Where da moose at?

BeetRecca

I was lucky with the American deer. But there's got to be one in the creek under the bridge on the way to Carter in the mysterious lake. Or the bridge of the hunter's hut on the cut railway and somewhere around it. But you can look it up online. 

As for bullets, I usually find basements and farmhouses or farmhouses. So good luck finding american deer

I found mine in coastal highway, there is just one place he can spawn there (coastal townsite) just set up base at the gas station there and have pacience, he will appear might take some time but he will, you will have to kill a couple of bears while you wait since there is a cave pretty close, just explore the zone and have fun while you wait, just caught mine today 

IMG-20210105-WA0002.jpeg

• Like 1

TWM - there's usually one just down the slope when you enter from PV but before the little rabbits. Also, there can be one near the container by the bear cave  and the wing? Both areas have trees you can climb and shoot from.

Mystery Lake, right outside the damn where the cattails are. Also, at the little cabin right after you pass the stream.

Broken railroad - near the hunting cabin by the frozen pond.

Muskeg - at the top of the ridge near the Mountain Town entrance. Also, sometimes near the cave where you come from Bleak Inlet

Mountain Town - near a frozen lake by the entrance to HRV. Also, where the cattails are at the bottom of the map as you head to the Muskeg. Fallen tree there you can shoot from.

Desolation Point -  had one bounce me at the bridge near the lighthouse. Only saw him there in one game of many though

Pleasant Valley - near the fishing hut.

HRV - at the big lake at the top of the map

Happy Hunting

• Upvote 2

Only the transition zones like Crumbling Highway and Ravine and Winding River don’t have moose. Every other zone has moose spawns, and usually multiple spawn locations at that.  Even Milton has two spawn locations: one at the lake by the trailer and one down in the basin by the river mouth to the lake there.  Desolation Point only has one spawn point at the bridge and Broken Railroad has one at the Hunters Hilton.  Forlorn Muskeg even has two, one near the cave to Bleak Inlet and the other up on the ridge in the NW part of the zone.  
Moose spawns tend to wink in and out though, but if you see scrape marks on the trees, you’re in the right spot.  If the moose isn’t around today, he very well might be tomorrow so check back then.  

• 2 weeks later...

i left coast hwy I did all those and mapped and got tired of hunting the moose im at 175 this run. I keep running into bears I had two extra bear hides with me when i started heading to pvalley. My biggest goals is mapping everything i have 4 regions down and still hunting that moose im gonna go back to coast  hwy cause i havnt found a bear yet and i want a couple extra bear hides for fixing items. I need two more wolfs I have been baiting area's and not having much luck. It still early in pvalley though lol 

Based on my experience: some possible spawning locations might be active for the actual save, others are not.
If there are scrape marks on the trees near a spawning location, the save might have a moose (might not appear every day! but it is worth it to check back every here and then). if there are no scrape marks, there will not be a moose in that location in that particular save.
(Similarly to bear caves having or not having bones in them indicating whether the location is active in that save or not.)
anyone correct me, if I'm wrong.

As for best locations: Timberwolf Mountain on the way to the lakehouse: you can shoot it from a tree or top of the small hill (jump if it charges); trapper's house in mystery lake: you might try shooting it from the barn, petrol station at coastal highway (jump into cars if charges), near the dam in mystery lake: from the bridge, etc. Many places have a safe/half-safe location to shoot it from. You may also choose not to hide when it charges, but try to shoot it in the head - as that is the best chance of killing it (while risking the broken ribs)
The last valley in hushed river valley i would not particularly recommend (despite the inviting name of "moose overlook"), unless you definitely brought enough pain killers and bandages. (I've lost a save of 400+ days there not being able to climb out....) Even then, you would need to carry the hide+meat up the rope - probably not the most efficient place.

In general I'm not waiting for the moose to appear - even if there are scrape marks. Just making sure I have a rifle nearby, in case it does when i happen to pass by, and take my chance. Already shot 4 in my latest save: 2 in TWM and 2 in Ash Canyon (under the rope/cave in the smaller burnt valley).

