Best Survival Location

Guest Kane Parry

Guest Kane Parry

Acting like a estate agent/realtor sell and describe your favroite survival location or building explaining the good reasons and why its the place to live and survive 

Camp office/Lonely lighthouse and the pleasant valley farmhouse. As much as the farmhouse and just  pleasant valley overall has killed me, I have to say If it were in a nicer region it would be 10/10 but it just couldnt go in another region. Camp office is there because it is just the place to make a base.

A great location is the northern part of Mountain Town, using St. Christopher's Church as a central hub.  Good hunting in all directions, car trunks for meat storage, Milton and the Meadows Farm for big stoves and materials, firewood everywhere, and the workbench Trailer as a jumping off point for the abundant resources of Hushed River Valley.  With a scenic trip through the Basin and Muskeg, you'll be fishing up lamp oil & restocking ammo at the glorious Bleak Inlet vacation paradise! 😀:huntingknife:🐺🐺🐺

• Like 1

Wanted: person with love of nature and outdoor living!

Come enjoy the finest in natural beauty and remote living at the lively mountaineers cabin! Located in the remote yet exclusive Timberwolf mountain neighborhood, this place boasts a million dollar view of crystal lake, a boat dock, ice fishing hut included for the cold weather months, an actual front door to keep the wildlife (and nosy neighbors) out, two deluxe bunks with actual memory foam mattresses (it’s like living in the ritz!), underground storage for food, supplies, and other sundry items, and a beautiful stone fireplace for you to throw your bearskin rug in front of. The possibilities are limited only by your imagination, and bears.

Enjoy quick access to the summit and gorge as well, an unrestricted hunting license, and all the looting you can carry from the plane crash/general store. Breathtaking views abound, as does wildlife that comes right up to and possibly through your front door! Some upkeep will be required, as will proficiency in timber felling and firewood procuring, however, this place is a hunter and fisher’s dream!

Disclaimers: This location not recommended for children as there are no schools currently and they’d likely just be wolfbait. Enter at your own risk. Temperatures may drop precipitously with little warning. Buyer pays closing costs. Previous owner was eaten by bears.

If interested contact Tiff🦋Tastic at 1-800-Too Cold!!

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

You know what's been growing on me lately for a long term lair is the Hunting Lodge in the
Broken Railway Region.

It's also one of the oldest intact buildings on the island all things being relative to the lore if I understand the history correctly.  Supposedly built by a wealthy land baron probably right around the time Mountain Town burgeoned into a thriving mining community.   Considering it's age the building is in surprising excellent condition and could probably be considered a historic landmark as it relates to the Island's history.  Some pretty good shelf and table space available there also for storage and display purposes?  So, considering the age of the building and the changes in tenancy over the years, the ole lodge apparently has weathered quite well all things considered!  
You have all the amenities that you might need including 6 burner stove, stone fire place with gun rack.  Downstairs you have plenty of shelving for bulk storage, materials and of course the ever functional workbench.  I kinda figured the maybe that the wealthy owner of the railroad yard was responsible for some of the modernization.  Besides bringing the power and phone lines up, they managed to bring in a luxurious soaking tub.  considering there wasn't any plumbing, somebody had to heat water on the stove down below and bring it up to fill the tub.  hence the three buckets in the tub. 🛀

Directly outside your doors, both forward and rear entrances you have access to ample fuel sources and supplies.  The nearby rabbit population is prolific enough to keep you satiated and you'll have an endless supply of pelts and hides with which to craft many mittens and caps.  The occasional patrolling wolf is easily dispatched also providing your domicile with fresh meat and pelts further helping to feed and cloth you regularly.  The immediate vicinity is also features a known moose spawn point practically outside your door and with a quick glance off the ledge you can eyeball the bear cave down below in the valley to see if ole grumpy is on the prowl. 

With an easily accessible hunters blind just outside the protected fenced in area, you have a covered structure from which you can survey the lake and surroundings for game.  The only downside is no fishing shack, so if your planning on using lanterns for lighting, you must plan to bring a good supply of lamp fuel oil. 

I was just there recently and wasn't in a hurry to leave anytime soon...

screen_4f65ceeb-4777-4e33-829d-c06f64113791_hi.png.73c3d8ddf7c31d76aae3e592af6cd012.png

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I think I might spend a month at both of those locations. Its fun to switch up your routine every now and then, and my bellowed Camp office will not go anywhere. 

I really, really love the Hunting lodge, but it is just so inconvinient for survival... The approach arch is very long, and there is a lot of predators hanging about. If there was one at the lake of Mystery lake, I would never live anywhere else.

That said - I quite like the living-off the land here and there. Mountaineers is fun to live in for a while, especially if one wants to work on their outdoor survival skills and want a reasonable location for it. 

If you're interested in living off the land, there are some great options in the Hushed River Valley. I mean, that region is just loaded with caves. Each of them has advantages and disadvantages, so it's hard to choose a favourite one.

One of my favourite options, though, is the southern entrance to the southern Ice Cave -- the one on the High Plateau. Its biggest feature: there's a room very near the entrance  that's always lit up, and it's toasty warm all the time.  The main issue with living here is the lack of hunting options right outside the door, aside from the occasional wolf and a few rabbits to the east. If you want to hunt, you'll have to climb down, either through the ice cave (short rope) or using a climbing rope (long, tiring).

