Key Bindings not being saved

hozz1235

Perhaps Hinterland should not have rolled out the Unity update concurrently with the Escape the Darkwalker event. 

As for the user file location your path to the folder where it should be looks okay to me:  C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Hinterland\TheLongDark

On a PC, under Windows 10, try opening file explorer and the doing a search for "*.68231" either on the Users folder and subfolders or on the local drive which would be "C:" for me since I have only one drive and see what it turns up.   68231 is the file extension for the build and the "*" is the wildcard.   The file you want is "user001.68231" and hopefully it will turn up.

If it does not turn up, perhaps start then pause the game, switch back to the desktop and try the search again.  If the game runs it has to be somewhere (I expect).  If for some reason the user001 files is not being saved then that could point to why your key bindings revert to default every time the game starts. 

Good luck.

FWIW, for me and my PC, I have figured out what was happening with losing my keybinds.  In the folder: TheLongDarkNoSync there are or maybe files of the form: usercfg.xxxxx where the xxxxx is the build number.  The current (November 2020) build seems to be 68231 so the file in the aforementioned folder would be usercfg.68231. 

The strange/funny thing I discovered was that (for me) there were TWO usecfg.68231 files, one dated October 17 and the other from November (after the Darkwalker event concluded).  People familiar with PCs (Windows 10) would know that is not supposed to happen.  Each is a discrete file.

Anyway, for me, the later file from November once it was renamed to xusercfg.68231 (could just delete it but I kind of am reluctant to do things like that until I know I don't need it) and the October file left alone, the keybind problem disappeared.  

Why did this happen? I  don't know.  But at least I don't have the keybind resetting to default problem anymore... for now. 

My experience with the keybind problem has been strange and probably specific to me and my PC.  For some reason,  somewhere, my PC seems to have made several usercfgs going back a few updates have a modified date of October 17.  Even with that last update of a day ago, the usercfg.69021 file has a current created date (as of the update and when I started TLD), a current accessed date, and the same modified date (October 17).  And I still have not had the keybind problem crop up. 

I had hoped that it was a simplistic interim fix but apparently not.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,

same problem here after the v1.88 hotfix (build 69021).

After reading a couple of associated topics, I have managed to solve this issue by renaming the "TheLongDarkNoSync" folder to "TheLongDarkNoSync.bak" (in "...\AppData\Local\Hinterland\") - thus creating a backup copy of this folder and letting the game create a new one with the settings file. The key bindings are properly saving now.

Vic

Edited by Viktor Kvasnica
  • Upvote 3

Viktor,

I see that your comment is also in General Discussion.

I replied,

I followed your suggestion and it seems to be saving the new keybind.  I saved, exited and retarted a couple of times and it was still keeping the new keybind. 

My sound level seem to have been changed.  I don't know if this is anything to do with the new changing the keybind. It is a problem which seemed to appear with the recent updates.  I haven't checked it out properly so it could be something completely different.

With the above hint, I went back to my TheLongDarkNoSync folder, commented out the usercfg.69558 file and started the game.  Got in and *voila* the keybinds were what they should have been.  I went back to the TLDNS folder, looked and found a new usercfg.69558 file that exhibited two salient characteristics common to my earlier usercfg files (i.e. usercfg.69021) where my keybinds had held - file size 7,306 bytes and Modified Date of October 17, 2020.  

The commented out usercfg file had 6,201 bytes and a normal modified date.  When the update occurred, that file had been about 1,000 bytes smaller. 

I do not know what is happening other than now my keybinds do not reset.  I was surprised on the Hesitant Prospect update that the usercfg.69558 files that had been created had been about 5 K Bytes (and I lost badges I earned, got other badges I did not earn, and lost all my feats, and keybinds reset).  

I just checked again.  The keybinds held but the badges and feats remain as they were changed during the Hesitant Prospect update. 

