The next big question

stratvox

No, but they aren't repairable in the normal course of events, so the day is coming when they will; I'm about one fiftieth of the way there. Also going to have to see if a worktable might make a difference... but I have my doubts. Given their completely unique nature (there's exactly one set of crampons in the entire game world), I'd expect they'd need the services of a unique item like the milling machine during an aurora to be repaired.

ETA: if they can be repaired at all, that is; they may simply be a time limited item: once you get them they last as long as they last and then they're done.

Edited by stratvox
  • Upvote 1

If you use them and they can't be repaired, eventually they will break. It might be sooner, it might be later, but eventually they'll end up in a "ruined" state, and that'll be that... unless it turns out they can be repaired at the mill in the workshop at the Cannery.

Which I don't know yet. Thinking about making a run down there to find out. It's a hell of a hike.

I haven't made the run down to the Cannery Workshop to find out yet; I'm still exploring Ash Canyon. There's a LOT in there, and there are a huge number of hidden little spots that aren't obviously found but totally exist... I can see them, but I haven't yet been able to reach them, and I'm still messing around with that. They are definitely decaying with use... in AC the terrain is rugged and the crampons make a huge difference wrt sprains and just how quickly you can get around.

Made it to the cannery (and eventually an aurora).  Not on the list of repairable items at the lathe.  Had the usual bug at the work bench in the workshop where I can't do the standard crafting, but had already tried to repair the crampons at AC workbench with tools and metal in inventory, no dice.

So as far as I can see, we are looking at a limited use item that you take with you for those times when you need a bit of extra help with rope climbs/ mountain goating/ beachcombing. Someone elsewhere on forum (apologies, it's late so haven't gone through to give proper credit) has found crampons degrade when in predator encounters, and equipping on inner slot is advantageous.  I kept them on all the time and had a couple of bear attacks in the first few days I wore them, but already down to 60% condition.  Seems they are a 'use only when you have no other choice' item.  I think that I like this.

I was going to go to the Cannery as well, but it appears that has already been found out. I've been wearing them for around 7 days, climbing many ropes (TWM summit, up and down Ravine) and, and been mauled by a moose (a lot of stims needed to summit with broken ribs) and a wolf (just a sprained wrist, no clothing damage) and the crampons are still at 100%. It's possible they only degrade in predator encounters, in which case they are technically usable forever if you get lucky.

Edited by Salty Crackers

It was Daymo on this thread who mentioned the inner slot tip for crampons:

I did a brief experiment today- went out of BI via the ravine, so two climbs with crampons equipped.  No degradation.  So, it appears the 'interesting choice' with the crampons is firstly whether to carry the extra weight (probably not too difficult a call with the new backpack), and secondly whether to leave them on for the extra 10% protection, or protect the crampons themselves which in theory appear to be infinite if not damaged in a fight.

As an aside, I love the crampon sound effect.

I still do think they degrade naturally like any other clothing item although it may be at an extremely slow rate that it's almost unnoticeable to the player.

My reasoning for this is from watching a video of Rational Bassist (the player with a 12-year-old Interloper save) getting the crampons on his long run. By the time he found them, they were already at 12% so surely there must be some natural degradation going on there.

In that run, he has survived for a total of 4433 days by the time he found the crampons, which have degraded by 88% (this is assuming they always spawn at 100% at the start of the save) indicating that they have a decay rate of roughly 0.020%/day when stored. I went to cross-check using my own Interloper run where I found the crampons on Day 160(ish) and they were at 97% - the math checks out when I used the same decay rate as above to calculate.

Again, this is just my speculation - we definitely need more data from other Interlopers to confirm about this (reason being each game mode has its own decay rates, with Interloper having the fastest). So it'd be great if anyone playing Interloper could share on which day they found the crampons and the condition at which they were found.

