What are your thoughts?

On 12/16/2020 at 3:30 AM, BlinkMoFried said:

relieve depression, or does it cause depression

It all depends. Video games on its own do not cause depression, it's the amount of time they take up that does. Throughout most of 2020, I was playing over 10-15 hours every day, and I really was not happy with myself. It got to the point where I was unable to complete simple tasks, and I was disappointing my parents. 

If video games become more important to you than doing chores, running errands, doing worthwhile things, etc. Than yeah, they are a problem. What I think parents shouldn't do (or if you're an adult) Is not completely take away video games, (treat them second hand). Treat it like your treat to yourself after working hard all day. 

I still play a lot, in the grand scheme of things. But I'm playing less than half of what I used, and I only at max play 2 hours in a row. My advice for anyone that feels like video games are making them 'depressed' is limit it. Take breaks, do hard work, etc. What I was not getting from playing video games was the sense of completing something worthwhile, and something that I thought mattered.

When it comes to young people, such as I becoming depressed over video games, it's not the video games fault, it's the person. You control how you spend your time, and how video games affect your life. I hope this makes sense.

• Upvote 2

On 12/22/2020 at 9:06 PM, theisaactrain said:

It all depends. Video games on its own do not cause depression, it's the amount of time they take up that does. Throughout most of 2020, I was playing over 10-15 hours every day, and I really was not happy with myself. It got to the point where I was unable to complete simple tasks, and I was disappointing my parents. 

If video games become more important to you than doing chores, running errands, doing worthwhile things, etc. Than yeah, they are a problem. What I think parents shouldn't do (or if you're an adult) Is not completely take away video games, (treat them second hand). Treat it like your treat to yourself after working hard all day. 

I still play a lot, in the grand scheme of things. But I'm playing less than half of what I used, and I only at max play 2 hours in a row. My advice for anyone that feels like video games are making them 'depressed' is limit it. Take breaks, do hard work, etc. What I was not getting from playing video games was the sense of completing something worthwhile, and something that I thought mattered.

When it comes to young people, such as I becoming depressed over video games, it's not the video games fault, it's the person. You control how you spend your time, and how video games affect your life. I hope this makes sense.

Exactly. I know and I understand the feeling. Your kind words warmed my heart and I believe that your statements are important and thanks for providing guidance for everyone. I also found this article which gives me interest and worthy to share, https://adaa.org/learn-from-us/from-the-experts/blog-posts/consumer/top-ten-covid-19-anxiety-reduction-strategies, hoping someone can benefit from it. 

• Like 1

On 12/31/2020 at 7:00 PM, BlinkMoFried said:

Very true! many games have big tournament which has bigger price which is indeed making you instant-rich! How about you? are you playing other games as well? Why?

Exactly! Yes I also tried other games because it cannot only enhance your learning it can bring fortune too.  Plus factor is that,  it can improve players' moods, promote relaxation and ward off anxiety, the study said.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2021 at 11:54 AM, GimletInternet said:

It reliefs my depression. It is more like my source of joy/happiness.

Video games are now the source of happiness due to these uncertain days where most people are on their house.

On 1/13/2021 at 9:16 AM, diggity said:

Moderation in all things.  People can go overboard on almost any activity, emotion or mental process.   There lies trouble.

I agree with you as well. Moderation is the key!

• 1 month later...

games are like a decoder ring.   You put something in, and you get something out of it.   The disconnect always comes with the "Expectations".    When you understand the mechanisms in play (not just mechanics, but also the psychological processes they interact with) you can form a casual coherent link between input and output.  When you don't...... what you end up with is confusion.  And most people do not handle confusion well; especially if it triggers anxieties, insecurities and complexes. 

But the opposite can also happen with a "seemingly" positive outcome, thats in reality part of a self destructive process or cycle.  IE: "video games are only entertainment, and entertainment is escapism and supposed to make me fell good"  Suffice to say I've had a LOT of arguments with people that somehow keeps coming back to that very sentiment.  Its like the Gamer version of "think of the children". 

• 3 months later...

As someone who has not left the house for nearly twenty years I am a dje hard addict! Without games I would be an absolute mess! Its an escape from the boredom and a great way to focus on something other than all the rubbish going on out there! Its fun and absobjng! I'd be lost without it! But everything in moderation is the way!