ski and sled

Usfarle

My ideas are in title, wouldn't it be cool, realistic and lore friendly to have a way to carry you're ski up to a mountain, do what you have to do there and then slip the descent ?

Same as for the sled, it would be a way to carry very large amount of stuff ( maybe up to a deer or wolves carcass), wood, metal etc from a certain place with a big ammount of stuff like a mine, hydrodam or a forest, up to you're home. The sled would slow you down a big and tires you a lot but will allow the player to pull the sled from his home to the location and then with all his precious things, from the location to his home. The player could also be able to leave the sled somewhere, and then go up a cliff to collect valuables, and go down to his sled, and continues his trip. Its also a safe way to carry multiple stuff, for a role playing inuit lifestyle. Live a nomadic lifestyle, carry you're home behing you would be, for me a very good addition to the game. 

Its also really realistic, see Mike Horn, a famous explorator, carry his sled with his ski everywhere he goes. 

mike-horn-bataille-contre-les-%C3%A9l%C3

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, mfuegemann said:

A sled would be the answer to the carrying weight problem without making the backpack too big/heavy. It should be a container and to make things not too easy, let us craft the sled from precious resources - maybe 4 maple saplings, a moose hide and mountaineer rope or so.

I was thinking about an unique item, found in someplace very dangerous, and which would need repair with precious material like you said. It would add more challenge and won't be something you can rush to make

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, UTC-10 said:

There is nothing wrong with skis and sleds.  The issue is that implementing them is much more complex from the game point of view than from the player point of view.  

i don't understand, why would it be difficult to put another unique item in the game just like they did with the technical backback or crampon? 

Crampons do not materially affect the movement of the character.  It reduces the climbing and descending cost on a rope, a very specific situation, and provides presumably better traction on weak ice which can translate into probably a few more seconds before one falls through.  The technical backpack merely adds, at no cost, to the weight capacity of the player.  Other than maybe some adjustments, there is nothing that can be done with crampons that would not be covered by existing game mechanics.

Now for skis and sleds, the intent behind them tends to be enhanced movement and enhanced carry capacity.  At the least, various things that affect movement would have to be considered and the consequences of them.  A small discontinuity, like a small pile of snow or a railroad track or a 4 x 6 misaligned can stop the player in his tracks. Making the huge assumption that the devs allow for skiing, what happens when the player skis over such an obstacle? Into a tree? Into a rock face? Or onto rocks?  Sleds have a similar consideration except they also imply an increased carrying capacity (typically why they get suggested).  How will dragging a loaded sled affect the character? How will that stupid mound of snow that would stop the character affect the movement of the sled? 

I have often noted that the actual devices - skis and sleds - would be the easy part of the implementation.  How they interact with the character and the environment is the tough part.  The devs could gloss over any or all of these considerations as that is their prerogative but I don't think they would. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, UTC-10 said:

Crampons do not materially affect the movement of the character.  It reduces the climbing and descending cost on a rope, a very specific situation, and provides presumably better traction on weak ice which can translate into probably a few more seconds before one falls through.  The technical backpack merely adds, at no cost, to the weight capacity of the player.  Other than maybe some adjustments, there is nothing that can be done with crampons that would not be covered by existing game mechanics.

Now for skis and sleds, the intent behind them tends to be enhanced movement and enhanced carry capacity.  At the least, various things that affect movement would have to be considered and the consequences of them.  A small discontinuity, like a small pile of snow or a railroad track or a 4 x 6 misaligned can stop the player in his tracks. Making the huge assumption that the devs allow for skiing, what happens when the player skis over such an obstacle? Into a tree? Into a rock face? Or onto rocks?  Sleds have a similar consideration except they also imply an increased carrying capacity (typically why they get suggested).  How will dragging a loaded sled affect the character? How will that stupid mound of snow that would stop the character affect the movement of the sled? 

I have often noted that the actual devices - skis and sleds - would be the easy part of the implementation.  How they interact with the character and the environment is the tough part.  The devs could gloss over any or all of these considerations as that is their prerogative but I don't think they would. 

I don't know anything about coding, developping a game or how tld is made. But I have in my head all what the sledd could be and how they will interact with environement. But I know it would be a tough addition. However, having the less interaction possible, like just allowing the player to take his sled on roads, or on ice, or on flat area, could be a possibility. It would be a way to balanced it, like it wont be able to go on certain game's region. Combining with the ski, it should be possible just to carry them just on specific area, like when you go on difficult landscape, you will fall of, and drop you're ski. Same as the sled, on difficult ground, you will get a sprain risk and a risk of damaging the sled. For me sled should work just as in the forest.