Edited by gotmilkanot
  • Upvote 2

I haven't made the run down to the Cannery Workshop to find out yet; I'm still exploring Ash Canyon. There's a LOT in there, and there are a huge number of hidden little spots that aren't obviously found but totally exist... I can see them, but I haven't yet been able to reach them, and I'm still messing around with that. They are definitely decaying with use... in AC the terrain is rugged and the crampons make a huge difference wrt sprains and just how quickly you can get around, so I've been wearing them pretty much non-stop. They are decaying, and doing so fairly quickly, at least in my game. They were in the nineties when I picked them up, and they're in the seventies now.

12 hours ago, gotmilkanot said:

I still do think they degrade naturally like any other clothing item although it may be at an extremely slow rate that it's almost unnoticeable to the player.

My reasoning for this is from watching a video of Rational Bassist (the player with a 12-year-old Interloper save) getting the crampons on his long run. By the time he found them, they were already at 12% so surely there must be some natural degradation going on there.

In that run, he has survived for a total of 4433 days by the time he found the crampons, which have degraded by 88% (this is assuming they always spawn at 100% at the start of the save) indicating that they have a decay rate of roughly 0.020%/day when stored. I went to cross-check using my own Interloper run where I found the crampons on Day 160(ish) and they were at 97% - the math checks out when I used the same decay rate as above to calculate.

Again, this is just my speculation - we definitely need more data from other Interlopers to confirm about this (reason being each game mode has its own decay rates, with Interloper having the fastest). So it'd be great if anyone playing Interloper could share on which day they found the crampons and the condition at which they were found.

Interloper decay is 200% Stalker decay, so them lasting 12 years in an Interloper save is around 24 years in Stalker. I'm not sure exactly how you would measure decay when being used, though. Further research is needed.

2 hours ago, Salty Crackers said:

Interloper decay is 200% Stalker decay, so them lasting 12 years in an Interloper save is around 24 years in Stalker. I'm not sure exactly how you would measure decay when being used, though. Further research is needed.

The decay rate of crampons when stored is extremely slow even on Interloper that it is almost trivial to worry about them getting ruined over time as long as you're using them sparingly i.e., not having them on all the time.

However, I do think they decay at a noticeably fast rate (though I don't know how fast) when worn all the time. There's also the risk of them getting damaged in animal attacks so unless there's a way to repair them, I'd suggest just carrying them in your inventory and only put them on when you're about to climb ropes. Sprains, although annoying, are extremely easy to deal with and you shouldn't be wearing the non-repairable crampons just for these.

Edit: By now, I've had mine for more than a month in-game and I've been carrying (storing) them in my inventory and only wearing them (even as outer slot) when I'm climbing ropes. They're still at 97% till now.

Edited by gotmilkanot

Are we sure that crampons are always 100% when found? On my Voyager run I have picked them, put them on on inner slot. Then went through the mine using two down ropes to moose area and Stone Shelf cave. I have not encountered any fight except shhoting moose which does not touched me. Now my crampons are 98%

Is it possible that there is some other decay definition? I would expect walking with crampons on rock bed of the cave could be breaking them fast. Because I walked with them through the mine (which contain veeery cold water) and in the cave. And 2% down is not nice on item which may not be repairable.

I’ve looted TWM, PV, ML, FM, BR, HRV and MT with them on permanently and they’re at 90%.
It’s Voyager so decay rates aren’t too bad, they’ve decayed significantly less than all other clothing. Noticed most of the decay after a wolf attack shortly after finding them, the only other struggles I’ve had have been with wolves with at least one bullet in them so have only lasted a couple of seconds. There’s been a couple of small falls with bruising and clothing damage. I think that might damage the crampons and I’ve had more of these than normal due to there being less danger of sprains whilst goating so I’ve taken risks I wouldn’t normally.

Edited by Daymo

4 hours ago, acada said:

Are we sure that crampons are always 100% when found? On my Voyager run I have picked them, put them on on inner slot. Then went through the mine using two down ropes to moose area and Stone Shelf cave. I have not encountered any fight except shhoting moose which does not touched me. Now my crampons are 98%

Is it possible that there is some other decay definition? I would expect walking with crampons on rock bed of the cave could be breaking them fast. Because I walked with them through the mine (which contain veeery cold water) and in the cave. And 2% down is not nice on item which may not be repairable.

https://thelongdark.fandom.com/wiki/Decay

From the wiki, we know that a clothing item has 3 decay rates - stored, worn inside and worn outside.

