Idea for a new map

The_Hawk35

maybe if there was a highlands map, where cover is scarce, the ground is rocky and thick, fast flowing rivers are frequent. The only structures would be an enormous quarry and a nearby miners village. A few isolated houses and a number of caves.

Vegetation would be scarce, with mostly mosses and lichens in shadowed cloughs and hollows, with some windburnt grass. You will happen upon some twisted pine trees, dwarfed by the constant, bitter wind.

Moose would be present in small herds, but there are no deer populations. Wolves are few and far between, but your main enemy is the bitter cold and endless wind.

it isn't very wildernessy though, is it? You would just be going from apartment block to apartment block ransacking tons of loot, with very little effort.

Besides, it will be crammed with people escaping the cold of the rural areas, there won't be much surviving to be done. It'll just turn into "Refugee camp simulator 2015"

I don't like the idea of an urban map either because it is too reminiscent of zombie genres

maybe if there was a highlands map, where cover is scarce, the ground is rocky and thick, fast flowing rivers are frequent. The only structures would be an enormous quarry and a nearby miners village. A few isolated houses and a number of caves.

Vegetation would be scarce, with mostly mosses and lichens in shadowed cloughs and hollows, with some windburnt grass. You will happen upon some twisted pine trees, dwarfed by the constant, bitter wind.

Moose would be present in small herds, but there are no deer populations. Wolves are few and far between, but your main enemy is the bitter cold and endless wind.

Love the idea of moose. :D I understand they can kick, stomp, and kill wolves and also present a hazard to humans if harassed... but not if unprovoked... please. Maybe add some berry bushes to the highlands too.

it isn't very wildernessy though, is it? You would just be going from apartment block to apartment block ransacking tons of loot, with very little effort.

Besides, it will be crammed with people escaping the cold of the rural areas, there won't be much surviving to be done. It'll just turn into "Refugee camp simulator 2015"

There are enough completely abandoned (small) towns in Canada to consider that idea. In a town without any population for decades, you won't find much usable loot, while dealing with less natural resources.

I don't like the idea of an urban map either because it is too reminiscent of zombie genres

I can see your point there, but zombie games and movies have used all kinds of settings from big cities to rural areas like we find in TLD - minus the snow. A ghost town worn down by the weather and nature and covered in snow is not closer to zombie-games than the current maps.

Plus: The coastal highway must lead somewhere, doesn't it?

Deeper woods. With bushes and smaller trees. Great open plain areas with some rolling hills and lots and lots of rabbits and foxes. Few wolves tossed in for good measure. Of course snow covered.

I don't think a rain map is stupid but I think implementing it without a wet meter Is lame. I further think getting water in the current environment is the easiest resource to create. All you need is fire and time. You can literally make gallons of water over night keeping a fire going from a forage stock and you'll never ever run out of water ever. Keep that fire going for 3-4 days constant and just make water, you'll have weeks or months worth of water. I don't see the issue.

Deeper woods. With bushes and smaller trees. Great open plain areas with some rolling hills and lots and lots of rabbits and foxes. Few wolves tossed in for good measure. Of course snow covered.

I second the deep woods idea. I'd love to see a vast forest with almost no signs people at all, where you'd have to sleep outside or in caves. This would make an excellent transition area between two or more ordinary areas. Maybe there could be a road with a few buildings, but following the road would takes 2-3 times longer than braving the forest.

• 2 weeks later...

Any rain map would probably have to drop back below freezing at night to punish you for getting wet and not drying your cloths.

I thing an urban map with lots of tool and cloths resources but little to no food or wild life would be cool. You could really put a dark tone on the game if a village of 500 people all starved to death and froze to death. Really sell it and put an airstrip in town implying the town lost it's resupply when all the planes stopped flying.

on a darker note, I'd like to see a real mining town, where skyline is dominated by a massive covered headframe closer to the mine you find housing, a company store. And the Utility House, a large building that houses two large pumps, a massive store of kerosene, tones of scrap metal, multiple sets of tools circling the frozen corpse of man, who was propped up against a the mining company's emergency generator. And if you investigate the Headframe you'll find the opening of the mineshaft flooded with water.

I think it's kinda funny as the OP was removed from the forum, so now it looks like this was my thread :)

Is this some kind of security step in case if the admins removed the OP because he opened this thread?:D

I would like to see a map what is about pure hunting and survival.

Who cares about the loot?

When I am out of the wildlife around my base of operations I want to go out and hunt probably.

Archived