A better option is Lake Cave. You have plenty of cattails around the lake, rabbits to snare on the southeast side,  deer (and even more rabbits) on the west side, and a moose right outside your door. For those who enjoy wolf hunting, there's one that sometimes spawns not too far to the west -- and no need to be worried about being eaten by a bear -- they don't spawn anywhere nearby! The cave's inside can be used for curing hides, if desired. Coal to keep you toasty during those occasional blizzards can be found in the cave, or in the caves at Pensive Vista and Peak Cave. Aside from being chilly during blizzards, its only other disadvantage is that the waterfall can be rather noisy. You can get around this by choosing to live at Pensive Vista (enjoy the view of the Eastern Hushed River) or Peak Cave (beware the long climb, you might get a sprain).

Valley Cave is also a solid choice. Once again, you have a moose that spawns only as few meters from your doorstep, as well as rabbits. Deer are plentiful, and there's no bears anywhere around to worry about. Cure your moose hide in the cave and live off the meat for days and days. While a single wolf does spawn est of the cave, a skilled hunter should have no problems dealing with it. If you're in need of coal, or for some reason run out of game to hunt, there's plenty of coal and cattails all along the river. One thing to keep in mind: Getting out of the Eastern Hushed River Valley  can be challenging. You will need to do a lot of rope climbing.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

In Hushed river valley, Id say just about all the Ice caves provide a good spot for survival. I would scatter some water, firewood and matches at every entrance so that I can use them as a safehouse should the event turn real unfortunate. 

I do the same with outer caves, but I tend to leave more firewood in those as that is neccesary to get thru the night in them should I be forced to hunker down, and sleep without attracting predators. 

8 minutes ago, Kane Parry said:

i always seem to die on HRV i always underestimate the climbs and the weather but i will check out these locations 

I think HRV is mostly about the map knowledge. There is a lot of places where you can "hang by the thread" if things go unfortunate, but you kinda need to know them and have enough mats on you to make it through. I would suggest to always try to avoid rope climbing there. As that just puts you into such a disadvantage if you run into an animal after. The upper parts of HRV can both be accessed through Ice caves, which is probably the safest way to move around, even considering the wolf that can be found inside them. The Monolith plateau can be also reached by climbing a path with rose hip climbable walls, but you will need a hatchet to clear out the bushes in the way if you want to take that route. If you know that you will be climbing, be sure to plan it in a way that you will be able to rest up your exhaustion after. There are reasons to climb the longest climb ever, which is the rope from Monolith area into the "moose overlook" area, as there is often a hidden cache there with a cooking skillbook.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Guest Kane Parry
6 minutes ago, Mroz4k said:

In Hushed river valley, Id say just about all the Ice caves provide a good spot for survival. I would scatter some water, firewood and matches at every entrance so that I can use them as a safehouse should the event turn real unfortunate. 

I do the same with outer caves, but I tend to leave more firewood in those as that is neccesary to get thru the night in them should I be forced to hunker down, and sleep without attracting predators. 

I think HRV is mostly about the map knowledge. There is a lot of places where you can "hang by the thread" if things go unfortunate, but you kinda need to know them and have enough mats on you to make it through. I would suggest to always try to avoid rope climbing there. As that just puts you into such a disadvantage if you run into an animal after. The upper parts of HRV can both be accessed through Ice caves, which is probably the safest way to move around, even considering the wolf that can be found inside them. The Monolith plateau can be also reached by climbing a path with rose hip climbable walls, but you will need a hatchet to clear out the bushes in the way if you want to take that route. If you know that you will be climbing, be sure to plan it in a way that you will be able to rest up your exhaustion after. There are reasons to climb the longest climb ever, which is the rope from Monolith area into the "moose overlook" area, as there is often a hidden cache there with a cooking skillbook.

Thank you for the advice :)

I once got caught just south of Stairsteps Lake with 4% condition in Interloper, and a blizzard blew in. There's a reason why I carry lots of coal along when exploring just about everywhere... if it weren't for my 10-12 chunks of coal, there's no way I would have survived the night.

@Kane Parry -- If you do not know the layout of the Hushed River Valley, I would seriously recommend exploring the map on Pilgrim or Voyageur before trying to survive there in Interloper.

• Like 1

On 11/15/2020 at 8:00 AM, Kane Parry said:

i always seem to die on HRV i always underestimate the climbs and the weather but i will check out these locations 

I was always somewhat fearful of this zone as well on my runs.  It would always be the last place I visit so that I was as prepared as possible (mainly clothing).  On one of my longer-more established saves, I made a point of completely scouring the zone.  It took some time, but I eventually knew my way around quite well.  I love it now.  As others have mentioned, with the abundance of caves, survival isn't difficult at all (once you know where they are!).

On 11/15/2020 at 6:49 AM, Glflegolas said:

If you're interested in living off the land, there are some great options in the Hushed River Valley.

I think I like HRV because I can't get the whole map in my head at once.  I've spent a few weeks visits on interloper and still don't have it all memorized. I think it's due to all the different elevations. There are a ton of elevations between the valley cave (bottom) and the peak cave (top). Sometimes I wish I could turn on fly-mode/no-clip like other games. :)

• Like 1