20 hours ago, UTC-10 said:

With the above hint, I went back to my TheLongDarkNoSync folder, commented out the usercfg.69558 file and started the game.  Got in and *voila* the keybinds were what they should have been.  I went back to the TLDNS folder, looked and found a new usercfg.69558 file that exhibited two salient characteristics common to my earlier usercfg files (i.e. usercfg.69021) where my keybinds had held - file size 7,306 bytes and Modified Date of October 17, 2020.  

The commented out usercfg file had 6,201 bytes and a normal modified date.  When the update occurred, that file had been about 1,000 bytes smaller. 

I do not know what is happening other than now my keybinds do not reset.  I was surprised on the Hesitant Prospect update that the usercfg.69558 files that had been created had been about 5 K Bytes (and I lost badges I earned, got other badges I did not earn, and lost all my feats, and keybinds reset).  

I just checked again.  The keybinds held but the badges and feats remain as they were changed during the Hesitant Prospect update. 

As I know by far, the unlocked feats and completed challenges are stored in the profile file, not in the settings file. You might try to rename the whole "TheLongDarkNoSync" folder and let the game create new settings file (with all settings reverted to their respective default values).

I had several settings files with different extensions/builds, one even without a build extension ("user001.cfg"). They all could be a source of some conflict. I had only one settings file "usercfg.69021" afterwards.

I tested the new Hesitant Prospect update now: key bindings were set to defaults again; feats and challenges were as I remembered; I have a new "usercfg.69558" settings file (besides the "usercfg.69021"). New key bindings are saved properly to the new settings file "usercfg.69558".

Edited by Viktor Kvasnica
Grammar

I have been going through the same thoughts as you guys.  I am surprised that this has slipped past Hinterland.

I have a tremendous respect for the skills of the Hinterland guys so I am surprised when something relatively simple spoils the gameplay.  Because of my respect for them I am content to ignore the problem for a while, recognising that they must have other higher priorities  at the moment.  But I do hope they sort out that and a few other recent secondary problems soon.

• Upvote 1

In an email from Hinterland responding to my bug report, they said that they were working on a fix for the badge and feats problem which should come out in a hotfix soon (date indeterminate).  They also noted that they were working on fixing the persistent keybind reset problem but the solution for that may take a little longer and probably would be in a later hotfix (again, date indeterminate).

For whatever reason, my PC seems to have fixed my keybinds reset problem in a probably non-reproducible manner, at least I don't know why it is now not a problem, but for now it is fixed.  😲

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

When the small update to 1.92 occurred, at some point my usercfg.70699 decided to reset my keybinds.  I renamed the offending usercfg file (which had more current dates for creation, modification and accessed)  and let TLD make a new one based on my strange usercfg.70139 that has a modified date of October 17 and the newly created usercfg.70699 had the same modified date (Oct 17), same files size (7,306 bytes) and no longer changed my keybinds. 

This got me to thinking.  The usercfg does not change all that much.  It is likely a base configuration setup for the game. The game then updates that setup based on the appropriate user001 file (in my case).  My PC seems to prevent any updates of the usercfg file unless there is an update, so maybe...

If one still has usercfg files that date back to before the keybind problem really arose (for me that was with Darkwalker ending) and renamed any usercfg back to that time (I tend to not delete files incase I might need them), then had TLD recreate the usercfg.70699 (brand new) from that one, the keybind problem might be avoided so long as nothing caused TLD to update the usercfg file, like an update or some other player action.   What kind of action, I have no idea. 

Not a permanent fix, if it works, but a temporary one that might ease some of the annoyance until Hinterland can put out a real fix. 

Obviously I don't want to test this on my PC as it might make the magic go away... 😅

• 1 month later...

Just thought I'd add a post that the update 1.93 solved the keybind problem. 

I went back, put an older version of usercfg (that had had the problem) in line and got TLD to create an updated usercfg, and no problem with keybinds.  So it was fixed. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/27/2021 at 8:50 PM, UTC-10 said:

Just thought I'd add a post that the update 1.93 solved the keybind problem. 

I went back, put an older version of usercfg (that had had the problem) in line and got TLD to create an updated usercfg, and no problem with keybinds.  So it was fixed. 

Thanks for the info, I am glad to hear that.