What are some things you want to see in a new region?

theisaactrain

With the upcoming episode 4 of Wintermute, I think it is likely a new region will not be added to the game, due to Ash Canyon just being added about a month go. So, that means we will probably see a new region late this year. 

With the theme of new game additions for each region, (Rope climbing with TW, ammo crafting with BI, rope bridges with AC, and a forge with DP, etc). 

What do you guys think the next region will bring us? What could it look like? I'd like to hear your guys thoughts. 

Edited by theisaactrain
  • Upvote 1

I would love to explore a coastal region with a proper harbour and adjacent town. I mean, we have regions like Hushed River Valley, Timberwolf Mountain, and Ash Canyon, where there are little to no man-made structures, and I think it's time for a change. I don't know if Great Bear Island is supposed to be scarcely populated, but if you count how many regular houses you encounter in the game (therefore excluding industrial buildings, churches, stores, garages, etc.), you would probably think that fewer than 50 families used to live there. 

It's not that I want a new area with a lot of houses just because I want an 'easy' region with lots of loot opportunities. The developers could make half of them inaccessible and that would be fine. It's that I think that such an area would make sense in the general geography of the island. And it would be a welcome change after several almost-uninhabited regions.

Edited by Morrick
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Morrick said:

coastal region

With Coastal Highway, Desolation Point, and Bleak Inlet, I think there are enough regions on the coast right now. Something that I think would be very interesting is a region that has a more urban feel. 

Put it like this, I think Great Bear has one small, or decent sized city. This could be Perseverance Mills, or some other place. While I'm not saying skyscrapers, I'd really like to see some bigger two story buildings. The issue is, that really changes the feel of the game, and my fear is that it would be hard to incorporate the survival, and wildlife aspects of the game into a city like area. 

For me, I want a region similar to Mystery Lake, with a few differences.

A flat, heavily forested area with sections of clear cuts from unfortunate loggers, this region is set above the Northeast part of Pleasant Valley. While the region is dominated by it's forest, if you look hard enough you'll find secrets. (a few bunkers, and a hidden hunters shack, with two new items,) Some kind of upgraded hunting knife, that lasts longer, and cuts meat faster than the regular hunting knife, and then a sled, which you can use to carry items around the game world with no extra weight added to your pack, (you cannot spring, or climb ropes while you are using it,) Along with these things there would be logging roads, a broken down logging truck, a logging camp, and a few sheds, and outbuildings. 

That's just one of many idea I have, I know that it doesn't make the most sense, and in all will never happen, but I think it would be cool.

I'd like to see a region that incorporate together some game mechanics that were presented in other regions separatedly: rope bridges, passages blocked by harvestable bushes, rope and/or ivy climbing, thin ice mazes, underground water (flooded floor and waterfall crossing), and so on.

the way is it now, u can see clearly that they were implemented in different moments of game development. Could be interesting seeing some of them working together, and it's synergy effects.

Example: after a fail to attempt to cross a piece of thin ice safely, u have to build a fire and heat up, but is a flat and windy area, and u must find a shelter on a cave surrounded by those thorny bushes. more time outside freezing, more challenging. following, u have to cross an underground waterfall (freezing again) or alternatively rope climb a stalactite. and so on. I know, it is a pretty stupid example, but i'm not so creative now ^^

About the environmental concept, anything could fit. i trust on the dev team.

46 minutes ago, theisaactrain said:

With Coastal Highway, Desolation Point, and Bleak Inlet, I think there are enough regions on the coast right now. Something that I think would be very interesting is a region that has a more urban feel. 

I actually think that there aren't enough coastal regions if we consider that the game world is supposed to be an island. In a recent sandbox, I started in Hushed River Valley, then went to Mountain Town, then to Forlorn Muskeg, then to Broken Railroad, then back to Muskeg, then to Mystery Lake, and am now in Pleasant Valley. I swear I haven't avoided the coastal regions on purpose, but it felt strange to cover all that land without even seeing the ocean… ^_^

As for the rest, I too would like to see a more urban setting (as I wrote in my post). I agree, the wildlife aspect could be an issue, but maybe this could be an area with more wolf encounters, or where the weather has become more challenging, or with more hazardous spots during auroras (given the urban setting).