227px-12LogsOnSledFarket.png?version=e01LogSledFarket.png

Of course it would be a different skin, and would be tow and not pushed like in the forest, but the mechanics are the same, just the environement is different. th?id=OIP.NGmsTsHKrVYUgH-_HpNMiwHaCQ&pidFor me the sled should look to something like that ( but without dogs ^^ ) Also it could be a lore-friendly way to explain why do you find a sled, it would be in a sled dog husbandry, you find dozens of dogs carcass, and a damaged sled, that you need to repair to then tow it down to you're home.

When you will encounter a tree, nothing would happen because the sled wont touch the tree, only you can because you re in front of the sled. But if you let him free to go down a dangerous slope, it will get very damaged, and bounce of a bit when it willl encounter a tree or rock (damage depending on type of block). When falling to a snow pile, it will get in the snow, and you will need like 10 minutes ( with a logging screen like when you light a fire) to get the sled out of the snow pile. 

At the end, because you re in front of the sled, it won't be that much interaction with envrionnement. But wildlife could destroy the sledd if you put any food in it. 

• Upvote 3

I like ideas like this.  I’d like to see equipment like this applied to hands and feet.  It will be challenge to balance.  So, do rifles and hatchets need to be equipped like skis for example? I’m not offering any solutions right now, just things to consider.  My point is you can’t ditch skis quickly as compared to a pry bar.  One you can just drop, the other you can’t.  Sleds are normally used with a waist belt, the hands are using ski poles.  To be attacked by a wolf with all that gear attached to you would suck.  I like that too.  I think that everything you do should have a risk/reward component.  Sleds and skis offer fast travel and heavier loads.  If everything goes well the rewards are great.  But if attacked while you are slowly traveling uphill with all that gear, nice try.  Time to start a new run.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 2

• 7 months later...

Hello All!

The idea of the SUBJ, probably, came to mind to everyone who played the game (especially in the survival mode) more than a few days.

Dreams:

• why does a WINTER survival game doesn't have skis/sleds? If one can easily find ski-boots - where the heck are all those skis the boots were attached to?
  • why none of the locals had any kind of skis/sleds? in the "winter" lands? no skis/sleds?!.
  • why, at the very least, one cannot MAKE skis/sleds - we've got all (and much more) tools and materials as hand to do that!
  • as many mentioned above, it may (or maybe even has to) come with some obvious balances as everything has its pro et contra, so do the sleds/skis

Reality:

• and yes, it could've made a big impact - or a huge improvement maybe? - on the game's mechanics, and, probably/most-likely, it would require a big/huge effort, maybe even a new version of the game engine. And that could be a show-stopper for this.

Nevertheless - the sleds/skis - remains a number 1 in my wish-list of the game improvements, even after 500+ days inside the Long Dark :) 

Thanks!

• Upvote 1

A sled would be really cool, I think you probably wouldn't be able to sprint with a sled very well, and you would need guts or rope to attach it to yourself, but sleds are something you see around in-game and it would be so cool to have a use for them!!

• 2 weeks later...

I had this exact same idea, except the way I saw it a lift could bring you up during an aurora and you would have to continuously return to the top in order to explore different areas.

the entire region could be one big ski mountain with a bomb ass lodge at the bottom!

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/9/2021 at 11:48 PM, rodnoy said:

The idea of the SUBJ, probably, came to mind to everyone who played the game (especially in the survival mode) more than a few days.

No. I've been playing for about 700 hours, I've never had a thought : "And here would be a ski ..." or " And here would be a sled..

Moreover, I have seen 1, maximum 2 places where you can use downhill skiing. And it is these shoes that we find.

But I've seen hockey sticks. And where are the skates? It would be great to ride them. (a joke.)

In any case, developers are following the path of their internal roadmap. And our desires do not always have a response in the souls of our masters. I am against such innovations, I don't want to see my favorite game turn into a casual one.

On 12/27/2020 at 4:35 PM, UTC-10 said:

There is nothing wrong with skis and sleds.  The issue is that implementing them is much more complex from the game point of view than from the player point of view.  

Yes but we are not here to discuss from the devs point of view, that will be their part to judge if they want to implement it, just stick with do you want a sled, yes? no? and why ?

Personally i love this idea i just finished reading mike horn's book on his night trip to the north pole (the one you see on the picture) and i just love the idea of the sled wich i wouldn't have if i havent read the book. In real life a sled is so much more trouble thank it seems, mike horn's sled weigh 200kg wich is about 450 pounds... It is way better to have a backpack for mobility than a sled if you can. Of course in the long dark it would have to be tweaked to be hard but advantageous, i dont know why though.

5 hours ago, Stinky socks said:

I think more useful would be a running car to ferry stuff around in certain regions. Gaving a sled means someone will have to pull it. Are we going to domesticate deer now?😁

Why not? Moreover, there is a discussion thread about this.)))