Quartered meat

Sus-wolf

Wolves aren't the problem. Quarters decay extremely rapidly and need to be butchered right away. The point of quartering is that you can quickly get all the meat and guts/hides and then cut your steaks in a warm or save location. It's more for bears and moose than small animals

1 hour ago, Serenity said:

Wolves aren't the problem. Quarters decay extremely rapidly and need to be butchered right away. The point of quartering is that you can quickly get all the meat and guts/hides and then cut your steaks in a warm or save location. It's more for bears and moose than small animals

Well I shot a bear and its nearish to my home bade but its still going to take many trips and I was concerned by the time I got back it would be gone. Thanks for the info! 🙂

35 minutes ago, Serenity said:

Unless they've changed something wolves generally don't eat meat just lying around on the ground. Only stuff you dropped with the decoy button

I thought they had changed that. I guess its just that carcasses despawn? I’ve played through the story mode and have been playing survival mode but never made it far enough to worry about stuff going missing.

43 minutes ago, Serenity said:

A menos que hayan cambiado algo, los lobos generalmente no comen carne simplemente tirados en el suelo. Solo cosas que dejaste caer con el botón señuelo

the meat in quarters if the wolves eat it if you leave it next to the animal that you have hunted the safest thing to do when you return have one less bag of meat

I will quarter bears or moose if the location where they fall is very exposed if a wind comes up but close to a cave.  I then drop all my gear in the cave and make a few short runs to collect the bags then I gear back up and settle in by a fire to process them.

If you do quarter, don't forget to pick up the hide off the ground.  It does not just go into your inventory the way it does when you harvest a carcass.

Edited by UpUpAway95

On 12/13/2020 at 3:31 AM, Sus-wolf said:

I guess its just that carcasses despawn?

Yes, not long ago I conducted that experiment.  I left one bag of meat sitting out... and it did indeed despawn once the "condition" hit 0%.  For long term meat storage, always best to carve it up and leave it out raw (either inside or outside... just not in a container).

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ManicManiac said:

Sí, no hace mucho realicé ese experimento. Dejé una bolsa de carne afuera ... y de hecho desapareció una vez que la "condición" llegó al 0%. Para el almacenamiento de carne a largo plazo, siempre es mejor cortarla y dejarla cruda (ya sea por dentro o por fuera ... pero no en un recipiente).

:café::fuego::café:

Cooked meat lasts longer than raw meat and the carrne in quarters is eaten by wolves if you leave it in bags next to the hunted animal verified by me.

@mayimbe
A wolf will treat raw meat/quarters like a decoy if it's stalking you... so yes.  However, that's not what I was talking about.
Perhaps I misinterpreted the other poster's question, but I was simply talking about how a meat-bag would de-spawn once it's condition reached 0% (a.k.a. "ruined")

More specifically I was simply saying that for long term meat storage, I think it's better to leave it out raw... I say this not because it "lasts" longer, but because you when cook "ruined" meat, it's gets buffed back up to 50% condition.  Once cooked food is "ruined" you just have to eat "ruined" food.  :D

:coffee::fire::coffee:
So yes, I realize that cooked meat decays slower outside... I was looking at it from a different angle.  That is to say... we can effectively keep meat indefinitely and still always have our meat cooked to 50% condition.  :)

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

@mayimbe
Un lobo tratará la carne cruda / cuartos como un señuelo si te está acechando ... así que sí. Sin embargo, eso no es de lo que estaba hablando.
Quizás malinterpreté la pregunta del otro cartel, pero simplemente estaba hablando de cómo una bolsa de carne desaparecería una vez que su condición alcanzara el 0% (también conocido como "arruinado").

Más específicamente, estaba diciendo simplemente que para el almacenamiento de carne a largo plazo, creo que es mejor dejarla cruda ... Digo esto no porque "dure" más, sino porque cuando cocinas carne "arruinada", se pule copia de seguridad hasta el 50% de condición. Una vez que la comida cocida se "arruina", sólo tiene que comer comida "arruinada".  :RE

:café::fuego::café:
Entonces sí, me doy cuenta de que la carne cocida se descompone más lentamente afuera ... La estaba viendo desde un ángulo diferente. Es decir ... podemos conservar la carne de manera efectiva por tiempo indefinido y aún así tener nuestra carne cocinada al 50%.  :)

seen as you say you are right better to eat 50% meat than ruined I had not thought of it that way

Just to clarify one point, meat in bags decays at the same rate meat on the carcass does, and a carcass will completely despawn after exactly 4 days from the moment it hit the ground dead. So if you quarter it, make a point to harvest those bags ASAP. There are pros and cons to quartering vs. harvesting everything in the field. Generally speaking quartering is faster up front, but takes more time overall since you have more to transport, plus you have to spend more time harvesting meat from the quarters. It's extra wear on the tools too.  I would really only quarter if I couldn't afford to be outside for very long. Like if it was too cold to be out for long and it was too windy to start a fire, I'd want to quarter it, grab what I can carry, and get to someplace warm.  Come back for the rest later.  I try to harvest everything in the field every time I can though. It's just more efficient.

Another thing to consider is starting a campfire next to your kill, cutting off a couple steaks, and start cooking them while you work on harvesting more stuff from the carcass. The fire keeps the carcass thawed, and you save a bit of time by getting some of the cooking done early.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 2