Ash Canyon - Plateau above Climber's Cave

Sceh

Has anyone been able to reach the little area above the Climber's Cave? I've been poking around there quite extensively because this map is once again EXCELLENT at hiding whole secret paths and areas behind innocent little snow drifts and around unassuming little corners. I've come across several user made maps of the region (like on the wiki) where this area is revealed to a degree that suggests people have found a way up there. Help?

• Upvote 1

Been trying for the last two days to find a path with no luck. I can hear the wolves above it and in fact at one point I thought one was going to glitch through the cave ceiling because he was growling ferociously.  I have explored every area of the map except that one area above the cave and can’t find a way though I am positive there must be one!

• Upvote 1

I had a map in which the black areas was slightly smaller, then I lost my save.  Fortunately I had a backup from about a week earlier so I didn't have to start completely afresh.   However I couldn't be bothered to put so much effort into the map second time around.

352541528_ClimbersCave.JPG.3baf2790b6e545cff345a08aa1e60cf9.JPG

I tried so hard to get up there! Every which way you can think of, but to no avail. Doesn't feel right, that you can't. I've even seen a wolf up there, growling at me while right above my head - I couldn't get any further up & it couldn't get down. Aaaaahh!

• 4 weeks later...

The Polaroid spawned for me near the gold mine in a plastic container. Sent me to the vista by the High Meadow. I tried to get up top there in my Pilgrim run , you can get close but not quite unfortunately so I made no better progress than anyone else.

I am in the process of having another try to get up to the plateau, and failing.

2141536590_ClimbersCaveMap.png.a8fc18d284bf2ad4c8c5fedb31e161e8.png

The posting by dissonance shows that there is a container on the plateau, but he managed to get up with the help of an obscure bug.

That there is a 'Climber's Cave' there seems to be a hint that there is climbing route to the top.  I have been scouting around without finding a route.  Perhaps there is a route up the broken rock face zone between the cave and the rope.

There's a plateau above the pond on the opposite end of the pond from Climbers Cave - but the same side of it.  It's the one you can access via Runway Bridge.  If you start from Angler's and head just left of Broad Falls (past Wolf City) and keep veering left until you get to BirchLand.  Stay on the left side and sort of climb hills up and you'll see a rope.  That rope puts you on a level that you can cross Runway Bridge and be just above the Climbers Cave pond.  There's a rope tie off for down that you can see on the map (the one just above the black area in the charcoal map above). There's another height just above that closer to Climber's Cave, like directly above, but not sure if that's accessible or not.

After climbing the rope, if you don't cross Runway Bridge and veer left just before the bridge there's a log bridge that curls around into a nice little mini-cave with some loot.

Not sure if you already know this and this thread is referring to something different - or it that is indeed what you're looking for.

Edited by dbmurph22

11 hours ago, dbmurph22 said:

Not sure if you already know this and this thread is referring to something different - or it that is indeed what you're looking for.

What I am looking for is a route to the plateau above Climber's Cave.  All I want to do is to remove the black patch from my charcoal map.

To check what you suggest I shall have to got back there and try and follow your suggestion step by step.

Edited by peteloud

I see Pete - yeah the part I discussed is already well known by everyone in the thread, now that I take a longer look.  I wasn't sure.  From that area there's almost a way to get up higher, but despite all my efforts haven't been successful.  Not sure if the part of the mountain directly above/adjacent to the climber's cave is possible to get up on.

You may be able to map from that area after Runaway Bridge or maybe goat across the rock face a bit from it towards climbers cave and do mapping while stuck on the rock wall to clear up that black patch.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I decided to send one of my 1000+ day interloper characters on a likely suicide mission to reach that plateau. after several hours and breaking every bone in his body several times I can safely conclude it is not possible. once thing I did inadvertently find after the mission though was that the developers clearly changed some caves to become warm inside now.

but anyway the closest I came was by heading north from climbers cave to the rope climb and hugging the wall until there is a crevice with a tree that you can squeeze past and reach an area just under the plateau by about 30feet however the climb is inaccessible anymore. three wolves were right at the edge barking and growling at me but there was no track for them to get down to reach me. I could have easily shot them with my bow, they were that close. mapping the area revealed about half the plateau exactly like one of the maps someone posted above but there was no way to get up there. I even risked the character’s life by trying to goat across the rock face even though it was clear there was no way to climb higher. He just ended up falling breaking bones each time and  eventually I had to mountain goat down.

there is no way to get up there and whoever said they “glitched” to it is lying and I promise you they have no evidence of it whatsoever. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Schrodingers Box said:

. . .  is lying and I promise you they have no evidence of it whatsoever. 

Your comment gave me a smile.  I suspect that a great many people give misleading impressions in their postings.  People forget to mention that they used a mod to edit their save file, that their epic achievement was in a Pilgrim game and that their numerous very long runs were neither that numerous nor lengthy.

The best I have come across was a just over a year ago when someone was claiming to have done over fifty 1,000 day runs, (or was it 3,000 days) in Interloper.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I am having another smile.

I do not normally play interloper, I prefer Stalker, but there are too many wolves in Stalker.  The reason I don't play Interloper is that the start of it is very difficult. It is not so much about experience and skill. It is about your luck in the random set up. I tried a few starts and some starts would have been impossible to survive.  That negative random factor annoyed me, so I thought, "Stuff you Interloper!", and stuck to Stalker or even Voyager.  However, there are so many people claiming to be long-term Interlopers that I have been tending towards believing that interloper, with not as many wolves as Stalker, was perhaps not so difficult once you got past the first 25 days . Either that or that there were quite a few people misrepresenting their survival abilities.  So this evening I decided to return to a 14 day Interloper game I started a while back to see what it is like.

