Interloper: Start with Flare

Ragwort

1 hour ago, Looper said:

While I agree with not being forced surely you would agree the standard mechanics (hunger thirst cold etc. and conditions) are promoting the sense of survival while driving the players to find playstyles. To find a more easy experience one can just chose a custom game and switch them off. Some form of mental health or even a condition like scurvy could make certain items more valuable and thus encourage new play styles. 

Our survivor has basic needs for shelter and food, just like a real person.

Beyond that, survival mode doesn't provide any mechanisms to force the survivor in a particular direction, choose particular goals, or even survive at all. That's my point ... it's up to the player to choose those for the survivor. Even within the standard difficulties, you are free to choose an easier course or a more challenging course for your survivor. It's up to you. I don't see how adding external drivers encourages new play styles; they're just additional meters to be filled.

16 minutes ago, Dr. S. said:

I don't see how adding external drivers encourages new play styles; they're just additional meters to be filled.

I think we see the game differently - which is fine OFC. But by your argument: Why have longer animal spawn times, cooling world, cabin fever-condition or even skills and buffs? Because these give sense of achivement key to any game. I think most players enjoy the first 30 days of the game the most. Thats where you strive and where you use your brain to survive. 

I'll never be a fan of self-made "goals" other than challenges (like DMC)