Collaborative fan fiction - Read, enjoy and contribute!

- I thought you were a damn bear trying to get into my cabin. I was sleeping and just heard load bangs on my door. Scared the hell out of me. Erik muttered he let them in.

His cabin wouldn't be any warmer with a hole in the door either, so having it full of people with a storm picking up was the last thing he needed. Unless they were the least bit handy with tools, but he doubted it.

Edited by upnorth

• 2 weeks later...

When everyone had got inside after a dramatic few seconds, they stood huddled together by Eriks workbench, not sure what to say or do.

- Well, first time I had any visitors. Welcome to my cabin I guess. Erik started.

- You wanted to come by and say hi? he continued.

Amy glanced nervously at Christine hoping she would present her "grand plan". Christine looked back and understood.

- Well. As you might have noticed, there is no electricity in town after that big aurora a few days back. Also, wildlife seems to behave strangely. Most of the town seems to have left in a panic since then, but we don't want to risk getting caught in a storm. Not when we have a warm house and there are still supplies around. I own the grocery store in town. We did manage to get a hold of the authorities over the landline a couple of days ago, they didn't know any more than us but were scrambling to uphold the law and help people in need of medical attention, mostly through old vehicles less dependent on electronics. And the landlines thankfully still work. But, we probably can't stay here forever. Which is where you come in. You seem to have an old enough truck to still be able to drive around town? And we can provide food and some local area knowledge. So we thought that we might team up to improve our odds a bit. What do you think? What are your plans? Christine explained.

They all starred at Erik, waiting for him to reply. He looked overwhelmed and went to sit down on his bed.

Edited by upnorth

- Well. Erik started.

- I've been meaning to come find you too actually. I got mauled by a couple of wolves yesterday going on my usual trip to get firewood. I'm an experienced woodsman but none of the age old rules seem to apply to nature since the aurora. My radio doesn't work any more either and all in all, living in solitude is not the peaceful existence I came up here for any more. he continued.

- You are correct that I have a truck that still works, although I'm not sure what good that would do us until we know somewhere safe to travel? As you say, we are in relative safety here still and we might be better off sitting tight until we can get more news. I did meet a man that was apparently here with friends, I suspect they were illegal hunters, but I think I managed to send him off to the coast. So hopefully we wont have any additional trouble, but we should perhaps get better control of the available supplies, how well stocked is your store? Erik finished, with a questions to Christine.

Meanwhile both Emma and Mocha had started to relax a little, Emma holding her mothers hand and looking curiously at the backpack and stacks of canned foods. Mocha approaching Erik and licking his wounded hand, Amy did not try to stop it.

Christine listened carefully and thought for a moment, Emma clenching her leg. Amy watched Mocha getting acquainted with Erik.

- I agree. Until we know more we should probably stay put, at least for a couple of days. We recently got supplies to the store, but there are probably more people in town that couldn't leave, so we can't assume that we can use it all for ourselves. We should probably try to reach the authorities again though, or even regularly a couple of times per day. Christine responded.

- We might have to move more supplies to keep them safe, that's not a bad idea. We have already done that for ourselves but perhaps we should go for another pickup. You seem to have food to sustain you for a while, but I digress. Until we get a better idea of what has happened or get to a well resourced area, or get aid, we are technically stranded. I think we should start putting out traps and prepare to hunker down to be honest? Christine asked, eyes on Erik.

Edited by upnorth

• 3 weeks later...

- Mommy, are we in trouble? Emma suddenly asked after noticing the somber air in the room.

- Oh, no we are fine sweetie. We just need to think about how to go about things the next few days until things go back to normal. Christine answered, while Erik and Amy looked away to hide their reaction to the white lie.

Amy suddenly shuddered. It was hard not to imagine the worst and having lost her house and not being able to reach the one person she felt comfortable with it was very strange and lonely to stand here listening to such a conversation. Mocha noticed and came back to comfort her.

• 3 weeks later...

