Longest Survival times in EscapeTheDarkwalker?

Survival

Hello to the lovely community! I wanted to see the community's attempts in just trying to survive as long as possible before we all meet our grisly end. I managed to make it to 7:19 before fading away to the toxic fog (I have no idea if I broke the previous record or not as many posts on social media are scattered all over the place). Feel free to post on here (no pages are needed. Just pure survival times)! 

Long Dark.jpg

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, ajb1978 said:

8:14 is my best time.  Not sure if I can do better because that's a heck of a time commitment and I don't see myself doing that again.

20201031000600_1.jpg

Holy hell you absolute madman! I honestly have no clue how you went that long! And here I thought that my run was optimized!! How did you last so long? 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Survival said:

Holy hell you absolute madman! I honestly have no clue how you went that long! And here I thought that my run was optimized!! How did you last so long? 

Running each region until the fog had already appeared, and in several cases remaining on the deadly side of an area transition until I was nearly dead (to buy a little bit of extra time), then crossing over to safe territory and sleeping off the damage.  The trick there is knowing what transition zones are linked to.  For instance, the cave linking Crumbling Highway to Desolation Point counts as part of Crumbling Highway.  So if you run the DP clock to zero, the moment you enter that cave you're no longer in toxic fog. Similarly, Cinder Hills Coal Mine is part of Coastal Highway, so if you're in PV you can hang out outside the mine entrance until the fog arrives and have clean air simply by entering the mine.  Another thing you have to plan on is your food being destroyed.  Cross into safe territory, drop all your food, then cross back before you wait out the clock.  Of course, you also have to plan your trips so that you avoid the Darkwalker while waiting just outside the entrance.  It requires a very strong knowledge of the maps as you have to lure the darkwalker away from the area transition when there's only minutes to spare, and the fog is at its thickest.

My first attempt I gathered all 10 pages and only lasted about 5 hours, but I learned a lot.  My second attempt I deliberately waited until the fog appeared to see if it was an insta-kill, or if I had time.  Turns out, I had time, and I exploited the crap out of that fact.

(Also interesting fact, the basement of the Abandoned Harris Home in Crumbling Highway shares a timer with Coastal Highway, not Crumbling Highway.  A clever survivor can exploit this.)

• Upvote 1

My first run was an hour and 2 minutes, so I got the Umbra Badge that gives me the Endless Night option in Custom Mode! The run itself didn't go over smoothly as I started in Desolation Point, barely made it to Coastal Highway before the Darkwalker himself appeared. Made it to the Event Camp at Jackrabbit Island and got the loot from there and didn't stay long before placing a lure nearby and retreating.

Was planning to go to Mystery Lake and although I normally know the route to the transition zone from Coastal, in my mix of apprehension and dread and panic, I passed the place and ended up at the Rockfall. By that time, I had placed down my Dispel Fog mark and the toxic fog was building up again, so I made myself a camp fire, gave my girl one last binge of food eating and succumbed to the green guck soon after.

I have done runs lasting 2 hours 20 minutes (5 pages) and 2 hours 7 minutes (6 pages).  I am not particularly interested in extending things beyond the objective of getting the two badges and the feat.   I did a coffee run and got 6 pages but died to wolf attack in Broken Railroad and that ran about 2 hours. 

Congratulations to those who worked to get long survival times. 

Even Dark has posted a video of an 8h 42m run. I was blown away at how he ran up the timer this high. Not only does he wait in each region once the fog starts until he goes down to like 5% condition, but then he also sleeps & recovers back to full in the new region, then goes back to the old region and spends a couple more minutes waiting in the fog until his health goes back down to 5% condition, then he pops an emergency stim to tire himself out, then he goes back to sleep and repeats it some more. Lol. It's pretty insane, I give him credit for the idea.

On 11/8/2020 at 3:35 AM, Kranium said:

I made a few small mistakes, but I'm not doing this again, what a grind!

c8BbBo1.png

Omg wow. Ok I think you win. That is just... wow. Congratulations on that run!

Edited by wilky
  • Upvote 1