Scared of wolves?

Skuopbahdwoop

any veteran players have advice for how to deal with wolves? I’m completely terrified of them and want to avoid them at all costs, but I need to kill them in order to get the coat. I can hunt bears or moose no problem; but when I try to hit a wolf I just freeze and I keep missing, even at point blank. But I’ve seen people who can just calmly see a wolf and fire off a shot and insta-kill them. Does anyone have any advice for getting over wolf fear and getting some pelts better? Much appreciated, thank you :)) 

My only advice to hunt them is to climb a fallen tree or cliff face where they can't get you. If you can crouch it really helps as well. Use a stone to make them come within range and shoot them when they start to slowly walk away. You need to get them close enough to get a clean shot. 

Make a custom game based on stalker. Remove the wildlife struggle damage (none and low) at the buttom.  Long daytime / no weather. Call it a trainer.

Now practice these excercises:

• Walk the dog. Enter the wolf prawl range look at it and then walk bakcwards. The wolf will follow you but not attack. Notice how you can bring it aroud.
  • Walk the dogs (II). Do the same but try to walk the wolf near other wolves. Notice that only one can prawl you / attack you. 
  • Firedance: Make a fire near wolves. Have some rocks on you. Move closer to start one prawling then return to the fire and watch it stop outside the firecircle. Aim with af stone.
  • Struggles. Get different weapons and go into fights. To get a fealing of it. 
  • Shooting them: Get your favorite weapon and practice kills. They cannot damage you, so you can try.

This should help you be more familiar with our furry friends🙂

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

I am by no means a veteran at this game but I suggest LonelyWolf (a great TLD youtuber)'s tutorial on how to avoid wolves. When I was suffering from wolfy-phobia, it helped me out a great deal (Though many of his tips have probably already been stated by the veteran players, it's worth checking LonelyWolf out, in my opinion)

If you are sneaking, and a wolf is nearby and you want it to bugger off, try this handy trick.  
Equip a stone, aim it high and long in the direction you want the wolf to travel, and toss it hard. The wolf will abandon its previous activity to chase off after the stone.

As for dealing with wolves, try sneak killing them.  Sneak closer and aim and shoot.  If you’re level 5 Archery this is a deadly tactic.  I took out a pack of four wolves this morning in about 30 seconds with the bow.  I had a piece of meat on me to lure them in, and just shot them one by one as they arrived into range.  

I kite them close with the bow and try to get a headshot in. They will charge after you click to aim a shot, the trick is to get them in the head just BEFORE the struggle happens. Most of the time, I'll get a shot in and if it doesn't kill, the wolf dies during the struggle. It succeeds most of the time and I find it's more efficient than the gun. Enjoy your mountains of wolf pelts!

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of good tips thus far. I really like that custom game trainer idea. My only addition would be to use deer or rabbits as bait. When I don’t have many revolver bullets or my arch skill is only 1, I scare rabbits and deer toward wolves. Once the wolf has the bait I kill the wolf then have 2 animals to harvest. 

Also not sure if you know but once you make a wolf bleed it will eventually bleed out and the carcass can usually be found relatively near the struggle spot. Do not get set on one shot one kill, especially in the beginning of each new run. 

Edited by Cranky

• 1 month later...
On 1/7/2021 at 9:21 PM, Skuopbahdwoop said:

any veteran players have advice for how to deal with wolves? I’m completely terrified of them and want to avoid them at all costs, but I need to kill them in order to get the coat. I can hunt bears or moose no problem; but when I try to hit a wolf I just freeze and I keep missing, even at point blank. But I’ve seen people who can just calmly see a wolf and fire off a shot and insta-kill them. Does anyone have any advice for getting over wolf fear and getting some pelts better? Much appreciated, thank you :)) 

Works 100% of the time as long as you don't let the wolf get close enough to start the animation.