- Traps might be a good idea. Nature isn't itself any more with wolves being very aggressive so we shouldn't be roaming away from shelter or fire unless we really have to. And it would save on ammunition as well which we might need for defense. Haven't set traps in a while but I know where we can find rabbits. Erik replied.

- I think I should mention, I met a suspicious looking dude climbing out of a store window with seemingly all new winter gear. I managed to send him on his way with some good advice and hope that he wont return. He was trying to catch up with a group of friends, not sure why they got separated, but apparently they were heading to the coast. I suspect one or more of them might return if they figure out they are as stranded as we are and that might mean trouble if the authorities doesn't get things back to normal fairly soon. Erik added.

- I met someone too, not all geared up though. Amy suddenly mentioned quietly.

- Oh, what did he look like? Erik asked quite curious.

- Well, suspicious I guess. I didn't invite a long conversation, but I think he was headed towards the store we "visited" earlier when he left. Amy replied.

- Probably the same guy then, right before I bumped into him. I found his footsteps at my cabin and followed them there, was a bit odd that he came from the woods. I think they might have been in a hunting or logging cabin around here. Erik noted.

- Well, that's interesting. Thanks for updating us. I guess I should check on my grocery store again to be safe. There might be old or sick people venturing outside to get help now and they probably try that first. Do you mind if we hang out here until the weather winds down a bit first? Perhaps we can help you with something, look at the wound at least? Christine commented.

- Yeah, that's fine. I hope you like canned food, can't offer you much else. But I do appreciate it if you could make sure I bandaged myself properly, bit of a rush job so to speak. Nasty day. Erik answered with a grin.

• 2 weeks later...

Christine proceeded to check, clean and help Erik get bandaged properly with the supplies at hand. Amy, Emma and Mocha just watched in nervous silence.

- Have you tried hot peaches? Erik suddenly asked, looking at Emma.

- No... but I had some with ice cream once. Emma replied.

- You have to try hot peaches! My grandmother used to make them for me. Let me get the stove going and cook all of you a treat. Erik continued and started catering to his guests.

- I'm afraid I don't have much to sit on, but please use my bed. It's close to the stove and pretty warm too. Erik gestured for his guests to get comfortable.

They spent the next couple of hours enjoying some of Erik's more sweet tasting stash of canned foods making local small talk while waiting for the wind to die down a bit. Eventually they started on patching the door after snow started to blow inside.

Edited by upnorth

- Damn it's cold! He muttered to himself.

He had hoped that his stolen winter gear would do the trick, but mother nature is seldom so easily fooled. He had found a small cabin beside the road and managed to "get inside". He had never been a very handy person or good at planning, so making a fire had proved harder than he imagined. From movies he understood that staying awake was important so that would be the next best thing.

- I wonder if the others made it to the coast yet... damn weasels sneakin' off like that. Sure things got weird and they wanted to get away, but you don't leave each other behind, right?

He managed to stay awake through the night eating some of the supplies from the store for much needed energy. Then left then cabin and huddled along the road tired but relieved as the dawn came. He would see faint footprints going the same direction which gave some comfort and encouragement. This was not what he signed up for after all...

Edited by upnorth

• 1 month later...

The storm subsided along with the daylight outside a now pretty warm and cozy cabin. Laughs were slowly replaced with yawns and thoughts of getting back to a more roomy house with beds for everyone.

- Thank you so much for letting us wait out the storm and for the peaches, but I think it's possible for us to get back home safely now. Hopefully we can contact the authorities again, but until then we'll start setting traps and make it possible to last for as long as possible. Christine noted.

- Yeah, it's been an odd few days for sure. Thank you for helping me with my wound, hopefully we can avoid any further wolf encounters... Erik replied.

Amy sat in the bed with Mocha in her lap who had fallen asleep as the cabin got warmer. She looked at Emma staring out the window.

- Can you see anything, Emma?

- The sky is dancing again... Emma almost whispered.

Amy quickly leaned over and noted that Emma was indeed right. Suddenly there was a sparking sound in the cabin and everyone stopped talking to turn around and see the old radio coming back to life...

