Renewable Items

whirls

upon starting the game it says, it doesn't represent the reality. I also like it, because more interesting stuff can be added into the game (like wolves attac humans, ...).

Therefore why not make more items renewable - even if it is unrealistic? It doesn't mean to make the game easier 😉

- Like every 50 or 100 days, mushrooms, berries, etc. will spawn.
- Or having a replacement for matches like fire stones?
- Human made stuff like ammo and clothes are being spawned again after some time or being dropped by newly crashed planes?

Providing a sandbox with endless conditions will motivate players to keep playing even when they waste (accidently) alot of stuff - like me.

5 hours ago, whirls said:

Therefore why not make more items renewable - even if it is unrealistic? It doesn't mean to make the game easier 😉

No, it means it's easier. Each item must be paid for in blood. For each match you must be sure that it is not spent in vain.

5 hours ago, whirls said:

- Like every 50 or 100 days, mushrooms, berries, etc. will spawn.
- Or having a replacement for matches like fire stones?
- Human made stuff like ammo and clothes are being spawned again after some time or being dropped by newly crashed planes?

This has all been discussed many times and everyone has different opinions. My opinion. Although the game warns about not reality, it always tries not to go beyond the logical. All your suggestions will simply be removed from the challenge game. Well, finally think about how some players managed to survive 5000 days? The whole point of this sandbox is to survive as long as possible in a world where resources are dwindling.

16 hours ago, k0s0ff said:

No, it means it's easier. Each item must be paid for in blood. For each match you must be sure that it is not spent in vain.

This has all been discussed many times and everyone has different opinions. My opinion. Although the game warns about not reality, it always tries not to go beyond the logical. All your suggestions will simply be removed from the challenge game. Well, finally think about how some players managed to survive 5000 days? The whole point of this sandbox is to survive as long as possible in a world where resources are dwindling.

I think I dont need to give examples where you "need to pay blood" for something which has an endless setting. Most people anyway wont survive endlessly. Besides its unrealistic to stick in one area the whole live (5000 days) and nothing is becoming renewable. Actually I understand you: you are a "hardcore" guy like the no-hit-run dudes in darksouls. But you don't need to force that to everyone. We can provide such mode - maybe with even less and less animals to hunt down - like the "Escape the Darkwalker" event. For some people it makes fun while others have their own challenges and difficulties with this game. I don't want to become a perfectionists. I want to make mistakes without restarting the game. And I am willing to pay for these errors, but not for the rest of the sandbox-life. Challenges which coming up only with bad sides, but no goodies (which is the case in long term in The Long Dark), aren't natural. Its fictitious created by human boredom.

The game is still very great! But I rather would like to play interloper difficulty with renewable stuff rather voyager without renewables. I think its a matter of taste. Punishing myself because I lost 3 hammers and that I cannot create my own selfmade hammer for the rest of the 5000 days is just ridiculous...

25 minutes ago, whirls said:

Actually I understand you: you are a "hardcore" guy like the no-hit-run dudes in darksouls. But you don't need to force that to everyone.

Hi. Well, k0s0ff is not wrong, and that is not the point. The game is perma-death. That alone and basically all the game has been since Alpha shows that the game is all about being non-renewable. You are supposed to run out of some materials if you are going for a long term survival... and yet you very rarely do, especially if you play conservatively. 

Even still, most items are actually renewable - in a sense that you can find them washed up on the coastline, and the beachcoming items respawn every few days. And these items rarely include items like meds, even ammo, or green saplings. That makes it all "renewable" just at a cost of having to gather them for the thin ice of the coastal zones. They need to be renewable so that you have access to the meds items for example after they had "run out". Cloth is one of the more common items, and its also one of the items people run out of, due to intense item repairs.

Hammers and hacksaws are perfectly renewable-powered, because you can do most of the stuff in the game with these two tools, and you can repair them with simple/Quality tools, and you can repair said tools with scrap metal. And scrap metal is one of the more common beachcombing items.

25 minutes ago, whirls said:

But I rather would like to play interloper difficulty with renewable stuff rather voyager without renewables.

That shows me you dont really have an idea of how much items are there to gather in a world of Voyageur. If you lost 3 hammers cause you havent repaired them, then that is on you for not being careful, and having a way to repair the trully "broken" items is not a fix - you, being more careful about breaking items next time, is. Also, there is way more then 3 hammers in a world, you are likely to find just 3 hammers inside one of the TWM lockers on Voyageur difficulty. 

With all that said, I must say I am greatly against this idea. I believe the renewable plants would be a decent mod for the game once mod support is out, but  I dont think it would bring that much to the game as is.

Edited by Mroz4k

40 minutes ago, Mroz4k said:

The game is perma-death.

Perma-death and renewable are not conflicting with each other.