Edited by AdamvR
typo + addition on tactic

47 minutes ago, AdamvR said:

Similarly to bear caves having or not having bones in them indicating whether the location is active in that save or not.)
anyone correct me, if I'm wrong.

Oh? I was camping put in one cave not too long ago and saw dinosaur bones! I thought it was neat and went to sleep! You mean those were human bones and I might have been woken up by 'cave service' with ole smokey tapping at me?!

This morning I was playing in Bleak Inlet before work, exploring the frozen delta area and visiting the hunting blinds.  I spotted a moose near the back of that cove and shot it until it died.  I butchered the carcass and then made a snow shelter to rest through the night with my fat meat/hide loot.  

in the morning, there was another moose nearby.  No scrapings to be seen.  I let him scamper as I had enough meat for now.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bean said:

in the morning, there was another moose nearby.  No scrapings to be seen.

that's doubly interesting, I don't think I ever saw these guys in a place when their markers weren't there (bear or moose).
It's definitely not on every tree though, only a few within an area.

also, having it respawn right the day after - pretty cool

• Like 1

On 1/26/2021 at 1:13 AM, Stinky socks said:

Oh? I was camping put in one cave not too long ago and saw dinosaur bones! I thought it was neat and went to sleep! You mean those were human bones and I might have been woken up by 'cave service' with ole smokey tapping at me?!

yep, unlike in real life, having bones scattered around one's bed, it is not a life insurance to camp near them in TLD
😉

7 hours ago, tabashe said:

i put down my controller to get a drink n my dog's hit my controller n threw me off cliff's 200 + days arghh

That must raise some mixed feelings for sure... Sorry for you, hope you better luck next time, also with the moose...

Talking of which, on more important aspect came to my mind:
If you are going for the "charge me if I don't shoot you in the head first" tactic, areas with cars, or at least fishing huts around are better locations for hunting it.
On the contrary to what the fandom says, healing the broken ribs does not only need spending 120 hours (or more if you are unlucky...) in-game, but 120 hours in BED (or carseat/bedroll). Sleep and passing time also count, but lurking around, collecting firewood, fishing, looting does not. It is a very long time idling with reduced carrying capacity and inability to climb. with cabin fever a risk, it is better to spend much of that "rest" outdoors, safe. (so cars or fishing hut, maybe caves)
for this reason some areas are generally better: Mystery Lake (all locations), Broken Railroad (up the hill, as there are less wolves there during your recovery), Forlorn Muskeg Marsh Ridge (you can rest in open cave wolf-free), Ash-canyon, hushed river monolith lake
Meh... areas with more dangers during your recovery: Desolation point bridge, Quonset, Broken Railroad (near fence to the hill), unpleasant valley

Some suggested using fires to avoid the stomping. Might work, but I cannot confirm that it always does (also not against wolves, I just got into a struggle with 3 fires burning in front, left and right of me cooking the catch from the fishing hut behind... - the doggie managed to jump in between two of the fires...)

Avoiding the stomping... ok I just tested this trick with my last kill I described in the above post, so I know it still works.  
A gunshot will startle a charging moose into breaking off the attack. I shot it the first time and it charged.  Due to terrain it got quite close before I had another shot at it, and I think I missed!  But the shot scared the moose off and it ran away.  I followed and shot it some more until it died.

flare gun shots also work to scare or even kill a moose if placed correctly. 

• Upvote 1

I've also noticed lately that it broke the charge sometimes after shots, but was not sure if I just got lucky with it or maybe it is a changed mechanic.
Good to know you also experienced it.
I'm pretty sure it did (does?) not always break the charge after firing shots.
There were some changes to wolf AI around the time of adding Bleak Inlet (not only the Timberwolves, but also the regulars, it was much easier to trick/kill them before). maybe there was an update to moose behavior as well i missed?