• 4 weeks later...

Mocha woke up and started barking. Amy tried her best to calm her down by putting her hands on her ears and holding her tight. She looked up at Erik and Christine with worried eyes.

- Mommy! Emma shouted and ran from the bed to Christine, nearly burning herself on the still very hot stove as she jumped off the bed.

- What's happening!? Christine asked Amy.

- It's the Aurora again, it affected the appliances in my house last time too! Amy answered with a slight panic in her voice. Mocha had calmed down a bit though, seemed like a reaction similar to hearing fireworks.

- Everyone calm down and be quiet! Erik said clearly but quiet, gesturing with his hands.

- Wildlife seem to become more aggressive during these events and we are right next to the woods, this isn't a very sturdy cabin so if we get surrounded by wolves we might not be able to fight them off, he continued.

- What should we do? Christine asked him?

- I don't know, but the radio seems to be working again, we might be able to get news or contact someone outside town now, I think we should give it a shot... Erik answered as he started to walk towards the radio, not sure what he should expect. Hoping he wouldn't get electrocuted simply touching the damned thing.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm so sorry for not writing any more on this story for ages. Been super busy and forgot about it.

Amy watched anxiously as Erik headed for the radio, crossing her fingers, though she knew that wouldn't make a difference. Mochi whined, seeming to sense the tension. 

Erik reached out a hand and touched the radio, his movements uncertain as if he expected it to shock him. Thankfully, it didn't. 

The small group seemed to hold their breath as the all-to-familiar static replaced the former silence, with the occasional garbled word. 

"Is it working?" Amy dared to ask, looking over. 

"I think so." Came Erik's response. He fiddled with the dial, and attempted to contact anyone listening. "Can anyone hear me?" He started, awaiting a response.

"Hello? Hello? Is someone there?" It sounded like a man, though their voice sounded panicked and out of breath, as if they had been running.  

Amy let out a relieved breath that she hadn't known she was holding, wondering what Erik would do. The aurora would end soon, so they had to make the most of their time, having no idea when their next chance to contact outsiders would be. Maybe there wouldn't be one.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

"Damn, I didn't think it would work, let alone that someone would be on the frequency... but I guess everyone with a radio is trying to communicate at the moment" Erik thought out loud.

He proceeded to prepare it to answer, the lights flickered a bit and he checked a couple of things to see if he could stabilize it a little. But after about 10 seconds he gave answering a go.

"Hello, I read you loud and clear. Over." Erik answered the stranger on the other end.

A few seconds passed. Everyone was staring at the radio. Mocha whining a little between Amys legs, not understanding what was going on, but a little comforted by everyone around seeming in suspense but calm.

"Oh thank god! I never thought this thing would work again! Uhh... I don't know what to do. I was just out collecting firewood when I got attacked by wolves - usually they run away from humans!? Luckily I was near my cabin and just managed to run back and close the door behind me. But I only have an old hunting rifle and not a lot of ammunition..." everyone listened intently to the panicked voice as it calmed down slightly from suddenly being less alone in the world.

"I'm sorry, I'm rambling here but I'm just so confused, and terrified to be completely honest. Did you experience anything like this yourself, do you know what is going on? Over." the voice finished.

Everyone turned their eyes from the radio to Erik.

Edited by upnorth

• 2 weeks later...

"Stay inside for now, and don't waste your ammunition if you don't have to. All wildlife have become more aggressive since the last aurora for some reason, so you will need it. Not sure what's happened, but you are not alone. The emergency services still answer on the landlines but didn't know much more than us. They are scrambling to find vehicles less dependent on electronics to keep the order and help people. Great bear is pretty isolated though so we probably won't get any aid any time soon. Over." Erik answered.

Hearing this again made the whole room reflect on everything that had happened the last couple of days. They felt lucky to still be alive, but also anxious about the future again. Gave them chills despite sitting together in a warm and relatively safe cabin.

