The Geomagnetic Storm

LoneWolf5841

2 hours ago, Syraith said:

@LoneWolf5841

Sorry, my comment was more directed at the comment in the original thread that was merged with this one 😶

The creator was commenting on the fact that a storm like the aurora wouldn’t continue to reoccur as it does in the game. My response was simply as stated. They made it that way so the game worked 😋

Oh sorry my mistake.

20 hours ago, LoneWolf5841 said:

nothing wrong with a bit of fun speculation on the lore of the game and the causes of phenomenon within it

Agreed.

What is the best estimate relating to a timeline between events in Story Mode and our experiences in Survival Mode?

:coffee:

(Bearing in mind, that the whole Aurora/EMP situation I believe is more likely intended to be a semi-realistic background for the game's story, rather than something consequently meant to be implemented..., but playing along with the OP's suggestion to finding the "reality" behind)
I think @LoneWolf5841's suggestion about the event happening during a pole reversal is most realistic, given, that multiple posts I've read puts the coordinates of Great Bear somewhere around Vancouver Island, and not the Arctic. (That is between 49-51 North, pretty far from the Arctic Circle at about 66.5 North)
On this latitude Aurorae are not supposed to be visible, especially not every couple of days. (For Europeans: that is roughly between Paris and Bruxelles, not your usual Holiday destination for the Northern Lights).
Unless of course, we have a pole reversal, that can weaken the magnetic fields elsewhere as well, to cause Aurora.
Having such a "southern" location also explains why we have a "fairly even" day-light cycle, as opposed to very long nights and very long days fluctuating (as what you would see in the Arctic).
The third part of the puzzle I keep wondering about is the eternal winter (and a pretty cold one at that) - how is that coming into the picture?
(even in the tundra, far beyond the boreal forests you can 'easily' sunbathe in the summer months)

Edited by AdamvR
  • Upvote 1

Just now, AdamvR said:

...The third part of the puzzle I keep wondering about is the eternal winter (and a pretty cold one at that) - how is that coming into the picture?
(even in the tundra, far beyond the boreal forests you can 'easily' sunbathe in the summer months)

Yeah obviously the real life answer is that programming a seasonal system isn't easy especially with how the game is set up currently. However purely for fun I tried to speculate why there's an eternal winter once but unfortunately I haven't came up with anything that could possibly explain that part of the puzzle. My best guess currently is an ice age has occurred but the odds of an ice age occurring at the same time as a geomagnetic storm as well as a pole reversal are really low. The odds for a geomagnetic storm to occur alongside a pole reversal is low on their own but it could happen as it has a much higher chance especially considering that a geomagnetic storm could theoretically cause a pole reversal.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, LoneWolf5841 said:

Yeah obviously the real life answer is that programming a seasonal system isn't easy especially with how the game is set up currently.

This of course it just baseless propaganda of the fake-news media...

From an astronomical standpoint, the only reasonable explanation is that Earth must have stopped on its voyage around the Sun. That would explain both the unchanging day-night length, as well as the unchanging season. (Interestingly it did not stop its rotation around its own axis.)
Must have been hell of a CME to stop the Earth moving around. Or ... perhaps someone or something on purpose/by accident pulled the brakes (?).

Stopping the Earth around the Sun must have cost a ginormous amount of energy :
If my math is correct (feel free to check):
- it is about 2.637 x 10^33 J to stop the Earth around the Sun.
(1/2 x m x v^2 = 1/2 x 5.972 x 10^24 kg x (2.972 x 10^4 m/s)^2).
-It is enough to boil all the water on Earth 716966 times. Not quite ice-age inducing...
(1.386 x 10^21 kg water heated by 95 C (3.97 x 10^5 J/Kg = 95 x 4.18 x 10^3 J/Kg) + evaporate it (2.257 x 10^6 J/Kg) = 3.678 x 10^27 J/AllWaterOnEarth)
-If (part) of this energy is transferred to the iron core, it could easily cause some kinetic changes that explain the messed up magnetic field...

Either something is off, there is a problem with my math, or it must have been ALIENS (!!!).
Nobody expected this turn of irrefutable evidence, that this game is about something completely different than what you initially would have thought!
Crab people everywhere...

Edited by AdamvR