Any chance we get a Minecraft-like saving system (leave game = save, no checkpoints or other fuss))

Underloper

Even if that's just a custom game option, a simple and radical saving system at "quit game" would be a blast and would make full sense with the permadeath feature in Survival... I understand the current saving system for story mode but the Survival Sandbox would really go a bit further into permadeath with a Minecraft-like saving system... 

Any chance that happens?

PS: hunting has always been a bit simplistic in the  long dark: may I suggest a trap/bait feature? Wolf traps, deer sent, peanut buttet bear bait... Idk... something "strategic" :)

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Underloper said:

Even if that's just a custom game option, a simple and radical saving system at "quit game" would be a blast and would make full sense with the permadeath feature in Survival... I understand the current saving system for story mode but the Survival Sandbox would really go a bit further into permadeath with a Minecraft-like saving system... 

Any chance that happens?

Totally agree with you !

5 minutes ago, mayimbe said:

decoys today are useless, since wolves totally ignore it

That is demonstrably not true (perhaps you were just using hyperbole, but even so)...

I've use the decoys rather recently, and they worked exactly as I would have expected.  :D
It got the wolf off my trail, and it went off for the easier meal.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

Es evidente que eso  no es cierto (tal vez solo estaba usando una hipérbole, pero aun así) ...

He utilizado los señuelos bastante recientemente y funcionaron exactamente como esperaba.  :RE
Sacó al lobo de mi rastro y se fue en busca de una comida más fácil.

:café::fuego::café:

Well, I take out a bait and the wolves ignore it and attack me, it doesn't matter how far I am from the wolf. Whenever I meet a wolf, it is a guaranteed fight, maybe I have to do it differently, I don't know, but my decoys are as if they didn't exist.

@mayimbe

I mean, if you wait until the wolf has already started charging (thusly started it's attack), then yeah it's too late for decoys...
The decoys were never meant to interrupt an attack.

We're supposed to use the decoys when they are stalking (not charging).

I use decoys pretty regularly to keep the Lone Wolf of Crystal Lake far enough away so I can hunt deer in peace, and it works every time.

Edited by ManicManiac

4 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

@mayimbe

Quiero decir, si esperas hasta que el lobo ya haya comenzado a cargar (así comenzó su ataque), entonces sí, es demasiado tarde para los señuelos ...
Los señuelos nunca tuvieron la intención de interrumpir un ataque.

Se supone que debemos usar los señuelos cuando están acechando (no cargando).

when they are stalking you mean once they bark ?? or shortly after that part has not been clear to me. thanks for clarifying but until now it was seeing a wolf and it was a guaranteed fight and I would like to know how the decoys work to avoid those attacks

@mayimbe
I'm happy to help out any way I can :)

19 minutes ago, mayimbe said:

when they are stalking you mean once they bark ?

When they initially bark (because it has detected you), and they start to follow you: that is indeed the "stalking" phase.

While stalking, the wolf will persistently follow and try to get close enough to start an attack run... once the wolf begins charge only three things will interrupt an attack run (at least in my experience those two things are a critical gunshot/arrow wound, a flare-gun shell, or proximity to a bear - but if the bear has broken off the wolf's charge, chances are you have bigger problems to worry about :D).

In any event, if the player is not encumbered they can pretty easily keep pace ahead of a stalking wolf.  Meaning that as long as the we keep moving forward, we can keep a stalking wolf strung along behind us for a long time with out much worry.  In most cases, as long as we keep a good distance between us and the wolf, we can usually just walk to shelter without getting attacked.

At anytime during the stalking phase we can drop a decoy and it will draw the stalking wolf's attention; just as long as the decoy is closer to the wolf than you are (meaning dropping it and continue walking farther away).  This works just like kiting a stalking wolf onto some rabbits.  As long as the rabbit (or decoy) is between you and the stalking wolf... the wolf will opt for the rabbit (or decoy) and begin stalking that instead.  When it gets close enough it will attack and eat the rabbit (or in the case of the decoy, snatch it up and reset to normal prowling behavior).

I do hope this translates well.  I'm happy to follow up with any other questions you may have.  :)

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

@mayimbe
Estoy feliz de ayudar en todo lo que pueda :)

Cuando inicialmente ladra (porque te ha detectado) y empiezan a seguirte: esa es de hecho la fase de "acecho".