"Oh, damn. That's right, I thought it was some sort of power surge when my radio went haywire last time, but I guess there was an aurora at the time. They always just seem like a beautiful weather phenomena... This is a lot to take in... I'm just here on holiday to hunt and fish, my cabin is not anywhere near a populated area with a landline, hence the radio. I guess I'll have to just wait it out for now, but being out here alone doesn't feel safe any more, and I have to resupply soon anyway. Over." The voice, now a lot calmer replied.

"Sounds like a plan. Good luck. Over" Erik replied.

"Thank you. Good luck to you as well. Over and out." The voice ended the transmission.

"Well, it works just fine so that's something..." Erik thought out loud.

"Should we try to see who else is listening, or try different frequencies" Christine suggested.

"Yeah, we will have to utilize the radio as much as possible now that it's working I guess". Erik agreed.

He reached for the knobs when the radio lights suddenly flickered a bit and made him hesitate. But only for a moment. Then the radio started transmitting a signal again, this time weaker.

"H...llo!? C... any... hear ... This ...s ...severence M... calling. We nee.. aid. It's ... ...ergency. Over."

The room could just make out a faint voice sparking from the radio speakers.

Edited by upnorth

"Can you repeat that?" Erik's tone changed, sounding both concerned and serious. 

There was no response, just static. Erik cursed and sat back, glancing around at the group, "I think the sky must have clouded over, the radio's dead."

"Should we try find them?" Amy spoke up, her anxiety obvious, as she hoped that whoever called was okay.

"I caught a name for their town. I think they're around Perseverance Mills." Christine added, helpfully. "We can't just ignore them."

"I wonder what's wrong. They sounded really scared." Amy glanced down, her shoulders hunched, "I hope they're alright."

"What can we do about it!?" Erik snapped, suddenly. "It's pointless to even try find them, Perseverance Mills is miles away and I don't have enough medical supplies to give them, or enough food for a long journey. I might be able to go alone, but not with all of you tagging along."

Emma, who had been previously asleep, jumped at his raised voice and started crying. Christine comforted her quietly.

"I think we should still try." Amy could see that Erik wasn't intending to seem harsh, he was just stressed by all of the unusual circumstances. They all were. "They need our help."

"I'll think about it in the morning." Erik gave a heavy sigh, "I can't go making any drastic plans when we all need sleep. I want to help them, but.." His voice faded and Amy nodded.

"I understand."  She got up, looking for an empty space in the cabin to sleep, hugging her knees and stroking her dog, who had come to join her, feeling more alone than she had in a while, and afraid, having no idea what they were going to do. All she could do was trust Erik, their unofficial leader, to do the right thing, even if she had no idea what exactly that was.

44 minutes ago, Catlover said:

I was thinking about doing some fanart for this story but I'm not sure what scene to draw as so much has happened already. Any ideas?

You could do it as part of the story, have a character think about a past event and illustrate it.

8 minutes ago, upnorth said:

You could do it as part of the story, have a character think about a past event and illustrate it.

That's what I was thinking, though I was meaning what past event I should illustrate. I'll have a read through, and find something. I'll post it on here when it's finished

A lot of alarming things had happened in one day. Emma was not used to the grown ups around her crying, shouting and being worried. Normal life had all but been wiped from memory in just a couple of days and nights. She didn't know what to think as her mother held her in her lap and she started to fall asleep from exhaustion after a very long day, dreaming about dancing skies and a talking machine asking her for help she didn't know how to provide.

• 3 weeks later...

Christine put Emma back on the bed as gently as she could. Everyone in the room had got tired from the new information and the general lack of opportunity to do anything about it. But were now trying to be calm and not argue to not wake her up. Even Mocha seemed to understand.

- I'm going to try to reach the authorities while the aurora is still going. Christine turned towards the radio.

-  You know how to use it? Erik asked, honestly.

- I think so, I have a similar model at home. Christine replied.

- Knock yourself out. I'll prepare something to eat. Erik started to prepare food for the 3 persons still awake and 1 dog.

Christine fiddled with the radio for a minute and despite the noise, Emma seemed to sleep through it. But she tried a few emergency frequencies that she learned as a child but there was no discernible response.

