Translation problem

TarjaS

I guess this is the right place for this. I translated the game into Finnish, published the translation in Steam Workshop, but cannot see the option for it in the game's Options/Language field. I've tried re-uploading, verifying game cache, restarting Steam, restarting the computer, but nothing helped.

Everything seemed to go fine with the publishing. I followed the instructions, the translation shows in the Workshop, but when I subscribe to it, it's not usable in the game. Could somebody test this for me? Go to Workshop and subscribe to THE LONG DARK SUOMEKSI (author TarjaS) and check if it appears in the game's language menu. It should show "suomi2" (there is another version published earlier today, so I used a different name for mine).

Hmm... I can't seem to see it either. I subscribed and it didn't appear. I tried a different Language and it appeared, so I'm thinking it might have been something on your end, and I'm guessing it's probably the smallest mistake to. Try going through the instructions again and verifying your steps, if everything looks correct get back to me and I'll look into it more.

Jeremy

I made sure I did everything the instructions said. I even installed steamcmd to my Windows 7 laptop in case it was a Windows 8 problem, but it still doesn't work. There are no special characters in the translation that could cause the problem as there's only Ä and Ö in addition to A-Z and the other Finnish translation works fine. The workshop page shows that the file has been uploaded, but it won't show in the game.

For the benefit of anyone else, who may encounter the same problem, here's the solution:

The other Finnish translator directed me to the right tracks and I found out what the problem was. He said that the translation needs to be done in Google Docs, because Excel won't work. As .csv is pure text, I realized it must be the separator, so I downloaded the Google Docs version as .csv and noticed it used comma, while Excel uses ;

Opening the Excel file in Open Office and exporting as .csv fixed that as you can select the separator during the save process. Now the translation can be used, but it's missing Ä and Ö, so I'll need to look at the character set, but at least one problem got solved.

Archived