TimberWolf Mtn.

issabeepboop

Unless you got a hacksaw and you open all the cargo boxes TWM is pretty difficult. Usually players leave it as soon as possible for Pleasant Valley. There is a plane crash near by with lots of clothing to get going on that front.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Starting there can be difficult even on Voyageur because of the crappy clothing. If the mountaineering hut is too cold make a fire during the coldest part of the night - you don't necessarily need one for the whole sleep period. Then spend part of the day collecting sticks.

If you want to be warm you can move into the indoor cave between the engines. From there you can open the cargo containers to get better clothing. Eventually you will be warm enough for the hut.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DrZ said:

Unless you got a hacksaw and you open all the cargo boxes TWM is pretty difficult. Usually players leave it as soon as possible for Pleasant Valley. There is a plane crash near by with lots of clothing to get going on that front.

This is quite often what I do with a TWM start if my start is on that end of the map.  The two caches in PV (one right near the TWM rope and the other near Skeeter's Ridge) usually also have some great supplies and are reliable warm places to take shelter.

However, if my start point is the one up on the mountain, I will usually just head straight up to the peak and take my chances on finding a hacksaw in the plane up there.  If I'm lucky, I'm set.  If not, I'm dead.

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Like 1

twm start you have 1 of 2 good choices, 1 (which i prefer), run to PV, get clothes from the plane and loot all major locations, farmhouse, barn, signal tower etc, then head back to twm and go for summit and the remaining loot crates.  you can complete this in a week or two game time and be very well geared up.  2nd option, take you chances and rush to summit, its risky but if you make it you can be nicely geared from day 2-3.  

I dont prefer TWM for my loper starts.  I have a FM route and strategy that is hard to beat, so i usually do best starting there.  PV isnt terrible either, quick loot loop and be off to CH/DP

12 minutes ago, odium said:

I dont prefer TWM for my loper starts.

I like it. I see no need to rush for the summit though. There are some nice things there, but the main attraction is the flare pistol. And you can get that from the Ravine too.

What I like it for is the two boxes of matches (one in the three-way cave, one in the hut), plus a tool (mag lens, hammer or hacksaw) and maybe a clothing item. That is Interloper loot of course. Lower difficulties have more stuff. I make my way to the hut, maybe spent the night there and then head for PV where there is more great loot in the farmhouse. Then I return and do the summit about a month later.

Edited by Serenity

45 minutes ago, Serenity said:

I like it. I see no need to rush for the summit though. There are some nice things there, but the main attraction is the flare pistol. And you can get that from the Ravine too.

What I like it for is the two boxes of matches (one in the three-way cave, one in the hut), plus a tool (mag lens, hammer or hacksaw) and maybe a clothing item. That is Interloper loot of course. Lower difficulties have more stuff. I make my way to the hut, maybe spent the night there and then head for PV where there is more great loot in the farmhouse. Then I return and do the summit about a month later.

Yes, that is by far the more sane approach.  I don't deny it; but I like trying for the summit right away when I get a start high on TWM simply because it is the ultimate "all or nothing" roll.  If one commits to the climb and there is no hacksaw at the summit, one is dead, end of run... all in.  If there is a hacksaw at the summit and some other lucky factors happen such that I make the climb, I'm pretty much assured with food, matches, and clothing & the flare pistol to get back down (shinnying, no ropes) and off to a good run.  Whenever I start lower down (near Crystal Lake and this last time near the entrance to Ash Canyon, I will make my way to 3-way cave and the Mountaineer's Hut for sure... although I admit on that last start, it was very tempting to head into Ash Canyon... and probably a quicker death.  (All in all, my non-custom Loper runs never last long.  I think my PB is about 25 days, but who says dying quickly can't be fun!)

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Like 1

@issabeepboop

In my experience, when I started my current run it was also on Timberwolf Mountain... Sticks were my best friend.  In the Mountineer's Hut I'd found some matches and a hacksaw.  In those first few days, fire helped keep me warm in between hikes to raid cargo containers.  In just a couple of days I was able to get enough clothing and sticks built up to keep warm enough to stay reasonably healthy.

Timberwolf Mountain is a pretty tough region to start, but it's doable.

:coffee::fire::coffee:
I'd say just keep moving to gather up supplies and sticks.  Hang in there survivor, you can make it work.  :)

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Like 1

On 12/17/2020 at 7:23 AM, issabeepboop said:

My survivor has been alive for three days so far in TWM and I just gotta say how in the heck am I supposed to not freeze to death before day 5??????

The smartest way is to ensure you have better gear BEFORE you even touch the mountain.

• Like 1