Where can I live in an ash canyon?

Sherlock Holmes 18

I know more or less the ash canyon, but I don't know where the best hunting and living point is. 

The last time I was leaving the area, I walked into a fishing shed and realized there was a house leaving with a rope on the cross. At least I'm thinking of staying there the first time I go. If there are better and more convenient topics and you say so, you will make me happy. 

I would choose Anglers den. There is indoor location. Deers are behind corner (wolfs as well). There can be moose or two. The problem is, there is almost no animals on upper levels. Except of course one bear. The secluded house could be safe house. But you would hae to accept it is accessible only by rope.

Angler's Den to start with

Once you've explored the upper reaches you can live for a while at Miner's Folly / Foreman's Retreat. Once you've dealt with the bear it's predator free. The bear will feed you for a long time. There are also a some deer - up to 4 even on Interloper. But rabbits are far away, so snaring is a bit of an issue. It may not be perfectly sustainable, but it's really quite a nice area. Has an outdoor workbench with a fire barrel. Perfect for turning all the birch saplings into arrows while cooking lots of water.

To live at Homesteader's Respite (the house above the fishing hut) you first need to go there once from above and place a rope down to the lake. Some people think the rope is an issue, but it's a very short climb. Just make sure you aren't completely exhausted. And if you are Angler's Den is not too far away

Edited by Serenity
  • Like 1

Yeah, I'm liking Foreman's Retreat as my high alpine lair when I'm in Ash Canyon, that and the Angler's Den down in the basin.
Utilizing the additional carrying capacity of the technical backpack, moose satchel and well fed benefit, I typically loop between the two locations
loading up with firewood, coal and sticks to keep the fires going up on the mountain.   You gotta love the two burner stove and the fireplace for cooking up all that 
meat that shows up there. 🐻  

btw, both locations have a workbench for your crafting projects. 

• Like 1

@Sherlock Holmes 18

I used Angler's Den as my first encampment.  I hunted the nearby deer.  I also took out a wolf, so I could haul fish from Bitter Marsh back to Angler's Den.  This set the stage for me move deeper into the region.

I found that Stone Shelf Cave was a nice spot for another encampment (there was a moose and deer nearby).

I found Climber's Cave a nice spot (there were at least three groups of rabbits I'd spotted between the front of that cave and in the area around Pillar's Footrest).  Also there was no trouble hauling raw hide/gut through that area to stash in Climber's Cave.  Also, it appears to be a safe trek from there to cave system that leads back to Timberwolf Mountain.

I found a cave across the bridge from High Meadow (deer and rabbits in the nearby area).

Once one gets a rope in place (and doesn't mind climbing)... a player might also take advantage of Homesteader's Respite in conjunction with the ice fishing at Bitter Marsh.

:coffee::fire::coffee:
So far these are the specific spots I've found to be advantageous places to set up camp (though if a player was willing to work a little more at it, it's conceivable one could live at even the more remote locations as well).

I'm still working on finishing up my exploration of the region (I just have the upper right corner of the map left to explore)... so perhaps I'll find a couple more spots.

Edited by ManicManiac

Cabin fever is a problem at Angler’s Den. 
At Foreman’s retreat, the nearby “two-way cave” is warm and protected from winds. I do all my cooking there (more efficient with firewood.
With a bear roll, you don’t even need a fire when sleeping of cabin fever  

-t

On 1/4/2021 at 8:17 AM, Serenity said:

To live at Homesteader's Respite (the house above the fishing hut) you first need to go there once from above and place a rope down to the lake.

Not true.

Do some exploring. :)

Edited by wilky
  • Like 1

On 1/4/2021 at 8:17 AM, Serenity said:

Once you've explored the upper reaches you can live for a while at Miner's Folly / Foreman's Retreat. Once you've dealt with the bear it's predator free. The bear will feed you for a long time. There are also a some deer - up to 4 even on Interloper. But rabbits are far away, so snaring is a bit of an issue. It may not be perfectly sustainable, but it's really quite a nice area. Has an outdoor workbench with a fire barrel. Perfect for turning all the birch saplings into arrows while cooking lots of water.

To live at Homesteader's Respite (the house above the fishing hut) you first need to go there once from above and place a rope down to the lake. Some people think the rope is an issue, but it's a very short climb. Just make sure you aren't completely exhausted. And if you are Angler's Den is not too far away

Same here. Been living there for the last 20 or so in game days.  Pretty comfortable. Spent a bunch of time at the Foreman's place as well.  Both are good.

On 1/4/2021 at 5:17 AM, Serenity said:

Not exactly.  You can Goat up to Homesteaders cabin from the left, go up the ravine as far as possible and then walk along the wall to the right.  Not even hard.  
once up there you can lower the rope. 

Hey, I know how to throw that rope over there, but you have to go upstairs first to throw it away, right? But I seem to have lost hope in Ash Canyon. Because that damn bear took everything from me, and it was because I couldn't shoot him with a helping gun. There's not a lot of hunting on the rope, so I'm looking for other places, so maybe I can live in the mine. 

On 1/14/2021 at 9:14 PM, Sherlock Holmes 18 said:

Hey, I know how to throw that rope over there, but you have to go upstairs first to throw it away, right? But I seem to have lost hope in Ash Canyon. Because that damn bear took everything from me, and it was because I couldn't shoot him with a helping gun. There's not a lot of hunting on the rope, so I'm looking for other places, so maybe I can live in the mine. 

We tried to give you the way up, me in a not revealing way, someone else in a very precise way... 

If I'm not mistaken, you missed those messages. 

It's "easy" to reach that cabin from the fishing hut. 

Good luck!