuel the storm lantern , grab just one of the little flasks, which is 0.50 when full, and leave the rest at my base for that zone.  Getting items to combine more easily has been requested here a number of times, and Raph has explained that the percentage condition is the issue... and he personally likes that everything in the world decays in some way... either with use or over time..

You'll probably notice the other items combining when you loot the summit of TWM (if not on Interloper) since there are usually multiples of those items in the same percentage condition there.

When items are added to the game, the game is generally re-balanced and spawns of items that do the same sort of job are removed.  So, if lighters are added then probably it's very likely that firestrikers will become rarer than they already are since they would share the same number of spawn points overall with each other.  When the revolver was introduced, for example, and people were complaining about being unable to find one, Raph outright told us that to fix that issue they increased revolver spawns at the expense of some of the rifle spawns (So, now fewer rifles are found in the world generally than used to be the case).

Another thing about firestrikers is that they can be exceptionally well hidden and hard to spot when looting.  If you're not playing on Interloper or not playing on a Custom game where you've set Baseline Resource Availability to "low," I'm sure you'll find that firestrikers are more common a spawn in the world than you think.

Candles are an oft requested item as well.  People want to a long-lasting fuel to read by at night... which would make the game easier.  If Hinterland does ever add it, I'm willing to bet it would be at the expense of storm lantern spawns and they'd be something like "candle stubs" that would burn about the same amount of time per kg as storm lanterns do currently.  I doubt they are about to make the game easier on any difficulty mode.  As it is, a fully fueled storm lantern will burn for 4 hours of in-game time, so reading using the storm lantern is entirely possible when in zones where you can fish to get a good source of fuel.

Edited by UpUpAway95

I personally think that all items decaying is overkill.  It creates the problem in the first place.  Obviously, food, clothing, and wear items have to.  But matches...I still have a box of matches that are a couple of years old.  I think the solution is to take condition away from some items and have less spawn in game.  I can see the point that everything will break down eventually but if that process is over a great amount of time then it serves no real purpose and creates a problem.

Edited by Derek0311
Edit