Stone Arrowhead (or no arrowhead)

tombomb_1234

Can we please for the love of God get a way other than metal to create arrowheads from the forge????

Flintknapping stone to create arrowheads or grinding bones are infinitely more realistic and common in a survival situation than going to a stupid forge to make them out of metal.

Also, could we get just plain arrows without arrowheads? Just a sharp point. This is also completely reasonable to the real life. 

Metal could deal the most % damage, then Stone/bone, then plain tip (sharp point)

Creating bows and arrows should be an infinite resource considering it uses natural resource and not metal parts. 

I'd love to be able to Katniss Everdeen or Rambo my way around the map with just a bow and arrows indefinitely. 

ALSO makeshift knifes are also a thing that flintknappers make with stone. Please also allow us to make them by combining a few stones.

Please,

A Gamer that wants a better game

• Upvote 3

Kind of tough finding flint under snow and in frozen ground, assuming it is even in a particular area to start with. I have blacksmithed, flint knapped, and hunted with bows. If you could even fashion an arrow (make shaft & attach feathers properly), a forged steel arrowhead would be the easiest and most practical to make, by far. Ground bones would be too light for propper arrow balance and probably too dull. If you have no prior experience making arrowheads, a forged (or just sharpened metal) arrowhead is definately the most realistic possibility.

Edited by Stoutlander

4 hours ago, Stoutlander said:

Kind of tough finding flint under snow and in frozen ground, assuming it is even in a particular area to start with. I have blacksmithed, flint knapped, and hunted with bows. If you could even fashion an arrow (make shaft & attach feathers properly), a forged steel arrowhead would be the easiest and most practical to make, by far. Ground bones would be too light for propper arrow balance and probably too dull. If you have no prior experience making arrowheads, a forged (or just sharpened metal) arrowhead is definately the most realistic possibility.

I disagree. I haven't blacksmithed before but I have flintknapped. I'm assuming blacksmithing would take at least an hour, if not more. Someone whose an intermediate flint knapper would only need a fraction of an hour to make an arrowhead or an improvised blade to make a knife. The Native Americans didn't have access to steel for many generations and they were totally capable with using only natural resources. 

Besides the point, this is a video game. Not even Dayz, the most ruthless and bitter survival game makes you go to such lengths to craft.

All I want is the option to toggle it in my custom game and you can go all the way across the map to make yours in the forge in your game. 

And I'm not even talking about flint. Since this is a video game I was thinking just combine maybe 5-10 rocks in the crafting menu to make the arrowheads or knife with a certain % chance of sucess based on flint knapping skill level. 

Edited by tombomb_1234

49 minutes ago, tombomb_1234 said:

I disagree. I haven't blacksmithed before but I have flintknapped. I'm assuming blacksmithing would take at least an hour, if not more. Someone whose an intermediate flint knapper would only need a fraction of an hour to make an arrowhead or an improvised blade to make a knife. The Native Americans didn't have access to steel for many generations and they were totally capable with using only natural resources. 

Besides the point, this is a video game. Not even Dayz, the most ruthless and bitter survival game makes you go to such lengths to craft.

All I want is the option to toggle it in my custom game and you can go all the way across the map to make yours in the forge in your game. 

And I'm not even talking about flint. Since this is a video game I was thinking just combine maybe 5-10 rocks in the crafting menu to make the arrowheads or knife with a certain % chance of sucess based on flint knapping skill level. 

Think about how you obtained your flint. What are the odds that you stumble across a piece of flint that is suitable for knapping (please be honest)? Just any piece of flint won't do, and you should know that. I imagine you also realize that there are different qualities of flint as well. The game takes place in coal country. I'm no geology expert, but I doubt that you would find flint there. It seems to be found near limestone. 

Easiest way to make an arrowhead or spear point; take your hacksaw, cut out a piece of flat steel in the approximate shape you want, cold hammer the edge, sharpen it on stone. No experience required and hard to screw up. You screw up while knapping, you ruin your material and must start over again. Also with knapping, it is very hard to learn without prior knowledge. A novice would look for an arrowhead shape of flint instead of thinking to strike off a suitable piece to start working. 

An oldtimer (I'm 57, he's long gone) told me how he used to find arrowheads when I was a kid. After a field was plowed and there was rain, he would go out early in the morning when the ground was still wet (upstate N.Y., near the Mohawk valley). The flint arrowheads would shine a little with moisture on them. They were easy to spot. I used the same method to find flint. Point being it would be very hard, if not impossible, to find flint with snow on the ground, assuming that there is even any in the area. 

Truth is, you aren't making a bow out of a maple sapling and animal gut anyway, at least not one that would propel an arrow fast enough to take game. You would, though, most likely find a manufactured bow (or crossbow) after searching enough homes in rural Canada. I get what you're saying, and I'm not exactly the age that game companies target, so you very well might be more in line than me. I enjoy the game simply because of how close it is to realism.

Anyway, I think it's cool that you knap. Most folks don't even know that word exists, let alone have ever done it. Hats off to you.

1 hour ago, Stoutlander said:

Think about how you obtained your flint. What are the odds that you stumble across a piece of flint that is suitable for knapping (please be honest)? Just any piece of flint won't do, and you should know that. I imagine you also realize that there are different qualities of flint as well. The game takes place in coal country. I'm no geology expert, but I doubt that you would find flint there. It seems to be found near limestone. 

Easiest way to make an arrowhead or spear point; take your hacksaw, cut out a piece of flat steel in the approximate shape you want, cold hammer the edge, sharpen it on stone. No experience required and hard to screw up. You screw up while knapping, you ruin your material and must start over again. Also with knapping, it is very hard to learn without prior knowledge. A novice would look for an arrowhead shape of flint instead of thinking to strike off a suitable piece to start working. 

An oldtimer (I'm 57, he's long gone) told me how he used to find arrowheads when I was a kid. After a field was plowed and there was rain, he would go out early in the morning when the ground was still wet (upstate N.Y., near the Mohawk valley). The flint arrowheads would shine a little with moisture on them. They were easy to spot. I used the same method to find flint. Point being it would be very hard, if not impossible, to find flint with snow on the ground, assuming that there is even any in the area. 

Truth is, you aren't making a bow out of a maple sapling and animal gut anyway, at least not one that would propel an arrow fast enough to take game. You would, though, most likely find a manufactured bow (or crossbow) after searching enough homes in rural Canada. I get what you're saying, and I'm not exactly the age that game companies target, so you very well might be more in line than me. I enjoy the game simply because of how close it is to realism.

Anyway, I think it's cool that you knap. Most folks don't even know that word exists, let alone have ever done it. Hats off to you.

Dude, this is a GAME. It's not real life. Get over yourself. I want an option to have more fun in the game. Simple as that. Stop trying to be the guy that ruins things for everyone. 

If you would care about how the damn flint is found then why the hell would you play a sci-fi game with dead corpses in the wilderness of Canada and a made up geomagnital storm. If they ever add this to the game you DONT have to use it. Leave my suggestion post alone.

12 hours ago, tombomb_1234 said:

Dude, this is a GAME. It's not real life. Get over yourself. I want an option to have more fun in the game. Simple as that. Stop trying to be the guy that ruins things for everyone. 

If you would care about how the damn flint is found then why the hell would you play a sci-fi game with dead corpses in the wilderness of Canada and a made up geomagnital storm. If they ever add this to the game you DONT have to use it. Leave my suggestion post alone.

Hinterland games; "...we strive for realism..."