addiction

Usfarle

Smoking and drinking ( alcohol) 

It would be cool to have cigarette spawning in world, just like alcohol ( different types but it don't mather) 

In high difficulty level, you will start you re run with a certain lvl of addiction ( for me it would be cool to have a lvl 5 addiction to both in stalker and a lvl 10 of addiction in interloper for each.

Addiction will give you malus, and more malus when you don't have enough cigarette or alcohol to provide you're dependence. It would be a disease just like a sprain or hemoragie, but it could be fixable over time. Thei're will be 2 way of stopping addiction : slowly, each week you decrease you're comsumption of cigarette or alcohol to came at 0. Its a way to minimize the malus over time. Or you can stop from 5 to 0, in a week of a lot of malus (like pain, fatigue, dehydration... ) you won't be addict anymore. 

I dont know a lot of things about tobacco and alcohol addiction soo if you have things to say, its bellow ^^

Cigarrette and alcohol could be find around the world like normal item in the game. 

But in lower difficulty and when you're not addict anymore, conssuming cigarette or alcohol can give you bonuses ! 

For example, when you're not addict at all, vodka or whisky can give you health, used as painkiller or antiseptic, give you a bit of calories.... But it will still dehydrate you and tired you.

Tell me below if its a good idea for you and if it will fit in the game, for me it will add more early difficulties and more late game opportunities.

I was also thinking about coffee addiction, but i never drinked coffee in th game or in real life soo i can't have ideas about what coffee addiction could be.  

I really though about this idea as a challenge, maybe in story mode mackenzie coold be alcoolic and astrid tobacco addict, it could make a real change in the choice of character that you make in survival mode ( like if alcolic was easier than tobacco, i don't know just saying that ) 

I'd be OK if it were completely optional and not associated with difficulty level in any way.  In story mode - Will is an alcoholic (it's stated as such right at the beginning of the story by Astrid).  I'm assuming the long duration away from sources of alcohol ultimately allows him to break free from his addiction... but we won't really know what relevance it has, if any, until Hinterland completes the story.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Derek0311 said:

I just want to smoke a pipe while waiting for my venison to cook.  Maybe it could relax you and help you sleep...

I really don't think there should be any buff or debuff associated with it.  People who opt to use them should just "imagine" in their own heads what effect it has.

3 minutes ago, Derek0311 said:

@UpUpAway95  don’t want to encourage smoking or drinking...fine, I guess, piss in my corn flakes.  😏 Kidding, but I do take your point.

I'm all about options... different strokes for different folks.  Not trying to piss in anyone's cornflakes, but would also appreciate anyone else not force feeding them to me. 😉

25 minutes ago, Derek0311 said:

@UpUpAway95 Nope, you’re right; I’m just going for the joke.  No buffs.  You can’t have a game that has a benefit for smoking or drinking.  It’s dicey.

The Fallout franchise does give a buff for drinking, along with a corresponding debuff, and there are a number of games that seem to promote it already.  I like that TLD is different.

I am being neutral here though.  Instead, I could've suggested that after smoking for a period of time in game, Will/Astrid develop emphysema and progressively suffer from decreasing stamina until they can barely take a few steps without fainting... but I'm not suggesting that either.

15 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I really don't think there should be any buff or debuff associated with it.  People who opt to use them should just "imagine" in their own heads what effect it has.

i don't like games were the player have to imagine the game, imagination is a part of the game, but the game have to push you to imagine things, for example in rdr2, smoking and drinking come with buff and debuff, and fill a "sanity" bar just like it is in green hell

On the developers MAY journal entry they talk about possibly making the game MODable. So people can add things and make it better. It's been requested to them alot over the years. The only challenge they face is UNITY as it wasn't built to have an open platform MOD. 

If it becomes available then we will see some interesting things added to the game.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Usfarle said:

i don't like games were the player have to imagine the game, imagination is a part of the game, but the game have to push you to imagine things, for example in rdr2, smoking and drinking come with buff and debuff, and fill a "sanity" bar just like it is in green hell

The thing is... If addictions are added to the game in the manner proposed (not optional and no option to toggle the feature off and starting with a level of addiction based on difficulty level), players who want to play without them are hooped into "imagining" their character doesn't have them.  The reliance on vice-related buffs/debuffs in games is way overdone, IMO.

Edited by UpUpAway95

39 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

The thing is... If addictions are added to the game in the manner proposed (not optional and no option to toggle the feature off and starting with a level of addiction based on difficulty level), players who want to play without them are hooped into "imagining" their character doesn't have them.  The reliance on vice-related buffs/debuffs in games is way overdone, IMO.

why would someoen want to imagine something which is in the game ? 

Just play the game with the addiction like it is in the game and when you re not addicted anymore, play like you want

If it really bother you, play in a low diffuculty lvl 

I don"t understand what you mean

4 hours ago, Usfarle said:

why would someoen want to imagine something which is in the game ? 

Just play the game with the addiction like it is in the game and when you re not addicted anymore, play like you want

If it really bother you, play in a low diffuculty lvl 

I don"t understand what you mean

Tit for tat...  It's the same as right now addictions are not in the game.  If you want to "imagine" your character is addicted to painkillers, you can eat the entire bottle of painkillers every time you find one.  Play it how you want.  HInterland shouldn't have to change things just to accommodate your wants for a specific addiction.

Don't "force" my player to have an addiction just because I'm starting him at a particular difficulty level.  Don't "force' me to play at a lower difficulty level just because I don't want my character to start the game with an addiction.  Pretend addictions should have nothing to do with difficulty.   If they go with this, they should then definitely make is so the player has to instantly consume whatever meds they find and "tough" it out if they get an injury.  They should also be compelled to find meds every few hours or become incapacitated with symptoms of withdrawal... if that means dying... that's the way the addict's life crumbles.

Tobacco addiction?  Well, I've already suggested then - emphysema.  Alcoholism - Well, that can start by throwing up all that wonderfully fatty meat we kill as the liver draws ever closer to complete failure.

IMO, the buff/debuff thing is overdone in other games.  I like that TLD is different.

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Upvote 1