Ash Canyon - Plateau above Climber's Cave

Sceh

On 2/6/2021 at 12:29 AM, Schrodingers Box said:

there is no way to get up there and whoever said they “glitched” to it is lying and I promise you they have no evidence of it whatsoever. 

Wrong. Here's my screenshot from when I glitched my way up there:

GEHyT37.jpg

It's a rather large plateau, shame they didn't make a legit way up. There were 2 wolves, as well. Some people report that there's a chance of a container spawning up there, too, right above Climber's Cave, and that it's a Polaroid spawn, to boot.

Anyway, yes, it's possible, but only via glitch. (I used the cairn placement glitch)

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Kranium, you state cairn placement glitch. Do you mean you are utilizing rock cache placement or am I unaware of something else? Curious to get up this plateau as it is the only place my 2nd polaroid could be.  I've climbed up the rope to the runaway bridge area and see the multiple wolfs up above, but its shear cliff.  Could you clarify how you glitched up the cliff? Or if others have found another way, please enlighten me. Thanks! 

On 2/8/2021 at 11:56 AM, Kranium said:

Wrong. Here's my screenshot from when I glitched my way up there:

Anyway, yes, it's possible, but only via glitch. (I used the cairn placement glitch)

okay, I am curious now... 
I've heard of many glitches over the years and love to "exploit" them mercilessly when able, but I've never heard of this "Cairn Placement Glitch" that you speak of.
Please enlighten me on the nature of this glitch and how I may begin to take advantage in my own gameplay?  

I look at "glitches" as legitimate gameplay...  otherwise the devs wouldn't leave it in place, right?

On 2/6/2021 at 1:37 PM, Schrodingers Box said:

luck has nothing to do with your interloper start

Yep.  My longest IL game (235 days) started naked in a canyon in Hushed River Valley.   I climbed out of there frozen and tired and hungry, but I made it to Milton and that sweet little trailer for a nap.  

From my experience, HRV is the absolute worst place to start in IL.  Even TWM is far better, far more survivable.  I don’t know if Ash Canyon is on the IL start list now, but I think that would also be easier if you know the zone.  

I got way better at Loper starts after finally completing “As the Dead Sleep.”  

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of days ago I returned to an old Voyager game that I started when TLD was v1.37.  The game had a new virgin Ash Canyon.  I had a quick tour around the usual places then returned to have another go at the plateau above Climbers Cave.  In all other AC games I found a rope, to the right of the Climbers Cave which got me half way up to the plateau.  This time it wasn't there.

1541703988_screen_(-46127-120)_59798f4a-9f8f-4ff7-8971-209c7553f172.thumb.png.5e4e7f4daea00aab02d43e3ee3300e98.png

I am fairly sure this is where it was.  When I did a charcoal sketch map the rope was shown.

Has anyone else experienced this?

1 hour ago, ProsPex said:

I had to go back and confirm. The rope is not deployed by default. You must first deploy it.

How do you get up there to deploy the rope, if there is no rope there to climb up?

Perhaps it's possible to climb up that bit without a rope, although I have never needed to do that as there has always been a rope there.  I'll give it a try when I'm next in that area.

Edited by peteloud

What you are sating is starting to sound familiar.  I have just come down from the Foreman's Retreat, through the mine and am now at the Angler's Den. I shall investigate further in the morning.

What has surprised me about this trip, I've just done two circuits, around AC is that it is noticeably different from earlier trips around.  I have seen the bear at the Foreman's Retreat only once.  Previously it was as regular as clockwork every 13-14 days after being killed.  I didn't find the Bearskin Jacket in the usual place and haven't seen the moose.  All of this could just be the random effect, but it makes me wonder if there have been a few changes since AC was initially released.

1 hour ago, peteloud said:

I have seen the bear at the Foreman's Retreat only once.  Previously it was as regular as clockwork every 13-14 days after being killed...  All of this could just be the random effect, but it makes me wonder if there have been a few changes since AC was initially released.

I'm thinking random effect... for me, the bear is always hanging around Miner's Folly / Foreman's Retreat... if not, I see it

sleeping in its cave NNW of the two locations

If you enter through Deer Clearing cave, you can walk over a log and go right of the Climber's Cave and choose to plop down the hole into it or continue to the lake and turn around and there it is. What's glitchy about it? There's no billygoating required to go back the same way and go to the exit, and if you need to get higher than the lake, at the end of the lake past the deer carcass there's a rope.

I think this is a post from looking at Wiki maps too much and not exploring. It's very easy to get above Climber's Cave - in all directions. 👍

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Gun Tech. said:

. . .  It's very easy to get above Climber's Cave - in all directions. 👍

I am familiar with the route to the Climbers Cave that you mention.  I have been along that route many times.

Have you actually been on the plateau above the Climbers Cave? Have you managed to clear the black patch covering the plateau from your charcoal map?

2141536590_ClimbersCaveMap.png.a8fc18d284bf2ad4c8c5fedb31e161e8.png

11 hours ago, peteloud said:

How do you get up there to deploy the rope, if there is no rope there to climb up?

Perhaps it's possible to climb up that bit without a rope, although I have never needed to do that as there has always been a rope there.  I'll give it a try when I'm next in that area.

I was walking around the AC many times on different difficulty levels. The rope there always had to be deployed by myself.
There is always a deployed rope on the other side of the runaway bridge.

After over-nighting at Anglers Den I intended to pick up one of the three redundant ropes I have lying around AC and deploy it from the lower level of that plateau above Climbers Cave.  Then I decided that all the ropes were too far away so I changed my plan and climbed up a fixed rope to the Massif with Runaway Bridge, plotted the lower level of the Climbers Cave Massif then returned the long way around back to Anglers Den.  It was long journey and a hard day by Voyager standards.  I was attacked by a wolf almost as soon as I started which left me in poor condition for a couple of rope climbs and a busy day.  I made it back to Anglers, just.  I shall pick up one of the ropes when I pass that way and deploy it later.  Here is my current map.  It is not much different from my map from an earlier game.

637897708_screen_(121)_2ecf00de-81f5-43f6-80f0-63dfb7198ffc.thumb.png.ff49e11aedc287d7ab99e34aa352ba31.png

Edited by peteloud

Logically it would have made sense to put another rope climb to the plateau here... the area is rather large. If you exploit the glitches, it's a beautiful area up there with breathtaking views of nearly the entire region. Maybe it will be added with the next release.

2043867300_screen_(-98179-79)_f9261504-b2ea-4f26-8efa-a388d5ae75fa.thumb.png.8ea8d43d16729fc0e6b933fe5735229b.png

• Upvote 2