- Too bad, but I guess we can still use the landline for now. We should report about both the stranded hunter and the emergency at Perseverance Hills if possible. We are most likely the only available help but it couldn't hurt. Christine remarked.

No one answered. Erik served dinner and they all went for an early night in the small cabin. Managing to make fairly comfortable "beds" for everyone with the supplies at hand. Mocha was the first to wake the next day at dawn, and immediately started to lick Amy's face.

Amy groaned, sleepily pushing Mocha's face away. The sun was only just visible over the mountains and everyone else was still fast asleep. If it wasn't for her dog, she would be too.

"Might as well get up now." The young woman muttered to herself, getting ready as quietly as possible. The skies were mostly clear and a shade of red and orange from the sunrise. It looked beautiful though she hardly noticed it, used to the pretty sunrises that occurred most days. 

She quickly wrote a note on a scrap of paper in case the others woke and got concerned by her disappearance.

'Just taking Mocha for a walk. I'll be back soon' 

Amy would have been more specific on what time she'd be back, but having no clocks, she couldn't tell what time it was. She guessed about half five but couldn't really be sure. 

Mocha danced around her heels as the door opened and they walked out into the bitterly cold dawn. A light snow had started to fall and the husky ran through it, rolling in the deep snow drifts until she looked all white, aside from a pink, lolling tongue. 

Amy laughed, unable to mask her amusement. It had been a while since there had been something worth laughing about and it felt good to just be by herself, with her dog. The other people were nice, she did like them, but she liked solitude too. 

After a while of walking, she noticed that the snow had thickened, making it hard to see in front of her. There was no wind, just heavy snow, and Amy cursed, her good mood gone. She could have been miles away from the cabin or it could have been right in front of her, she didn't know with all of the snow everywhere, making the woods look unfamiliar. She turned around, heart pounding, hands shaking not just from the cold. 

"Dammit, I think we're lost,"

Edited by Catlover
I keep calling the dog Mochi, so just had to change that

Amy stumbled through the snow, yelling out in case one of the others was out looking for her. She didn't know how much time had passed but she was cold, and hungry, and most of all, scared. 

But that fear quickly made way for outright terror asshe saw the wolf. Large, dark, snarling but unusually solitary. It barked twice, deep and threatening. Amy struggled to see it through the falling snow but she heard it growling as it came closer, with unnatural hostility.

Mocha ran forward, snarling, running head on to face the wolf that had probably been stalking them for a while. Amy ran too, chasing after her brown and white husky. 

The wolf ignored the dog, racing past with startling speed and barrelling into the young woman, sinking its sharp canines into her arm and shaking his head vigorously as it roughly pinned her to the snow. Amy screamed. Nobody answered. 

Mocha stood to the side, tilting her head beflore running off, unhelpfully, into the snow. Amy hoped that she was going to find the others now that the snow that had been falling so thickly before had almost stopped. Wherever she was running off to, hopefully she'd be back. 

Amy raised her one good arm and punched the wolf in the side of the head, hard. It yelped, but held onto her arm even harder. She tried again, hitting the wolf again and again until, eventually, it let go and backed away, growling and she got to her feet, clutching the gash that the wolf's fangs had torn in her arm, that was dripping scarlet blood all over the snow. The wolf just walked away, but Amy knew that it would be back to finish her off if she didn't get going. 

Recognising where she was, now thar the snow had stopped, the injured woman began making her way back to Erik's cabin, realising the bandages and antiseptics were back there. She had forgotten to bring them, in her haste to take Mocha out. Of course, she hadn't expected to be jumped by a massive wolf, but next time she would be sure to go out prepared.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/6/2021 at 7:30 PM, Piotross said:

Hi! Can I join this thread?

Yes, everyone is very welcome to contribute! I wrote some basic instructions/suggestions in the first post, and there has been some discussions for different things, but otherwise you should just read through everything to be up to date with what's happened so that the story(ies) can make sense going forward.

Edited by upnorth