When stored (i.e., you're not wearing them), the crampons still do decay but EXTREMELY SLOWLY even on Interloper (which has the highest decay rates) so on lower difficulties, it's almost negligible. But they still do decay.

And as already noticed by some of you, the crampons definitely have wear and tear when you're wearing them, and that decay rate is of course going to be faster than when they're safely stored in a container or your inventory. Take note outer layer clothing items decay even faster during animal attacks, falls, blizzards, etc.

Edited by gotmilkanot

4 hours ago, Daymo said:

I’ve looted TWM, PV, ML, FM, BR, HRV and MT with them on permanently and they’re at 90%.
It’s Voyager so decay rates aren’t too bad, they’ve decayed significantly less than all other clothing. Noticed most of the decay after a wolf attack shortly after finding them, the only other struggles I’ve had have been with wolves with at least one bullet in them so have only lasted a couple of seconds. There’s been a couple of small falls with bruising and clothing damage. I think that might damage the crampons and I’ve had more of these than normal due to there being less danger of sprains whilst goating so I’ve taken risks I wouldn’t normally.

I did survive a double bear attack with them in outer clothing slot, which may explain quickly being down to 60%...

Someone mentioned in a different thread that if you put the cramp ons in the INNER accessory slot, they wouldn't take any hit damage.

That's at least something.

Right now, I'm only putting them on for rope climbs. But if the natural decay is the same as wearing them on the inner slot, I might as well keep them on.

-t

But do you still get the benefits of crampons if you wear them in the inner slot? Because from what I observed, the Sure Footing buff is shown as active only if the crampons are worn as outer layer. It might just be a visual effect, though.

Edited by gotmilkanot

On 12/10/2020 at 11:37 AM, stratvox said:

Can the crampons be repaired in the workshop in Bleak Inlet?

Personally, I like the idea of crampons being a limited use item.  It prompts the player to have to carefully consider under what circumstances they would consider to necessary to wear them down.  I think there is an interesting element of player strategy in that idea.  :)

I have not yet had the chance to try them out myself... but due to their listed benefits, it seems to me that they would be an over powered player convenience if they were essentially a permanent buff.

:coffee::fire:
Perhaps I'll change my mind after I get a chance to personally experience their impact to gameplay.  However, in concept I hope they are (and stay) a limited use item.  I'd rather that they could never be repaired, and once they are used up... that player advantage is gone.

Edited by ManicManiac

4 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

Personally, I like the idea of crampons being a limited use item.  It prompts the player to have to carefully consider under what circumstances they would consider to necessary to wear them down.  I think there is an interesting element of player strategy in that idea.  :)

I have not yet had the chance to try them out myself... but due to their listed benefits, it seems to me that they would be an over powered player convenience if they were essentially a permanent buff.

:coffee::fire:
Perhaps I'll change my mind after I get a chance to personally experience their impact to gameplay.  However, in concept I hope they are (and stay) a limited use item.  I'd rather that they could never be repaired, and once they are used up... that player advantage is gone.

At the time they decay, the player will most likely be at full gear (end game), so at this time its only an inconvenience (strains ropes etc). I don't see any strategy to this. 

Imho the player should be able to repair them at BI even if that means they decay faster. Then it becomes strategy. :) 

1 hour ago, vega said:

At the time they decay, the player will most likely be at full gear (end game), so at this time its only an inconvenience (strains ropes etc). I don't see any strategy to this. 

Imho the player should be able to repair them at BI even if that means they decay faster. Then it becomes strategy. :) 

Gonna have to agree with ya on this one.  Just spent 7 days in BI and cannot repair the crampons.  Was really hoping I could.  Wore them continuously for about 20 game days and they did degrade.  Now I take them on and off depending on the situation.  I did notice as well that on the inside slot, no steady footing bonus applied, only the outside slot.