Keybind issue

UTC-10

I was having recent trouble with my keybinds gettng reset to default. Since I do change my WASD to SZXC that was kind of noticeable.  

Hinterland suggested to others to go to the folder TheLongDarkNoSync and delete the configuration files there. 

I discovered that the folder: TheLongDarkNoSync contains files of the form: usercfg.xxxxx.  The "xxxxx" represent the build numbers.   Towards the end of that long list of files I had several (64569, 67831, and 68231) that had the same date (October 17, 2020)  and time stamp.  I also found a usercfg.68231 that had a more recent date.  After several iterations of experimentation, I think the October 17, 2020 usercfg.68231 is the correct config file and the "newer" usercfg.68231 was not.  With the "newer" one out of the way, my keybinds did not revert to default.  This seems to be holding. 

Something may have gone wrong when Escape the Darkwalker event ended, which was about where my keybind issue arose.  What I have done seems to work. 

Good luck.

I followed your suggestion and deleted  usercfg.68231.  After that I changed my TAB key to sprint. and it was retained after exiting, and re-starting. 

I tried changing a couple of other keys but had a few problems so gave up with those changes, except TAB for sprinting.  I couldn't be bothered to systematically check and record the key problems.  I was content just to get out with the sprint key changed

I have to revise what I said in my previous message.  In a later re-start I found that my key-bindings were not saved. I am puzzled how I got it wrong. I am confused over the whole issue and now can't be bothered to investigate further.

That I can't be bother to investigate further is because I am a little irritated by a number of minor faults that have appeared since the DarkWalker update.  There is now a bug, or change, when picking up objects. I notice it most with meat or wood.  I sometimes have a problem transferring items between my backpack and a container. 

Edited by peteloud

Same issues here. Wont save key bindings and item selection is wonky (I have to hunt for a good spot to select an item). And this happend after the Halloween update. I found the config file, deleted it and hey! It loaded my old key bindings. But, If I change them again, it writes a new config file and I'm back to square one. Bleh.

I have heard that what I found does not hold for everyone, all the time, but it holds for me and I have no explanation.  I do know that for whatever reason the usercfg.68231 is smaller than the user001 file and that the "modify" date is still stuck on October 17 though the created and accessed notations in properties is more current. Might be a glitch on my PC at that, but as long as the keybinds stick, I guess I can't complain.  😲

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,

same problem here after the v1.88 hotfix (build 69021).

After reading a couple of associated topics, I have managed to solve this issue by renaming the "TheLongDarkNoSync" folder to "TheLongDarkNoSync.bak" (in "...\AppData\Local\Hinterland\") - thus creating a backup copy of this folder and letting the game create a new one with the settings file. The key bindings are properly saving now.

Vic

Edited by Viktor Kvasnica
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Viktor Kvasnica said:

Hi folks,

same problem here after the v1.88 hotfix (build 69021).

After reading a couple of associated topics, I have managed to solve this issue by renaming the "TheLongDarkNoSync" folder to "TheLongDarkNoSync.bak" (in "...\AppData\Local\Hinterland\") - . . . . .

I followed your suggestion and it seems to be saving the new keybind.  I saved, exited and retarted a couple of times and it was still keeping the new keybind. 

My sound level seem to have been changed.  I don't know if this is anything to do with the new changing the keybind. It is a problem which seemed to appear with the recent updates.  I haven't checked it out properly so it could be something completely different.

On 12/6/2020 at 5:24 PM, peteloud said:

I followed your suggestion and it seems to be saving the new keybind.  I saved, exited and retarted a couple of times and it was still keeping the new keybind. 

My sound level seem to have been changed.  I don't know if this is anything to do with the new changing the keybind. It is a problem which seemed to appear with the recent updates.  I haven't checked it out properly so it could be something completely different.

I am glad it helped you too.

Regarding the sound level problem... The game created settings file with all settings set to their default value, thus the audio levels will be default too. You can check the in-game audio settings if they are set properly as you need them to be.