• Like 1

I guess I would like a large region with a lumber saw mill in the middle of  it. So that would have a bee hive burner a dry kiln , planer mill. There would be a couple offices / lunch room  and then nearby some trailers where the workers live. This would be a similar to the logging camp area on Mystery Lake. There would be a rail way track near it with some rail cars etc. A few pieces of equipment forklifts etc. Log piles and stacked lumber. I guess a more flat  forested region. Maybe the forest is populated with timber wolves. Maybe a high region with a fire tower in a small meadow with bunnies hopping around and nearby trailer for the warden. A small marsh area with a moose spawn /cat tails. Could be located on the other side of Broken Railroad. 

I'd really like to see some sea cliffs, with caves at the bottom or maybe even half-way up the side! The caves could contain smugglers' gear of some kind. On the top one could have some flat, wooded and/or marsh lands with natural resources and wildlife. On the bottom maybe a few shacks, cabins or fishing huts with resources being scarce (except for beachcombing) but predators largely absent. Of course there would be long rope climbs up the cliffs. Sites of coastal erosion (landslides and cliff collapses) could provide obstacles.

This could fit in with the harbour town mentioned by Morrick (have a town in a bay with cliffs on either side, for instance).

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I want a town with cougars lurking among and inside the houses, ready to attack and rip your face off!

I want a prison with cells you have to unlock during an aurora to access the sweet loot, but which also frees zombie prisoners to ravage your survivor!  

I want a new weapon in game: the long knife.  This could be the ultimate struggle weapon and even engage bears in mortal combat.  That’s right!  When Yogi snuggles up to you, you can give him a little love poke.  

Also I want a few new Eskimo type clothing items added, as that would add both phat lewt and survivor flavor to the game. 

With only two episodes left, I'd want to see a region that includes a port facility and airport.  The port might be primarily for barge traffic and maybe small to medium-sized ferries and the airport limited to a one runway facility. It is probably asking too much because it would be an involved region.  It would be the source of fuel and containerized cargo.  It would be the natural focal point for residents fleeing the quiet apocalypse. 

I do think that episode 4 (and 5) is going to need some kind of new region.

I've always liked the idea of a bear living In a transition cave which would need to be taken care of for safe passage through.

Same idea as the old dam wolf(Fluffy)

I would also like to see more effort put in to new transition zones.

I feel as time goes on Hinterland tend to go with the easy option of just slap a cave system somewhere.

However back when the first few regions where added. They really spent time making sensible and well thought out transition zones.(the ravine , winding river,crumbling highway)

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sierra 117 said:

I would also like to see more effort put in to new transition zones.

I feel as time goes on Hinterland tend to go with the easy option of just slap a cave system somewhere.

However back when the first few regions where added. They really spent time making sensible and well thought out transition zones.(the ravine , winding river,crumbling highway)

I generally agree with this. To be fair, there's a recent transition where you don't pass through a cave, and that is the 'upper entry' to Bleak Inlet from the Ravine. But your point stands. I like those three transition zones because they're cool mini-regions that sometimes feel like an opportunity to pause and rest. More than once finding refuge in the basement of the abandoned Harris home in Crumbling Highway has meant saving my survivor from certain hypothermia.

On 05.01.2021 at 00:04, Sherlock Holmes 18 said:

Simdi, ona şeye karar verirsek. 

Oyunda merak edilen 2 alan var. Ve bunlardan biri kesinlikle hikayeye dahil. 

Persevering Mill Will'in uçağının iniş takımlarına göre. Bölgede büyük bir veya bir marina falan olmalı göl. Boz annenin hikâyede söylediklerini hatırladığım kadarıyla Oz, ana sebat değirmeninden şu şekilde bahsediyordu; 

Oduncular ve .......... yaşadığı bölge. Bir oduncu varsa, kesilecek bir odun vardır. O zaman bu göl çok büyük ya da değil. Hem adadaki benzin istasyonları de iniş pisti için mantıklı bir benzin kaynağı olan bu marina, en mantıklı olan şık bir marina. 

İkinciye gelince. Bir hapishane ve hapishaneler şehirden (yerleşimden) uzakta (sanırım). Bu iki farklı uçlarda olması durum buydu. Eminim hapishanenin bir kapısı patlayacak ve içeride timberwolf olacak. Ve hatta o kadar terk edilmiş ki, büyük bir ayı ona dönüş yapıyor. Pekala, tüm göze rağmen, orada bir şeyler olmalı. Ancak bunlar tahminlerdir.

