Bigger animal traps

MrGodd2K9

A problem I run into during a long play through is running low on food, forcing me to spend my valuable ammunition on hunting wildlife, I tend to do this mainly after finding food in houses have all been depleted and used up.

How about a bigger animal trap such as a spike pit? Requiring maybe a craft able shovel to dig it out and then stick to use as spikes :-)

Hmm aye never thought about that realistically would probably take a lot of supplies to make a trap to catch a bigger animal, the snares are good and all but the amount of meat you get from rabbits is sometimes only enough to get you through the day, without really gaining anything extra to store :-)

The Figure-4 Trap is literally your best friend when it comes to animal food procurement.

Make it from smallish-sticks and logs to kill rabbits and squirrels. Larger sticks and logs to kill deer and wolves. Heavier logs to kill bears. Yes, you can kill bears with a Figure-4 trap, if you make it right. All you need is 3 sticks and a log, things that are all readily available in the woods...

ROFL good luck killing a deer or wolf with a figure 4 trap. The limiting factor is the size of the fall needed. A single person would have a difficult time lifting that into place. And with the limited resources in the game the closest you could get to would be to strip cedar bark to create a rope, then use that to lift the fall. I figure that would likely take a week or more to make (and a huge amount of gathering. I've spun rope it's NOT fast).

As for pit traps I'd love to see you try to dig into the frozen ground. I'll bee eating fish and rabbits while you starve chipping away.

Here's some traps I found that could be used to trap bear. Not sure if they are meant to actually kill the bear or just to trap it. Well, the last trap is certainly not meant to kill it unless it's by starvation...

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/34110/34110-h/34110-h.htm#C02

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/34110/34110-h/34110-h.htm#C06

Now I'm not a trapper but it seems to me it's possible to create snares or traps that would catch or kill larger animals like deer and wolves. We could braid multiple fishing lines (made from gut) into a rope strong enough to hold a larger animal. With said rope you could either create a noose that will catch the head of the animal or have a loop slightly raised off the ground that will catch a leg. This might not kill the animal but it would make it a lot easier to get close enough to kill it using a spear or club.

But aside from building your own traps for larger animals, pre-made metal bear traps could be added to the game. They could deteriorate with use so the player needs to maintain them.

Same story with the bow. A hunting bow could be added to the game. Some arrows could be found, more could be made (requires a high crafting level). Arrows would deteriorate with every shot and have a chance of getting destroyed as well (animal falls on the arrow when it dies?)

ROFL good luck killing a deer or wolf with a figure 4 trap. The limiting factor is the size of the fall needed. A single person would have a difficult time lifting that into place. And with the limited resources in the game the closest you could get to would be to strip cedar bark to create a rope, then use that to lift the fall. I figure that would likely take a week or more to make (and a huge amount of gathering. I've spun rope it's NOT fast).

As for pit traps I'd love to see you try to dig into the frozen ground. I'll bee eating fish and rabbits while you starve chipping away.

Weird. I've made 20 feet of rope out of grass, that can support my weight hanging from a beam, in about an hour.

I prefer this method. It is easy, fast, and can be made as strong or weak to suit your needs by making the twist tighter or making the cordage thicker (use more material)

NOTE: With a Figure 4 trap, you don't actually have to lift the weight all that high. The deadfall is supposed to be concentrated on the head/neck of the animal, so it breaks the neck of the prey. And, even if it doesn't, it will still "trap" the animal in place (albeit likely VERY pissed off)

Archived