42 minutes ago, Mroz4k said:

you can find them washed up on the coastline, and the beachcoming items respawn every few days. And these items rarely include items like meds, even ammo, or green saplings.

Thank you. I didn't know also ammo were washed up! Anyways the game for me is about stalking and scavanging on the mainland not on the icy beaches. The sandbox is for me dead, if every house and cave is explored, because then its playing sit and wait. I mean after few 100 days the gameplay in TLD changes alot in from "Interesting Exploring and risking dangers" to "Get your ass up and kill some deer".

I understand you guys. I like and play perma-death alot. What do you think about following idea?: Once every 365 days there is this one millisecond of spring, where most of the plans regrows and people come to the island and in the next millisecond all people are dead or left. But somehow your character couldn't notice it but sees again some resources around, which makes the sandbox explorable again and there is no need for endless icy beach-walking. Just a suggestion. This would bring some realism into the game - except planet Earth went back to the great ice age.

1 hour ago, whirls said:

I understand you guys. I like and play perma-death alot. What do you think about following idea?: Once every 365 days there is this one millisecond of spring, where most of the plans regrows and people come to the island and in the next millisecond all people are dead or left. But somehow your character couldn't notice it but sees again some resources around, which makes the sandbox explorable again and there is no need for endless icy beach-walking. Just a suggestion. This would bring some realism into the game - except planet Earth went back to the great ice age.

I somehow got used to the idea that there is no spring and will not be. I left such hopes for TLD2. Or other games. In any case, to each his own. Everyone sees their own in this game. I see an aligoria on the modern world. Although I do not share such illusions.

Does it need to be either one way or the other? I understand players who want a really challenging, non-renewable experience. That the only goal of survival mode is to survive, and that players who want to survive should be more conservative with their resources. I'm not discounting that, or trying to complain like "waaahhh!! the game is too hard because I don't have 7 guns and 50 pounds of food I can find outside my door!!" The Long Dark is built on the idea that eventually, the resources you have won't be enough. There will be, inevitably, death. And a lot of players prefer that experience.

But at the same time, it seems somewhat unrealistic there wouldn't be some renewability beyond beach-combing, especially where plants are concerned. If rosehips, mushrooms, saplings, and old beard plants can exist for multiple in game months without rotting or freezing to death, it stands to reason there must be enough renewable plant life for them to exist. In addition, herbivores like deer survive in the game for years- surely there must be enough consistent vegetation beyond what the player interacts with so they can continue to live/respawn. It wouldn't be much- but if after maybe one or two in game years there was a respawn of certain items like a few scattered birch saplings, or some mushrooms- that would be believable to me. I mean, we're talking about a game where a freaky Aurora makes wolves glow wild colors and sparks broken-down technology that's been frozen and weathered to life again. If that's something that's possible, why can't a bit of renewability be as well? 

Plus, snow is rarely stationary, and since the game's lore is based in a geo-magnetic event that drastically changed the region's geography to the point that survivors either had to move from suddenly dangerous areas/couldn't access new locations (as seen in survivor notes), couldn't that also be explored? Maybe something like rare earthquakes or avalanches that occur throughout the regions if you survive long enough, uncovering new locations/items you may have not had access to in the current geography. It would inspire players to explore the regions again, combing for things they missed/couldn't get before; and could prevent the inevitable stagnancy where you've either used up all your resources and the only way out is death, or you've locked down one region and there's not much incentive to go back to it. It adds more playability to survival mode. And in the end, I would imagine something like this could be tweaked in the custom options- like you could spawn a world where there is eventual renewability, versus a world where you could switch that off if you wanted the game to be more challenging. Plus! It wouldn't even need to be overpowered- just makes it more accessible.

And I do understand that the developers have tweaked things like wildlife behavior and game mechanics to make the game harder- such as how it only takes 12 hours before you dehydration is fatal, rather than in 3 days irl. Plus, wolves rarely circle around humans and attack en masse. That's just the way the game is played. But I don't see why renewability couldn't be some variable you could change in a custom setting, as it could be a good safety net for newer players that could give them a chance to get on their feet and learn when it comes to natural resources, instead of just ruining their whole playthrough. In my experience, something like that could be equally inspiring and demoralizing- making it less accessible to newer players interested in the game but haven't followed all the updates. To an extent, at least- it just makes sense that something like this could be customizable for different player experiences. 

Sorry if this post seems rude, I genuinely don't want to offend anyone. I'm a newer player myself, and I'm not really...very good at the game; I just killed my first moose a few days ago, for instance (and it took me a couple tries because I kept missing my arrow shots). But it just seems logical, at least in the lore the game establishes, that there's something to be said for sparse renewability; which could be manipulated like wildlife/weather behavior to tailor the game's experience to your play style.