Mientras acecha, el lobo lo seguirá persistentemente e intentará acercarse lo suficiente para iniciar una carrera de ataque ... una vez que el lobo comienza a cargar, solo tres cosas interrumpirán una carrera de ataque (al menos en mi experiencia, esas dos cosas son un disparo / flecha crítica herida, un proyectil de bengalas o la proximidad a un oso, pero si el oso ha roto la carga del lobo, es probable que tengas problemas más grandes de los que preocuparte :RE).

En cualquier caso, si el jugador no está estorbado, puede seguir fácilmente el paso por delante de un lobo al acecho. Lo que significa que mientras sigamos avanzando, podemos mantener a un lobo acechador colgado detrás de nosotros durante mucho tiempo sin mucha preocupación. En la mayoría de los casos, siempre que mantengamos una buena distancia entre nosotros y el lobo, normalmente podemos caminar hasta el refugio sin ser atacados.

En cualquier momento durante la fase de acecho podemos soltar un señuelo y llamará la atención del lobo acechador; siempre y cuando el señuelo esté más cerca del lobo que tú. Esto funciona como poner a un lobo al acecho en algunos conejos. Siempre que el conejo (o señuelo) esté entre tú y el lobo acechador ... el lobo optará por el conejo (o señuelo) y comenzará a acecharlo. Cuando se acerque lo suficiente, atacará y se comerá al conejo (o, en el caso del señuelo, lo agarrará y restablecerá el comportamiento normal de merodeo).

Espero que esto se traduzca bien. Me complace hacer un seguimiento con cualquier otra pregunta que pueda tener.  :)

thanks for helping me, so much wolf and so much attack was something that made me desperate

Saving system like that is bad because if your game is spoiled by a bug than your game is over = You are dead if you get stuck to some glitch, fall through the map, etc. If you just quit you can save the game. Think about some 500 days game  ruined by some random bug...

• Upvote 2

Also to get back on topic... the save systems:
There are also reasons behind saving when making region transitions, or entering "internal" structures/caves, as well as after injury/struggles:
(I'll echo what I discussed the other day)

On 12/11/2020 at 3:05 AM, ManicManiac said:

From what I understand (and I acknowledge I can't know for sure... but this is what I've read from Milton Mail Bags and other conversations that Raph and other Admins have posted) there are at least two good reasons that I know of that both just boil down to Intentional Game Design:

1. Events Having Real Consiquences...  I think saving after an injury (and after entering internal structures) goes hand in hand with the concept of permadeath.  That is to say, that mistakes & misfortunes have actual consequences encouraging the player to become more skillful, and to pay more attention to what they are doing during play (rather than being able to just "brute force" success).
  2. The Random Loot in Containers... I think it's part of how the loot tables operate.  Specifically, helps to keep folks from being able to exploit the RNG by just reloading and "re-entering" a location for the "first time" again and again until the player brute forces the possible loot they want to appear (saving upon first entry then effectively locks in the RNG rolls for all the containers).

There may be several reasons why the save systems work the way they do, again I don't pretend to know Hinterland's inner workings... it's just what they've shared with us in the past.

[some off topic text removed for brevity]

:coffee::fire:

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just want to chime in about the save systems. If the game was to save the progress only when you quit the game, it would be massive loss of time and effort if the game just crashed to the desktop. This has happened to many people including me. The crashes used to be random. Saving after one of the many events in game prevents the loss of progress due to this. And of course, other reasons people have mentioned above. I'm all for making the game more intentional and 'real to life' but sometimes we just have to factor in these glitches that might be the result of some serious frustration.

• Upvote 2

I would advocate just adding a manual save feature. Similar to story mode except you don't get multiple slots, it just overwrites the one you're playing.

Say you're on Interloper and are in the middle of Pleasant Valley.  Life happens and you have to stop playing the game. You might not have the luxury of walking all the way to the nearest building to force a save, and on Interloper you can't just plop down in the middle of nowhere and take a 1-hour nap to force a save either. You either need to do something drastic like throw yourself off a short cliff to force a sprain, or leave your computer or console turned on while you leave.

It'd be nice if we could just click save, shut down, and go take care of business.

• Upvote 6

• 5 months later...

@ajb1978The save problem has been made a little easier. The game now saves if you pass time when cooking, so making a cup of tea or some water is a viable way to save the game.

Still, a save-anywhere feature would be nice. And, as with any controversial feature, this could be either enabled/disabled when first creating a world.That way, everyone should be happy. ;)