Umarım bu alanları bir önce eklerler. Kül kanyonundaki bu alanları sabırla bekleyeceğim. 

That's the article. There may be some low meaning and irrational sentences, but the words in the sentence are correct, and I recommend that you line them up logically. 

We have not yet seen the place called "Perseverance Mills".  For one, I'd to see the place where there are actual hU-mans!   The living kind!  What kind of a change of pace would it be if instead of everything being open for us to help ourselves to and 100t at will, there were already a community of survivors who'd be willing to trade us tools and supplies for say; food, hides, raw materials etc.

I'd also like a town with a small airport, river running through it (hence the name 'mills') and lots of ice fishing.

We also know there has to be at least one shortwave tower and at least one person to receive the 'wintermute' message.

Stay tuned, fellow survivors and remember: if it moves, shoot it!

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Luca Loquax said:

We have not yet seen the place called "Perseverance Mills".  For one, I'd to see the place where there are actual hU-mans!   The living kind!  What kind of a change of pace would it be if instead of everything being open for us to help ourselves to and 100t at will, there were already a community of survivors who'd be willing to trade us tools and supplies for say; food, hides, raw materials etc.

I'd also like a town with a small airport, river running through it (hence the name 'mills') and lots of ice fishing.

We also know there has to be at least one shortwave tower and at least one person to receive the 'wintermute' message.

Stay tuned, fellow survivors and remember: if it moves, shoot it!

I love that about if it moves, shoot it. Literally me in every run I have haha.

I second the suggestions for a large forest area. Somewhere with minimal man made shelters and few caves (maybe none of either)  that gives an proper 'into the woods' vibe. This would make navigation and shelter the main challenge but with plenty of wood and Knolls, fallen trees etc for sheltered fires. Poor sightlines would favour having few predators. I like the suggestions for a few clearings or shallow ponds, maybe some streams. Just a simple wild area. Hushed river is great but it's so busy, with so many hazards, it always feels quite stressful - why would a survivor risk hanging around there!

I think it would work well linking the hunting lodge end of broken railroad to the monolith lake end of hushed river. Those areas feel a bit too out of the way at the moment. 

• Upvote 1

I like the ideas of more transition zones, I kind of like the idea of following the railroad, but with little to no movement off of it, and a bear being in your path. 

Perhaps some of the scenery could be the ocean cliffs to one side and vertical cliffs on the other.

You could climb the cliffs at either locations as part of your exploration, perhaps bring-your-own rope in order to go around the bear. Or climb up to smallish plateaus, perhaps tying into other regions or locations of interest.  

• Upvote 2

I like quite a few of these ideas, such as the bear-in-cave idea  and the forest/woodland idea. 

Somewhere that I'd quite like is a maybe medium sized mostly woodland map that has maybe one or two caves, with resident bears of course, but otherwise appearing desolate and empty. Wildlife could be perhaps pretty common, with a decent amount of deer, maybe several 'packs' or two to three wolves around key areas and bears inhabiting most, if not all, of the caves. Since it's a wood/forest, I would expect it to have a fair bit of wildlife. Not loads, but enough to keep you on your toes.

Weather-wise, on a scale of 'always clear skies' to 'Pleasant Valley', I'd state it perhaps around the middle, maybe leaning towards the worse end of the spectrum with dense fog perhaps as the most common form of bad weather. (Since we have BI with the wind and PV with the blizzards, I thought that a foggy place could be pretty nice, hindering travel and all)

I like @Stone's idea for fallen trees and such so that you could make fires. That could make the place a tad more forgiving, giving you more places to light fires during the worse weather.

For structures, I was thinking a hunters lodge near the centre, surrounded by a small clearing, maybe near a rabbit grove. But aside from that, the place would be hopefully devoid of much else to make a base in.

I would imagine that it would be somewhere around HRV/TWM, due to them being arguably the wilder regions. 

To sum it up, I would hope for a decent sized, foggy woods with very few shelters and a fair amount of wildlife around the HRV or TWM region. 

Edited by Catlover
  • Upvote 1