The puzzle is, "Will I become an Interloper or an Interliar?".

I back up my saves, so many will accuse me of cheating too.  In fact, I very rarely need that backup. 

Edited by peteloud
  • Upvote 1

Pete, I love the “interliar” comment hahaha.  how many people here say they play “interloper with guns”, or “interloper with stalker loot” or “interloper without cabin fever” Hahahaha!! As soon as they make even one adjustment easier they are playing stalker at best. 

but I can absolutely assure you that when you get good at this game, luck has nothing to do with your interloper start.  It is entirely about experience and skill. I could start in a rich region like HRV or a starved one like DP and While DP is harder I will prevail every time. I encourage you to play more loper and you will see you need less luck each time and eventually even get to a stage that you will even be able to get the well fed bonus from the 3rd day and retain it through the whole sandbox. 
  you are absolutely right that the start is challenging- it definitely is, but experience and skill will always win out over luck because you know exactly how to adapt accordingly.

I also never backup my saves- doing so means you are no longer doing survival because you can’t die. 

Edited by Schrodingers Box

6 hours ago, peteloud said:

I have plenty of experience.  I have survived  over 4,000 game days.

274066876_TLD2021.JPG.91d300d9c96f697dedee9f97f6476647.JPG

I played for 1,300-1,500 hours before I went on to Steam.

How much of that is interloper though? I guarantee you when you have even half that in interloper you will master the game and every interloper start no matter where it is you will set the destiny as you desire.  No luck will be involved.   I would suggest starting in HRV since that’s by far the easiest start since you get all your critical items at once and it even exits to mountain town which is probably second only to ML for easy starts and virtually outfits all your clothing til you can craft. then start in lesser locations to ween off of the healthy start a bit- FM is a really good one or PV. Then you will find you depend less on a “lucky” start and soon you will be able to start anywhere with even the worse weather and still survive. 
   I remember desperately rushing the forge runs because I had to get that bow and arrows within the first 2 weeks. But now- it all depends. Sometimes I do it at 10 days. Sometimes 20- even 30. It just depends how I want to prioritize. 
  you are off to a good start and can definitely do it. 

Edited by Schrodingers Box

What doesn't survive in the early days of Interloper is not luck but lack of knowledge.

Veteran Interloper players know most of the key points, such as spawn points, where to pick up matches, sleeping bags and tools.

They are not random and there are only a few places on a map where players can spawn. Also, every map always has a place to get matches. In addition, there are not many placement patterns for important tools such as hammers, and we can easily find them while patrolling the main locations.

It depends on the person's many playing experiences, or on a shared spoiler worksheet that lists them.

Edited by stmSantana
Mistranslated English
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, stmSantana said:

. . . . , or on a shared spoiler worksheet that lists them.

I avoid such things, or finding out information from fandom.  It's a bit like a school boy getting the maths answers from the back of the text book.

There's not much point in playing a challenging game if you find out how to get around the problems from somewhere like spoiler worksheets, fandom or using a mod to edit your save file to make it a low-challenge game.

There are lots of great TLD players.  I might be driven less by comparison than the average person, but I think it functions even less effectively in a game like the Long Dark.  Sure, there is a sense of competition because the test you are under to survive as long as possible in the sandbox in a game that's fairly difficult.  There's a certain achievement involved, but it's more within.  I don't find what draws people to the game is competition and comparison, so it's not innately that type of experience.  It's just human nature playing its role.

Interloper is difficult.  But with enough care, focus on detail and experience it turns out to be smoothly achievable.  Sure the early game can be fraught, but with enough location knowledge and careful planning you're fine.  Silly mistakes can really be the only things that get you.  Even in Interloper the condition recovery is really strong, plant spawn is healthy, and like Pete said, lower wolf spawn.  But we can't forget that it's really tough if you haven't adapted - I died a lot in Interloper getting up to speed.  Later game Loper is really just about routine and patience.   Doing the extra long 500+ days is not my cup of tea given the time it takes (I have other interests and life demands, too), patience, dedication, and interest in late game play.  I don't enjoy that part of the game.  But I can see the desire for achievement can drive a person.

I skipped right over Stalker, really.  After Voyager I found it very, very difficult because there were wolves everywhere.  So then I went to Interloper and took a beating there.  I like the non-wolf parts of the game better.  When I play Stalker now, it feels like there's a lot of loot and recovery, and I sometimes willingly take woofs on.  It's a weird sensation.  My point is that depending on the time and situation Stalker and Loper can be very, very challenging, or less so.  Both views are valid and it's unnecessary to trumpet one side of it unless you're just sharing your journey.

I'm sure that every person in this thread could become adept at Deadman even with enough attention.  We have the experience and know how.  But people have different motivations for playing.  When someone says "I just don't have fun doing it" I understand completely.

Yeah, the gloating is sad, when done with save file hijinks, mods, or other misrepresentations.  But overall, gloating in a game like TLD is sad regardless. Go play CSGo, LoL or Rocket League. But it's human nature. People have different experiences in TLD and I know a lot of people have an insane skill in this game and for those that don't as much - who cares?  It's not really a thing to think too heavily about.  In fact, it's probably more fun to have imperfections and likely a gift in a situation like this game.

I hope someday we find that plateau.

• Upvote 1