Remove Loading Screen

Forrest

On 12/12/2020 at 9:08 PM, Forrest said:

Whenever I enter a house . There is a loading screen 

Please remove these loading screens . It's not working with reality

Maybe for high end PCs, ps5 and xbox series X but I highly doubt this game would run if it was all one instance on ps4 or xbox one. If it does then I wouldn't be surprised if it drops performance a bit. It would also require a redesign of the map to properly connect all the regions cause as it is now when entering a new region the previous one unloads while the new one is loaded in so they aren't really connected, it's more of a teleportation to the new region. Though if hinterland could pull it off I wouldn't be against it as it'll definitely improve immersion but I wouldn't keep your hopes up as it isn't as simple as just removing loading screen it's a bit of a technical issue that may break the game without the loading screens. 

Indoor locations are separate levels. Its core of the game. Never happen. Also its quick load, if it annoys you, then you have potato computer, or something wrong with game compatibility.

Also when you make indoor location as part of whole level, its hard to edit and its more expensive for computing power.

Keep as it is. Removing quick load is worthless of effort.

Edited by Mr. 0
  • Like 1

I agree to keep the indoor locations as seperate loads, but what if there was animation tied to it instead of a loading screen...

You are being chased by a wolf! You sprint into the door. (Rather than holding the button to let you in) this triggers the animation in which you crash through the door -swinging it open, then slamming it shut. Your focus has been on the door knob. You get inside (though not actually loaded yet) push against the door and verify it’s actually shut, mess with the lock (hand shaking) keep a hand on the door while staring toward the knob, breathing heavily, your character says “that was close!”

You stay in this position until the interior is loaded (around you) then looking away from the door at the floor you look up to the actual loaded environment/position. 

Something to help with immersion. 

I really hoped for another Mountaineer’s Hut style base in Ash Canyon. I hope more are planned. I prefer the immersion of no loading screen and the realism of the indoor temps changing. 

On 12/11/2020 at 3:05 AM, ManicManiac said:

From what I understand (and I acknowledge I can't know for sure... but this is what I've read from Milton Mail Bags and other conversations that Raph and other Admins have posted) there are at least two good reasons that I know of that both just boil down to Intentional Game Design:

1. Events Having Real Consiquences...  I think saving after an injury (and after entering internal structures) goes hand in hand with the concept of permadeath.  That is to say, that mistakes & misfortunes have actual consequences encouraging the player to become more skillful, and to pay more attention to what they are doing during play (rather than being able to just "brute force" success).
  2. The Random Loot in Containers... I think it's part of how the loot tables operate.  Specifically, helps to keep folks from being able to exploit the RNG by just reloading and "re-entering" a location for the "first time" again and again until the player brute forces the possible loot they want to appear (saving upon first entry then effectively locks in the RNG rolls for all the containers).

There may be several reasons why the save systems work the way they do, again I don't pretend to know Hinterland's inner workings... it's just what they've shared with us in the past.

Another reason is that the indoor areas are effectively their own independent "sub-region" (that is to say that when we go inside, the outside world gets unloaded, and the interior of the structure or cave system is then rendered).

:coffee::fire::coffee: